Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

What should I do for my front end lift?

1K views 21 replies 7 participants last post by  JeepN4KC 
#1 ·
So my question is, what combination of springs/spacers should I run up front? I currently have 4600's all around and a Daystar BB. I clear my 265/70s just fine, but Im not exactly happy with the ride up front. It feels rough. I think this has to do with the Daystar lift pre loading the springs, but I also installed the 4600's at the same time so it's possible I just don't like the 4600s.

Here is where things start to get complicated. My hidden winch mount is ready to be installed. My Jeep has 130k miles. The 4600's have maybe 15k on them. I would prefer to keep the 4600s and give them another try. I definitely need to replace the factory springs up front to deal with the weight i will be adding. and I wouldn't mind gaining another .5 to 1" all around. Before I was going to add a winch I was just going to add a spacer up front and a lower isolator or two in the rear. Now I am not so sure what to do. What do you recommend?

#2 ·
Have you considered OME hd? If you're already replacing the front springs this is what I would do, if it were me. That way you know it can handle the extra weight AND give you a teenie bit more lift

#6 ·
ill say this...

I ran my OEM springs with 62k on them and the daystar BB w/ bilstein 4600s for roughly 45k. with just the weight of my V8 on the stockers, after 40k or so they got spongy and I lost some lift. plus the ride with the stockers and a spacer gets pretty bad after awhile. now I run OME MD springs with 4600s upfront and its firm but still soft enough to enjoy the ride. I know a lot of guys run HDs and don't have any complaints with the firmness- but after reading another guys 4.7 WK rode like complete **** with HD springs I decided to go MD. plus it keeps my hub to fender measurements right around 21" to 21.5"..

#8 ·
If you'd want to go a less travel route, I'm pulling out my Rusty's off road front springs and going back to stock. They netted me 22.5 inches with my CRD. I'd send them your way really cheap. No clue what shipping would be like though.

I think you'd be happy with the OME HD since the winch is positioned so far forward. MD I think you'd definitely need a spacer. (actually didn't Omlet go through that with his initial build?)

#11 ·
I was initially concerned about the OME HD ride quality vs the MD set up. After speaking with Kolak, a vendor on this forum with good pricing and all around nice guy by the way, I decided to go with the HD. I have 4x armor, but no winch yet, and the ride is some firmer than stock but all around still feels "better". My son went with the same setup on his 05 Limited and he too is very pleased with the results. I recommend speaking with Kolak and take advantage of his product knowledge and familiarity with the WK. :thumbsup:

Reactions: bensylrm
#12 ·
I did the same with kolak, no regrets. HD is the way to go if you are adding weight. Most people won't recommend the shocks and struts you have with the HD. My recommendation is either the ome or 5100.

Sent from my WK JGC phone...

#17 ·
I kept my day star, I'm thinking about using it for a modified ome lift in the future. And it's also always nice to have extra parts, you know, just in case...

Sent from my WK JGC phone...

#18 ·
So I won an eBay auction for some rear OME HD springs ($75!). Now I need to decide what to do for the front. I'd like to keep my 4600s if possible. Was thinking Rusty's front springs and then stack 1 or 2 spacers to level it out. Thoughts?

My reason for thinking Rusty's over OME are...

-cost
-I believe Rusty's are shorter than OME, meaning it wouldnt max out my 4600s travel everytime I hit a small bump
-they are closer to OME MD, and from my understanding this will go better with the valving on the 4600s.

#19 ·
Just ordered Rusty's rear trac bar as I have decided to go all out and try to max out my lift. I'll have adj trac bar, OME HD, and Daystar 1.5" poly spacer in back (I'll trim the spacer if it's too tall). Also going to order some bilstein 5125 for the rear. Now, back to the front.. Opinions? OME HD with 4600's just seems to cause problems for people. Is there an HD little to no lift front coil option out there? Because I would be open some 5100s set to 1.5" with a 2" strut spacer on top, if I can find some better "factory" front coils trying to hit 22.25 to 22.5 all around.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.