Where is this oil leaking from? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > Where is this oil leaking from?

Huge Soft top SaleRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits BLACK FRIDAY SPECIALS!! You asked, we deliver!

Unread 06-20-2011, 11:00 PM   #1
Dusan

Where is this oil leaking from?

I noticed some oil dripping on the driveway and have smelled burning oil when at the lights. I removed the skid plate and noticed the oil is dripping somewhere right and back of the engine. It seems that it also drips on the catalyst so that explains the smell. Anybody have any ideea where it might come from?
2008 WK CRD

1.jpg   2.jpg  
Dusan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-21-2011, 12:41 AM   #2
fatfreddy
2008 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dusan View Post
I noticed some oil dripping on the driveway and have smelled burning oil when at the lights. I removed the skid plate and noticed the oil is dripping somewhere right and back of the engine. It seems that it also drips on the catalyst so that explains the smell. Anybody have any ideea where it might come from?
2008 WK CRD
Check your CCV hose.It's on the rear of the valve cover on the passenger side.Maybe it came un-hooked.
fatfreddy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-21-2011, 07:54 AM   #3
Dusan

It's not the ccv hose. I took the cover off and cannot see any oil, not around ccv nor anywhere.
Unread 06-21-2011, 07:57 AM   #4
CmmdrDan

Is it motor oil or trans oil. The trans cooler lines usually cause problems like this..
CmmdrDan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-21-2011, 08:19 AM   #5
dcecr
2006 WK 

let us know what you find...the burning smell on my 2006 WK (3.7L) is back and its been in the shop three times but they can't figure it out
dcecr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-21-2011, 08:22 AM   #6
Dusan

I'm not sure if it's trans or engine oil. How can I check?
Unread 06-21-2011, 08:27 AM   #7
CmmdrDan

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcecr View Post
let us know what you find...the burning smell on my 2006 WK (3.7L) is back and its been in the shop three times but they can't figure it out
Have them check the sensor in the trans pan. I believe it is at the front of the trans just about the pan. They say the o-ring for the sensor goes bad and it drips right onto the cat. Burning oil smell..No good!

Quote:
I'm not sure if it's trans or engine oil. How can I check?
Trans oil is usually a redish tint.
CmmdrDan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-21-2011, 09:07 AM   #8
Dusan

The oil I'm seeing is black.
Unread 06-21-2011, 09:52 AM   #9
AJeepZJ
2006 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CmmdrDan View Post
Have them check the sensor in the trans pan. I believe it is at the front of the trans just about the pan. They say the o-ring for the sensor goes bad and it drips right onto the cat. Burning oil smell..No good!

Trans oil is usually a redish tint.
Not if the person has never changed it and is agressive on the tranny. Then the trans oil can look like fresh oil. But if he's saying the oil is dark... then thats a different story. And, he needs to get the oil changed too, lol.
Unread 08-10-2013, 12:26 PM   #10
oldsmoke
2009 WK 

Same problem

Quote:
2008 WK CRD
I have the same thing happening on my Jeep. At first I thought it was the dpf regenerating but then I noticed where oil has been dripping down and burning off of the catalyst at the right rear of the motor. I suspect it is coming from the PCV valve which is right above but I still have warranty so I am going to the dealer and point it out to them.
oldsmoke is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
oil leak

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.