Wheel/Tire Advice - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > Wheel/Tire Advice

ROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail Ruffstuff XJ Unirail Channel Reinforcement....Rugged Ridge Modular XHD Snorkel Now for both 3.8L and 3.6

Unread 10-10-2011, 02:14 PM   #1
HemiHipp
2005 WK 

Wheel/Tire Advice

I have an set of Jeep GC Ronin 17in chrome wheels (originally offered on 2007 GC Limiteds) that I was planning on getting rid of. They came on my 05 GC when I purchased it. I replaced this set with 2011 Overland 20in wheels a few months ago (pictured). But, the new 20in wheels will not be ideal for snow/mountain driving.

I am trying to think of some other options for the old set rather than selling them. Reason - I am not a BIG fan of how the Ronin's look in chrome. Could I powder coat/paint the wheels (dark grey or black) and add larger mud terrain style tires to this setup? I do not have a lift on my GC, so, I am not sure how big of tires I can fit on these rims.

I'd be interested in hearing from any of you that have experience that I could from from regarding
1. powder coat mods to wheels
2. Increasing the tire size on stock GC

Thanks for your time!

Last edited by HemiHipp; 10-10-2011 at 02:22 PM.. Reason: add picture
HemiHipp is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-10-2011, 02:48 PM   #2
JeepN4KC
Keep on Jeepin on........

I know there are guys running around with different variations of plasti-dipped wheels. The stuff comes in a spray can and can be peeled off if you don't like it. I have seen some good looking wheels with this stuff and it goes right over chrome to make a "blacked-out" look.
As far as changing rim size on stock I would have to say I am not a fan of anything over 17" rims on the WK.
It just looks weird to me. Plus, if you plan on wheelin at all, then anything over 17 starts limiting the size of your sidewall - which puts your rims in jeopardy.

By the way, I have Ronin II's on my rig and I think they look awesome. Suprised you replaced yours. To each his own.

Color of your WK is nice!

My Build Thread WK
My Other Build Thread XJ
'01 XJ with some stuff
Sept 2013 Cherokee of the Month
'07 WK with some other stuff
~RED WK CLUB #7~
'11 KK with mostly stock stuff
'06WK our first Jeep with stock stuff - totalled and gone
JeepN4KC is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-10-2011, 03:01 PM   #3
AJeepZJ
2006 WK 

Powder coat is too expensive... painting is the way to go, IMO.

For info on painting - you can follow this thread that a few of us contributed to last year

Paint Your Wheels

For info on maximum tire size on stock WK

Click here

Tags
lift , paint , powder coat , tire , wheel

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.