What Tires do you use on your Jeep WK? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > What Tires do you use on your Jeep WK?

The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!Don't forget the Jeep Forum discount, 10% off!Ruffstuff's Monster Shock Brackets!

Unread 02-20-2009, 11:25 PM   #1
BigSensFan
2007 WK 

What Tires do you use on your Jeep WK?

Do you stick by any certain Brand or possibly the factory spec ones?
Do you prefer a touring type tire or one that is good off road as well.

I am about to buy 4 new tires and am curious what you guys use

BigSensFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-21-2009, 07:59 AM   #2
Bavaqua
2005 WK 

In the past I have always went with a more aggressive replacement
tire when I drove pick-ups. But, with my jeep I just put on a new
set of Yokohama Geolander HT/S. Just got them yesterday in
fact. Discount Tire has a $40 instant rebate on them. Plus I get a
10 percent corporate discount on top of it. I believe the rebate
Expires on the 22nd so I wanted to take advantage.
Unread 02-21-2009, 12:40 PM   #3
z_gilligan
2010 JK Wrangler 

I bought some Cooper Discoverer ATR. Same size as stock just a more aggressive tread. Tire works great in all conditions. Was wheeling a couple of weeks ago at Rausch Creek with 6in of snow with 2 in of ice underneath. I went where I wanted to go.
Buddy of mine swears by these tires. He has had 4 sets on different vehicles and usually gets 60k out of them.
z_gilligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-21-2009, 03:06 PM   #4
Floof
2005 WK 

285/70/17 BFG ATs, goin on tomorrow!
Floof is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-21-2009, 03:17 PM   #5
Texas WJ
Web Wheeler

2005 WK 

What you're going to find is that a lot of Jeepers here wheel their vehicles pretty regularly so they run more aggressive all terrain or mud terrain tires, so you'll get a lot of recommendations in that category. If you're not hitting the, trail, mud or the rocks on a monthly basis it's probably not necessary to go with that much tire.

There's plenty of very good all-season and light trail worthy tires out there that won't compromise the ride, handling and gas mileage. Some that immediately stick out in a quick search:

Bridgestone Dueler A/T
Bridgestone Dueler A/T Revos (slightly more aggressive)
Firestone Destination A/T
Michelin LTX A/T 2
Yokohama Geolandar A/T-S
Goodyear Fortera SilentArmor

TireRack.com search results
Texas WJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-22-2009, 07:24 PM   #6
CRAMMER
2005 WK 

Since I moved to the south and I have no need for winter tires, I'm running the BFG Long Trails now.
CRAMMER is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-23-2009, 08:52 AM   #7
sabre364
2007 WK 

I'm still on the stock oem forteras in the summer.

Winter I run 245 65 17 firestone winterforce studded. There are very few snow tires that fit our WKs, at least that are studdable. The only other two that seem to be commonly available is the nokian hakka5 but that is ultra expensive and the mastercraft msr(?).
sabre364 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-23-2009, 01:19 PM   #8
ArchAngelixi
2005 WK 

Yokos

I just changed (yesterday) to Yokohama Geolander M/T + in 265/70-17s. from the Firestone Destination M/Ts...both are a super aggressive tire. I had more howling with the destinations but less slow speed growl. I changed because the firestones were old and it was time, but they were a great tire. I went with the yokos because they are a directional M/T which is not very common...I guess its just what you are going to be doing with your jeep and if you are going for a specific look...

oh, and in order to do the aformentioned size you need at least a 2" lift...if you want to do that you can order the daystar kit on www.jeepaddons.com...it was $180.00 after shipping...totally worth it.
ArchAngelixi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-23-2009, 02:05 PM   #9
colinzj
2006 WK 

Can't comment on winter tires, not having to deal with that season like Ontario does...

But I love the Goodyear Wrangler Silent Armor for an all-terrain. Great tire, rides nice, quiet, does well off the road.

The Jeep came with a set of BFGoodrich Traction T/A Spec tires on it, which I'd have no problems recommending if you can live with a touring tire. They've been absolutely great on the road and at speed, they're just useless for what I bought the vehicle for.
Unread 02-23-2009, 03:15 PM   #10
BigSensFan
2007 WK 

So a tire that is better on the trail/mud will not get as good of gas mileage as a touring variety?
Unread 02-23-2009, 03:20 PM   #11
BigSensFan
2007 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by colinzj View Post
Can't comment on winter tires, not having to deal with that season like Ontario does...

But I love the Goodyear Wrangler Silent Armor for an all-terrain. Great tire, rides nice, quiet, does well off the road.

The Jeep came with a set of BFGoodrich Traction T/A Spec tires on it, which I'd have no problems recommending if you can live with a touring tire. They've been absolutely great on the road and at speed, they're just useless for what I bought the vehicle for.

I have never used Winter tires, only All Season. The thing is you drive according to the weather and you will be fine.
Unread 02-23-2009, 04:00 PM   #12
Texas WJ
Web Wheeler

2005 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigSensFan View Post
So a tire that is better on the trail/mud will not get as good of gas mileage as a touring variety?
Generally speaking, no. You can offset some of that loss by inflating the tire to a higher psi, but it's just something you accept and move on... or not.

All things being equal, same tire size and pressure, the mpg loss still isn't terribly huge. I'd guess maybe a mpg or maybe two. But, that's a guess.
Texas WJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-23-2009, 08:20 PM   #13
ItalianJeeper77
2008 WK 

i bought revos last year and do not think i will ever buy another brand of tires again. not to mention they look so niiiiiice. i had mine set with the black walls out because i did not prefer the white lettering with my black Jeep.

"The proper water entry and travel speed is 5mph"

BLACK JEEP SOCIETY MEMBER
ItalianJeeper77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-23-2009, 08:39 PM   #14
Acidcold
2005 WK 

Goodyear Wrangler MTR's best tire off road, terrible on ice!
Acidcold is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-23-2009, 11:56 PM   #15
multihulls
2006 XK Commander 

I just bought a set of Cooper 255/65/R17 to replace the 18 month old standard Goodyear H/T Wranglers. Went off-road on the weekend and the Coopers where great! Climbed rocky terrain and extremely tight 5' wide ravines and steep sides creek beds. No problems anywhere.
Be warned If you go to taller tyres/wheels on the 3 liter CRD the auto has troubles hunting between O/D and 4th when towing big loads or in very dry soft sand.
multihulls is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.