When do you change gears ? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > When do you change gears ?

Savvy/Currie Aluminum Control ArmsRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4w

Unread 10-31-2014, 06:13 PM   #1
Joeybsmooth
2005 WK 

When do you change gears ?

I now this is really a silly question, but...when you are changing gears manually at what speed do you change from one to another.

Joeybsmooth is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-31-2014, 07:46 PM   #2
90grandoneer
2006 WK 

It depends what you're trying to achieve. Are you talking light throttle, medium throttle or full throttle? Are you talking about all out racing, or ??? Generally, the stock shift schedules are set too low, IMO. With your Hemi you'd normally want to get the RPM up a little more (light throttle) before you shift it. Same with medium throttle. Your full throttle upshifts (with the stock cam) should be somewhere around 5600-5800 RPM. Above that your power starts falling off fast. I use the Superchips Advanced Transmission Tuning Application and have most of my light throttle upshifts to occur at about 2300 RPM, and as the throttle is advanced the RPM goes higher before upshifts. My 4-5 upshift occurs at about 2400-2500 RPM, or around 70 mph. All of these settings allow for much more MDS "on" time and, for me, better fuel economy. With my mods., on the highway, I mostly drive in 4th gear (usually 63-68 mph).....2100-2400 RPM. Wide open throttle upshifts on mine are set to 6200 RPM with the rev. limiter set at 6500 RPM. My downshifts are also quite sensitive to throttle opening. I have it set so it takes very little more throttle application to make it downshift to the next lower gear. My goal here is to keep the engine from lugging and getting too far below the torque range.
06 GCO, Dk Khaki, QDII, Flshing Hi 3rd Bk Lt, MDS "ON" Lt, Airtab Vortex Gens, Debadged, Fumoto Drain Valve, BT Catch Can, Chopped EGR Tube, SRT8 CAI, K&N Filter, Sonnax Trans Line Press Booster, SC Tuner W/Adv Trans Tune App, DS Tuner, Cust tubular hdrs w/3 in Magnaflow/Xlerator AP Exh Sys, Bilsteins, SRT Springs/Sways, Cust Eng Cvr, SRT8 frt/rear bumpers, FRI Sidewinder Cam/6.1 valvetrain, SLP 25% UD Pulley, BBK true 90mm T-Body, SOS Ign Coils w/.060 spark plug gaps, SRT Reps with 265/45&295/40X20's.
90grandoneer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-01-2014, 02:05 AM   #3
patience
2006 WK 

Only manually change gears when in low range.
patience is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-01-2014, 06:56 AM   #4
JeepN4KC
Keep on Jeepin on........

Quote:
Originally Posted by patience View Post
Only manually change gears when in low range.
^^^ Wrong.

Where are you getting this information?

My Build Thread WK
My Other Build Thread XJ
'01 XJ with some stuff
Sept 2013 Cherokee of the Month
'07 WK with some other stuff
~RED WK CLUB #7~
'11 KK with mostly stock stuff
'06WK our first Jeep with stock stuff - totalled and gone
JeepN4KC is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-02-2014, 12:17 AM   #5
patience
2006 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepN4KC View Post
^^^ Wrong.

Where are you getting this information?
Yeah sorry about that princess, I should have put 'I' at the start of my sentence , but I was answering the thread title directly.
Got my information from page 276 & 277 of my owners manual, you know that book in the glove compartment .
patience is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-02-2014, 07:43 AM   #6
JeepN4KC
Keep on Jeepin on........

Quote:
Originally Posted by patience View Post

Yeah sorry about that princess, I should have put 'I' at the start of my sentence , but I was answering the thread title directly.
Got my information from page 276 & 277 of my owners manual, you know that book in the glove compartment .
I'm very aware of the owners manual and then some. Your post puts you in the category of folks that come and go and get little respect. You will clearly never contribute to this forum or the Jeep community so how about you crawl back to where you came from.

My Build Thread WK
My Other Build Thread XJ
'01 XJ with some stuff
Sept 2013 Cherokee of the Month
'07 WK with some other stuff
~RED WK CLUB #7~
'11 KK with mostly stock stuff
'06WK our first Jeep with stock stuff - totalled and gone
JeepN4KC is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-02-2014, 10:04 AM   #7
Red_liner740

I find my CRD unnecessarily holds 4th when it could shift to 5th on level ground. I usually manually shift it to 5th. Did people know that even if you're in D it will up shift on command as long as you're above a certain rpm (1500 on CRDs)?
Red_liner740 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-09-2014, 05:11 AM   #8
Craigyfm
2006 WK 

Could be a fluid issue, try changing the transmission fluid and filters. You'd be amazed the difference it makes. Really simple and there's videos on you tube if your a novice. Good luck
Craigyfm is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.