What service jack to use for lifted jeeps - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > What service jack to use for lifted jeeps

Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 01-21-2013, 10:37 AM   #31
sk1er18
2007 XK Commander 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepN4KC View Post
Even in stock form -

The lip of that cover doesn't really overlap the housing flange. If it does just file it back - especially if you're gonna wheel it.

Trust me - the pad of a 3+ ton floorjack fits under the 8.25 just fine w/o even contacting the diff cover.
My point was to keep in mind the audience when you're giving advice. Not a lot of guys are going to peak under there and think "hmm maybe i should trim the cover back before I lift from there".

The cover overlaps enough to get caught/bent. Not everyone has the same jack as you... and I can easily see a "beginner" wrencher using the metal lip of one of those small 2-1/4 ton jacks on the edge of the diff cover and peeling it away a bit if they're not careful. Especially with the front wheel blocked and jacking on a surface that doesn't let the jack roll easily it will "pull" the diff/cover rearwards as the vehicle is lifted.

These forums are great for helping people... but sometimes we forget that the person asking for advice might have minimal to zero experience under a vehicle and we have to bring it back to basics once in a while.

Unread 01-21-2013, 12:33 PM   #32
Theogriff15
2006 WK 

[QUOTE=JeepN4KC;14825614]So - if there is no proven damage what exactly are you risking? Just wondering because I see you've cut&folded your pinch weld - pretty sure that wouldn't be "recommended" by the manufacturer.

Cut and folded around the pinch welds. You should never cut strait through a pinch weld as that would most definitely weaken the frame. Only after researching and knowing that over long periods of time the pinch weld mod holds up did I cut around them. I would have never even touched it before someone else ran it for at least a year and had no problems. Like I said to each their own, jack 'er up how ever you like, but why wouldn't you attempt to come as close as you can to using the factory points. However if there is no proven damage you might as well go ahead and use the differential as a point, but when the cover cracks or your jeep leans to one side and falls over, well lets just say I wouldn't want to be in that position.
Unread 01-21-2013, 12:36 PM   #33
Theogriff15
2006 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sk1er18 View Post
Those who generally ask for basic maintenance advice don't always have a lot of wrenching experience and may not realize there's other precautions that need to be taken before just throwing a jack under the differential.

It doesn't take much for these covers to leak.

^^^^My point exactly, take the safe route and use an extra 20 seconds to save yourself a real headache^^^^
Unread 01-21-2013, 12:38 PM   #34
Theogriff15
2006 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by EugeneTheTJ View Post
Umm, no you don't
I don't? I have the 2" Daystar spacer kit? Is a spacer lift different than a body lift? I was under the impression that body=spacer in the case of the WK's. And anything like the OME or Superlift would be considered a suspension lift, as you are replacing parts of the suspension. But hey I could be wrong!!
Unread 01-21-2013, 12:42 PM   #35
Anticanman
Follow me

1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theogriff15 View Post
I don't? I have the 2" Daystar spacer kit? Is a spacer lift different than a body lift? I was under the impression that body=spacer in the case of the WK's. And anything like the OME or Superlift would be considered a suspension lift, as you are replacing parts of the suspension. But hey I could be wrong!!
Body lift puts space between the frame and body. Budget boost puts spacers on the coils to raise the suspension. Suspension lift is broad but can include a budget boost or full replacement suspension components.
Unread 01-21-2013, 12:48 PM   #36
sk1er18
2007 XK Commander 

edit: ^^ he beat me to it. Im slow when typing on my phone.
Unread 01-21-2013, 12:48 PM   #37
EugeneTheTJ
Tar Heel

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Exactly. It's impossible to have a BL on a WK
EugeneTheTJ is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-21-2013, 12:56 PM   #38
Theogriff15
2006 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anticanman View Post
Body lift puts space between the frame and body. Budget boost puts spacers on the coils to raise the suspension. Suspension lift is broad but can include a budget boost or full replacement suspension components.
Well seeing as its my first car and first experience with lifts in general thank you for the clarification. Not trying to overstep my boundaries on anything guys. Sorry for the confusion.
Unread 01-21-2013, 01:17 PM   #39
EugeneTheTJ
Tar Heel

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Not a problem.

Back on topic: jacks
EugeneTheTJ is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-21-2013, 02:16 PM   #40
jeremyc653
2005 WK 

Not to get off topic but what kind of covers are there for the 10 bolt guys
Unread 01-21-2013, 05:48 PM   #41
blizzboy283
2005 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimGT
I tried jacking it up from LCA and it slipped the first couple of times once any weight was put on it. I was finally able to jack it up but it still had a little bit of an angle to it so I just put it down and didn't bother removing the wheel.
That's a well built rig you have in your signature. I take it someone else did all of the wrenching for you then?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sk1er18

Exactly.

And just an FYI, that was a rock

I'm much better protected now

Still waiting for someone to make a complete 12-bolt diff cover. Right now theres only guards on the market; but a few good options for the 10-bolt guys
You should at least go with either the super lift brace or 4xguard brace. I know they were both being made by super lift at one point but JBA may have taken over the 4xguard manufacturing now, since Marlin owns them both.

Man this thread is all over the place.

I used to jack from the bottom of the pumpkin but now I have a 4xguard brace on it and won't be doing that again. When I changed out the diff fluid, I could tell that repeatedly jacking from the pumpkin will definitely lead to a leak of some sort. Sure maybe if your careful, but I definitely ended up seeing some red rtv after jacking it fr there a bunch of times. I'm staying clear of there from now on.
05 WK LTD 5.7L Hemi QD II Midnight Blue Pearl, Blue WK Club member #30
Intune, AFE Stage 2 CAI, BT Catch Can, Gibson Cat-back, OME HD, 255/75/17 BFG KM1s, 1.25" Spidertrax, LED Interior, Reverse & Tail Lights, 3/4" Grille, Chrome Fuel Door & handles, SRT8 Pedals, Taylor Shorties, XK knob, 4xGuard Front 4 & Rear Diff.
blizzboy283 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-21-2013, 08:25 PM   #42
TimGT
2008 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by blizzboy283 View Post
That's a well built rig you have in your signature. I take it someone else did all of the wrenching for you then?
Actually a friend and I did it, it took us double the time it said it would though. We used his lift but neither of us had ever lifted a truck/suv before. I just never realized you could use the lower control arms and never thought about checking the owners manual .

Black WK Club Member #2
TimGT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-22-2013, 08:12 AM   #43
blizzboy283
2005 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimGT

Actually a friend and I did it, it took us double the time it said it would though. We used his lift but neither of us had ever lifted a truck/suv before. I just never realized you could use the lower control arms and never thought about checking the owners manual .
Ok, cool man. I was gonna say. You have a badass ride and I was confused why it was giving you trouble. Just fine tune the lifting point then. It should definitely straighten out for you, but you have a Superlift so maybe it's different for you?
05 WK LTD 5.7L Hemi QD II Midnight Blue Pearl, Blue WK Club member #30
Intune, AFE Stage 2 CAI, BT Catch Can, Gibson Cat-back, OME HD, 255/75/17 BFG KM1s, 1.25" Spidertrax, LED Interior, Reverse & Tail Lights, 3/4" Grille, Chrome Fuel Door & handles, SRT8 Pedals, Taylor Shorties, XK knob, 4xGuard Front 4 & Rear Diff.
blizzboy283 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.