Wheel Bearing Question - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > Wheel Bearing Question

TJ 5.25" Speaker Adapters - NalinMFGRough Country Lift Kits and Parts!Rugged Ridge Modular XHD Snorkel Now for both 3.8L and 3.6

Unread 07-01-2013, 10:09 PM   #1
jpm6621

Wheel Bearing Question

Can a wheel bearing/hub unit still be bad if it has no play and doesn't make any noise?

jpm6621 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-01-2013, 10:13 PM   #2
JeepN4KC
Keep on Jeepin on........

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpm6621 View Post
Can a wheel bearing/hub unit still be bad if it has no play and doesn't make any noise?
If it has no play and isn't making any noise then what's bad about it?

My Build Thread WK
My Other Build Thread XJ
'01 XJ with some stuff
Sept 2013 Cherokee of the Month
'07 WK with some other stuff
~RED WK CLUB #7~
'11 KK with mostly stock stuff
'06WK our first Jeep with stock stuff - totalled and gone
JeepN4KC is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-01-2013, 10:36 PM   #3
jpm6621

I guess i should have explained more, i have started another thread about this. Rear axle leaking behind the wheel. The only "seal" is an o-ring that goes around the outside of the hub/bearing, but it goes inside of the housing and this hub/bearing is a one piece sealed unit. That o-ring i've had replaced 6 times and it still leaks. No scoring or any visual damage to the bearing/housing/axle. The bearing seams to be fine, no play or noise like i said, but i'm guessing fluid might be getting through the bearing itself Possibly and causing the leak. This is what a mechanic suggested to try next and the dealership who replaced the o-ring 5 times told me i need a whole new rear end. It's been a year dealing with this and none of the mechanics can give me an answer except to just replace EVERYTHING, so it's been all guesses. So i've been trying to figure it out before i go buying a whole new rear end for nothing.
image.jpg  
Unread 07-02-2013, 10:31 AM   #4
sebastien
2006 WK 

The hub itself could seep some oil if it is bad..Mine did.
Unread 07-02-2013, 11:59 AM   #5
bmuhlbach
2005 WK 

Mine leaked from the pass. side .Read somewhere that it maybe overfilled so it leaked.I left it alone and now its not leaking.Checked the lube level and its alitttle lower then the hole maybe 1/8 inch.All mine started after I replaced the pinion seal.
bmuhlbach is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-02-2013, 12:05 PM   #6
jediknight
2008 WK 

Did you check your differential fluid level ? If you have too much in there, fluid will try to come out where ever it can come out.
Other then that you have a bearing inside the diff for each side of the axle and your hub/bearing assembly ... I dont see much more in there especially if they've already replaced the O-ring seal ...
Switch hub and see ...
Unread 07-06-2013, 10:04 AM   #7
jpm6621

I check the fluid regularly, its always where it should be. I checked the breather coming up from the axle and that is clear. Installed the new bearing and 7th o-ring, still leaks.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.