What tire size? M/T or A/T? - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > What tire size? M/T or A/T?

XJ Rail Sale!The Ruffstuff NOT Universal 4 Link Kit!Vanco Big Brake Kit Promotion!

Unread 01-03-2014, 08:01 PM   #16
Scottso699
2006 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackitout
I just test fitted 265/70R17 general grabber at2 with a 2inch lift and they rubbed the bolt without a spacer.
I have 1.5 inch spacers so all is good. The BF Goodrich Mud Terrains I have on don't even come close to the control arm bolt. So it looks like it's between General Grabber AT2 or Dakota Definity AT. And maybe BF Goodrich Rugged Terrain.

2006 WK Overland
2014 WK2 Limited
Scottso699 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-04-2014, 10:55 AM   #17
atarijedi
2008 WK 

You can run 285/70R17 as long as you have the pinch weld mod, and possibly the rear fender roll mod. Not totally sure on if the rear fender roll mod needs to be done though.

Also, you may need spacers depending on the wheel used.

I'm getting a set of Goodyear Territory's, essentially Canadian Tires store brand version of the Goodyear Duratrac, in 285/70R17.
atarijedi is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-04-2014, 08:24 PM   #18
Scottso699
2006 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by atarijedi
You can run 285/70R17 as long as you have the pinch weld mod, and possibly the rear fender roll mod. Not totally sure on if the rear fender roll mod needs to be done though. Also, you may need spacers depending on the wheel used. I'm getting a set of Goodyear Territory's, essentially Canadian Tires store brand version of the Goodyear Duratrac, in 285/70R17.
Sounds good. I did the pinch weld mod in the front so that is taken care of. The Walmart tires are Goodyear Wrangler Authority. Here is a link:

http://www.walmart.com/msharbor/ip/G...81640&veh=mweb

2006 WK Overland
2014 WK2 Limited
Unread 01-05-2014, 08:32 PM   #19
Scottso699
2006 WK 

Ok I think I am going with the BF Goodrich Rugged Terrains. Sears is having a deal right now where they are giving a $100 a set of 4 tires. The tires are on sale for $148 a piece and with $100 off it brings them down to about $123 a tire. Can't beat that. I saw up close the P265/70r17 in both the Rugged Terrain and the Falkin Wildpeak. They both look pretty rugged and aggressive for an all terrain. I did see what one poster said where the sipes on the Falkin Wildpeaks will disappear once the tire wears down. The Rugged Terrains won't do this. They both look pretty similar. I am going to get 5 and just rotate them in so the tire will wear down slower. I am kind of partial to the white lettering so i will probably have them put it facing out. I'd love to go with the 285 but the tires are $40 a piece more! Too rich for my blood. Oh well. Just gives me more flex if needed.

2006 WK Overland
2014 WK2 Limited
Unread 01-05-2014, 11:12 PM   #20
modernblueWK

You might want to read some more reviews on the bfg's. They seem to be good on everything but snow and ice. They have no siping at all with moderate biting edges. So if you get them be careful in winter.
Blue WK club #4
modernblueWK is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-06-2014, 08:24 AM   #21
Scottso699
2006 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by modernblueWK View Post
You might want to read some more reviews on the bfg's. They seem to be good on everything but snow and ice. They have no siping at all with moderate biting edges. So if you get them be careful in winter.
I have looked at a lot of reviews... and they are mixed. A lot of people say they are no good and some say they will call out winning lottery numbers for you... It's a toss up. I am concerned about Ice and snow as we get lots of what I would call "crap" here in New Jersey - sleet/Ice/morons, the price is really the determining factor right now. My Mud Terrains never had an siping either but are getting pretty bald... At about $130 a tire this looks to be a pretty good replacement. I have looked at other all terrains but they are in the $170 + range and not affordable to me. I refuse to buy some plain old street tire as I want some kind of All Terrain, even if it is a watered down one.

2006 WK Overland
2014 WK2 Limited
Unread 01-06-2014, 08:34 AM   #22
modernblueWK

I hope they work well for you. Just be aware that they may be a bit more unpredictable on ice and snowpack.
Blue WK club #4
Unread 01-06-2014, 08:36 AM   #23
Scottso699
2006 WK 

Quote:
I hope they work well for you. Just be aware that they may be a bit more unpredictable on ice and snowpack.
Thanks for the help! They can't be worse than bald mud terrains right? LOL My only other option is Pep Boys Definity Dakota A/T

2006 WK Overland
2014 WK2 Limited
Unread 01-06-2014, 08:54 AM   #24
BoraBora

2006 WK 

My friend runs the Definity Dakota A/T and he's satisfied with them. Only problem he's had was that they have thin sidewalls.
Unread 01-06-2014, 08:56 AM   #25
Scottso699
2006 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoraBora View Post
My friend runs the Definity Dakota A/T and he's satisfied with them. Only problem he's had was that they have thin sidewalls.
Excellent! Thanks for the tip - I may run down to Pep Boys at lunch time to check them out.

2006 WK Overland
2014 WK2 Limited
Unread 01-06-2014, 09:18 AM   #26
modernblueWK

Yeah i had those definity's on my dodge dakota. My brother still runs them on his lifted chevy express van. My dad runs the h/t on his suburban. Great tires and cheap too. Made by cooper.
Blue WK club #4
Unread 01-06-2014, 09:21 AM   #27
Scottso699
2006 WK 

Quote:
Yeah i had those definity's on my dodge dakota. My brother still runs them on his lifted chevy express van. My dad runs the h/t on his suburban. Great tires and cheap too. Made by cooper.
They are having a sale too - and... they come out to the same exact price for 5 as the BFGs... So I will see what they look like.

Bottom line i need a new set of tires because mine are shot... I do 50 miles of highway/local driving a day so they need to be road worthy... IE not aggressive Mud Terrains... (I do love the look though!). I also want and all terrain because that off chance I actually have a day to go off roading I want some kind of ability retained. So it's between those two tires.

2006 WK Overland
2014 WK2 Limited
Unread 01-06-2014, 09:33 AM   #28
zc911

i just drove about 600KM in the last two days through freezing rain, snow, sleet, on unplowed roads, and had zero issues, i think the BFGs work very well!
zc911 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-06-2014, 09:50 AM   #29
Scottso699
2006 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by zc911 View Post
i just drove about 600KM in the last two days through freezing rain, snow, sleet, on unplowed roads, and had zero issues, i think the BFGs work very well!
Awesome - that's what I was looking for!

Thanks!

Totally off topic, but Being there in Ontario I assume you are an Leafs fan?

2006 WK Overland
2014 WK2 Limited
Unread 01-06-2014, 09:52 AM   #30
modernblueWK

The definity dakota ht is worth a look too. Even better on road manners and better wear than the at's. They look a bit plain but my dad has had 8 sets of them on 4 different trucks snd suvs. He lives in the snow and spends most days on muddy jobsites. No complaints.
Blue WK club #4

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.