Which wheels to fit larger tires - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > Which wheels to fit larger tires

Brand New! Quadratec LED Headlights!FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 11-20-2013, 07:11 AM   #16
sk1er18
2007 XK Commander 

It depends on the tire.... but id still recommend spacers. We put some 245/75/17s on my friends xk; he cleared the bolt with ease but rubbed the unibody at full lock (not the pinch weld)

Unread 11-20-2013, 07:49 AM   #17
ttusqrl
WK Supporter
2005 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by msfulcher77 View Post
Thanks for the info. Does that mean, when I lift, I can go with 265/70/17 without spacers on my commander or are there other suspension differences that would still require spacers? I may still go with spacers for the stance, but I want to know is it needed or not. I have the 17" chrome wheels so I'll make sure it's stamped. Thanks.
As mentioned in the renewed "OME vs SL" thread, the XK has a harder time fitting bigger tires (even 265/70/17s). Visit that thread to read up on it.
Unread 11-20-2013, 01:37 PM   #18
msfulcher77
2008 XK Commander 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttusqrl
As mentioned in the renewed "OME vs SL" thread, the XK has a harder time fitting bigger tires (even 265/70/17s). Visit that thread to read up on it.
I read that thread and your comments. Thanks. I'm planning on an OME HD lift and putting 265/70/17 ATs on stock wheels. Nothing too crazy. Maybe a General Grabber AT2 with 1.25" wheel spacers. If I ran a mud tire it would be if I came across a great deal on Rubicon take-offs (255/75/17)and I would still use the 1.25" spacers. Thoughts on fit with that scenario assuming pinch weld mod? Tight is ok. I have no desire to go bigger and my wheeling is relatively mild but I will still stuff the tires...
Unread 11-21-2013, 02:24 PM   #19
ohhpe

Any specific examples or links to a good wheel to use like the aev

2005 WK Limited 5.7L Hemi. 2" day star lift awaiting tires and wheels for installation.
ohhpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-26-2013, 07:41 PM   #20
grand poobah
2007 XK Commander 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohhpe View Post
Any specific examples or links to a good wheel to use like the aev
The WK/XK specific AEV wheel isn't sold by AEV anymore, however I can confirm that they will accommodate a 265/70/17 tire with no rubbing and no pinch mod..at least on an XK and normal daily driving.

My setup is OME HD, AEV Pintlers and 265/70 Duratracs.

The specs on the WK/XK Pintlers are 17x8.5 with +25mm offset. Any wheel matching that should work. There are also the JK versions which are still available with a +10MM offset, meaning they'll stick out over 1/2 more. I don't know how that will affect rubbing issues
grand poobah is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-27-2013, 10:49 AM   #21
BurmaJack
2008 WK 

I visited a tire shop last week to purchase some Hurcules Avalanche X-treme studded winter tires 265/70 17's and have them mounted on my stock WK Everest wheels. No lift, no mods.

He called back and said "there is no F'n way" they will fit, even if they trim the bolt. Not enough back spacing apparently.

When I brought up spacers, he said he doesn't like them as they cause the hubs to wear out prematurely. Any truth to this?

Blue WK Club Member #2
BurmaJack is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.