wheel bearing - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > wheel bearing

BLACK FRIDAY SPECIALS!! You asked, we deliver!Rough Country Lift Kits and Parts!XJ Rail Sale!

Unread 04-07-2013, 08:50 PM   #1
floresnick
2006 XJ Cherokee 

wheel bearing

quick question is the wheel bearings in the Jeep grand cherokee a sealed hub? and how much is a new wheel bearing or will i need to replace the entire hub? dont really know what to ask... just freaking out about it! need help ASAP!!!!!

floresnick is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-07-2013, 09:14 PM   #2
floresnick
2006 XJ Cherokee 

also want to know how long i can drive on a broken wheel bearing
Unread 04-07-2013, 09:14 PM   #3
tjkj2002
2002 KJ Liberty 

All 4 corners are a sealed hub unit.Your rear axle is actually a full floating diff with a unit bearing bolted to the tubes.
Unread 04-07-2013, 09:15 PM   #4
tjkj2002
2002 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by floresnick View Post
also want to know how long i can drive on a broken wheel bearing
Not far depending on how bad it is.If it's really bad do not drive it as major damage can and will occur that will increase the repair cost big time.
Unread 04-07-2013, 09:18 PM   #5
floresnick
2006 XJ Cherokee 

so i have like a grinding noise in my front wheel when it rotates it makes a grinding sound a mechanic buddy said it was my wheel bearing but only guessed that from a video i sent him of the sound... how much is it going to cost and is it possible to do it by myself?
Unread 04-07-2013, 09:21 PM   #6
floresnick
2006 XJ Cherokee 

well ****... this really sucks i don't know what to do or where to start!
Unread 04-07-2013, 09:48 PM   #7
floresnick
2006 XJ Cherokee 

whats a full bearing gonna cost?
Unread 04-07-2013, 09:50 PM   #8
NameLikeNoOther

I just did my DS front wheel bearing last night, I had a lot of grinding and noise coming from that side of the vehicle especially when I turned to the left or accelerated. It is a sealed hub unit with wheel speed sensor attached. It is a fairly easy repair to do, there is a youtube tutorial for a WJ which is almost the same.

The hardest part was getting the old wheel hub out, I had to beat on it with a sledge hammer for about an hour before it finally broke free. One thing that was contributing to the noise was the dust shield that was bent and rusty and touching the brake rotor. The dust shield is also a bad design because it helps trap salt in a spot on the steering knuckle it was also a contributing factor to salt getting into the wheel bearing. I got 200,000km out of the factory ones so that's not too bad.

Anyways after doing the DS Wheelhub and rotors and pads I still have a lot of noise coming from the front. The hub was definitely fried but only a portion of noise. I am still trying to figure out what the grinding/humming sound I am getting is from. CV's? Drive Shaft U-Joint?
NameLikeNoOther is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-07-2013, 09:55 PM   #9
floresnick
2006 XJ Cherokee 

well that sure helps just curious to know how much a new wheel bearing is going to cost? i think i can do it my self but i'm going to take it in tomorrow to see if my warranty will cover it before it expires... but in the event they don't cover this i'll have to do it so i'm curious to know how much the bearing will cost. thanks
Unread 04-07-2013, 10:19 PM   #10
NameLikeNoOther

A quality wheel hub unit will be about $200. You will also need a 12-point 15mm socket to get the 3 bolts that mount the WH to the steering knuckle and a 36mm socket for the axle nut. There are a few write up on here about the change and the youtube video from the 1aauto guy is pretty good. Maybe a good time to service your brakes while you there too.
NameLikeNoOther is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-07-2013, 11:58 PM   #11
floresnick
2006 XJ Cherokee 

alright thanks... is there anyway you can send me a pic of the wheel hub... ive seen a lot of photos but don't know exactly what i'm looking for!
Unread 04-08-2013, 07:21 AM   #12
XK1982
2006 XK Commander 

Rock Auto stocks them from anywhere from $85 - 172. Here's a pic of the back of the unit bearing where it bolts to the knuckle. Also you get all new wheel studs with it and the ABS wire.
getimage.jpg  
Unread 04-08-2013, 10:28 PM   #13
Tbonfire
2006 WK 

I just got a front wheel bearing replaced in my 06 last week. I opted for the high quality part and with labor it came to $270
Tbonfire is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-09-2013, 07:02 AM   #14
beaver8785

Plan on doing the other side soon or if have the funds do both sides cause when u put a new one in usually throws the other side off a little. Just my two cents.
beaver8785 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-09-2013, 07:04 AM   #15
Tbonfire
2006 WK 

Yea I will be. $270 broke the bank a bit for now lol
Tbonfire is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.