What year wk is best to buy? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > What year wk is best to buy?

Free shipping on Rugged Ridge XHD bumpersBaseline 4x4 Lifetime Warranty 4340 Chromoly Axle Shaft KiIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 02-25-2015, 01:50 PM   #1
Kerkiraios00

What year wk is best to buy?

Hi, everyone I'm looking to buy a Jeep Grand Cherokee I'm looking for either an 02-04 or maybe the wk model.. So as I was originally looking for a wj my friend suggested I maybe get a wk but I've heard some mixed reviews on these jeeps like there hit or miss but I feel that way with wj as well I came from a 00 grand Cherokee and it was a great car 4.7 it was a monster. It had serval problem but fixable. So now I have a patriot and I hate it it's a pig so looking to get back in a Cherokee.. Now my question is that I found a 2006 Jeep Grand Cherokee overland edition with a 5.7 70k miles and warranties till 100k should I attempt it? Bc I heard on here stay away from anything older than an 08? I def won't get an 05 what are your thoughts not trying to spend more than 15k either thanks

Kerkiraios00 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-26-2015, 06:06 AM   #2
Marcus86GLHS

You'll get so many different opinions on what was the best year WK that you might conclude (as I have) that it is purely subjective, there is no legit reason to say any year WK is superior to another.

That being said, there were some decent exterior and interior changes made at model year 2008 that, some like myself will say, are worth holding out for.

Just shop around carefully and bone up on the subtle differences year to year (this forum is full of info that you can search for) and you'll get a good WK.

2002 Wrangler Sahara, black, 4.0L, 5-speed, Dana 44 rear axle with Trac Loc LSD, duel tan tops, Canyon wheels with Wrangler Silent Armors. 75,000 miles, 2nd owner.
Marcus86GLHS is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-26-2015, 08:09 AM   #3
kuker
2001 XJ Cherokee 

I have a 2008 WK Hemi Limited, I love it to death. I bought with a salvage title, but have been going through it to make sure it's in tip top shape. So far Radiator new $100, water pump reman $40, superlift about $2000, 305/70r17 nitto G2s $1100, CAI Air Raid, $150, and so on, point being, they are getting a lot more popular, and aftermarket parts cheaper.

To answer your question, the best year depends on you,
diesel or gas? No opinion.
Hemi or 3.7?
Hemi for sure, but watch out for early ones, still a great motor but plagued by the hemi tick and run 5w20 synthetic or be sorry
Traction Controll?
I have a 10 bolt rear axle cover, which denotes QT1 or 2 Traction, 12 bolts is supposed to be QD2, which I am told is supposed be crazy awesome, but I have thoroughly tested mine, and I don't know how it gets better. I push my limits high speed gravel corners. ( you might want to double check, info is hearsay )

Be picky, there is a ton of these on the market, get the one you want, with the options you want, the color you want
kuker is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-26-2015, 02:56 PM   #4
Kerkiraios00

Thanks guys for the response but I'm more concerned on reliability I hear on her to stay away from anything older than an 08 just curious how true that is or is just a hit or miss?? I found this nice over land loaded w a hemi 5.7 but it's an 06 so I was skeptical on buying it?? Don't wanna have a care as a dd and have to take it to the mechanic every month either.. They usually say the earlier year of cars have problems but I've had an 07 pat and it gave me zero problem besides the fact that it's a pig lol
Kerkiraios00 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-26-2015, 08:19 PM   #5
kuker
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Far as reliable, I haven't had mine long enough to tell you anything. Yes the 3.7 is a pig, the hemi is a rocket, I hear a lot of good about them in all years. If you are looking at a pre 2008 hemi and it has no Noticeable tick by now, it won't get one. Exhaust gasket at the worst. Hemis don't commit suicide, they are murdered from abuse and the wrong oil, and yes wrong oil includes all hemis with a fill cap that say 5w30. And some hemis won't die, my bro in law has a 2004 ram hemi with almost 200000 miles, it was a anhydrous delivery truck for 150000 ( short trips pulling 8 tons). They rolled it, he fixed it, and beat it like a red headed step child for the next 50k, now it death wobbles so bad it doesn't leave town. I know it's not a WK, but good lord that hemi won't give up
kuker is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-27-2015, 12:04 AM   #6
Drudgery1971

2007 WK 

Reliability is determined by maintenance and wear. Records on the vehicle in question will answer that for you but don't be afraid of a high mileage 07 DIESEL (KING of all WK's) if it was well maintained since it's engine life is 2X a gassers. Sorry just being a court jester. If your in the market under $10K don't go with a CRD (Diesel) or the Hemi IMO. Get a nice, well maintained 4.7.
Unread 02-27-2015, 06:59 AM   #7
ataylor062
2005 WK 

Happy "05" Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerkiraios00 View Post
Hi, everyone I'm looking to buy a Jeep Grand Cherokee I'm looking for either an 02-04 or maybe the wk model.. So as I was originally looking for a wj my friend suggested I maybe get a wk but I've heard some mixed reviews on these jeeps like there hit or miss but I feel that way with wj as well I came from a 00 grand Cherokee and it was a great car 4.7 it was a monster. It had serval problem but fixable. So now I have a patriot and I hate it it's a pig so looking to get back in a Cherokee.. Now my question is that I found a 2006 Jeep Grand Cherokee overland edition with a 5.7 70k miles and warranties till 100k should I attempt it? Bc I heard on here stay away from anything older than an 08? I def won't get an 05 what are your thoughts not trying to spend more than 15k either thanks
I bought my 05 with 300 miles on it... I got a deal because it was time to make room for the newbies, or so I thought. The truck had an electrical issue, after running an hour or so it would shut down and every light on the dash panel would be lit. No one could figure out what the problem was. Jeep was committed to find the problem and resolve it and I stuck with them. After weeks of searching the system and pulling the harness they found a bad module causing a short and replaced it. Since then I have enjoyed years of reliability, that 5.7 Hemi is a beast, and every issue I have had has been easily resolved. However I have maintained this vehicle from day one with oil changes, trans flush, radiator, etc. If you find an 05 Wk that has been maintained you might have something special. Good luck, happy hunting.
ataylor062 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-27-2015, 10:07 PM   #8
BrooklynWK
2005 WK 

A well maintained 05 is fine. I consider my 05 a late model oe, meaning may production. Some of the 05's were made in 04, but reailty is if the jeep is maintained there is nothing to be afraid of. Rather have a well maintained 05 then a 2010 that has had 3 oil changes since it been on the road...
Silver WK Club Member #144
BrooklynWK is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.