What Power Steering fluid to buy? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > What Power Steering fluid to buy?

New! JK/U skid plate system.FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 08-07-2009, 11:52 AM   #1
02ovaland

What Power Steering fluid to buy?

Manual states MoparŪ Hydraulic fluid/Power steering fluid p/n 5142893AA is required. Is there any Non-Mopar equivalent that I can buy at Autozone, Walmart, NAPA, etc????

02ovaland is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-07-2009, 08:11 PM   #2
yrkoverland
2000 WJ 

Since the PS fluid also is used as a hydraulic motor to turn the cooling fan I would stick with the mopar stuff.
yrkoverland is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-08-2009, 08:01 PM   #3
BigSensFan
2007 WK 

This will work for you

http://www.amsoil.com/catalog.aspx?code=PSFCN-EA
BigSensFan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-10-2009, 12:02 PM   #4
yrkoverland
2000 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigSensFan View Post
Not so sure, all of the other 5.7 applications on the amsoil site list the atf for the ps system, hence why I think I'd just stick with the mopar stuff.
yrkoverland is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-17-2015, 09:27 AM   #5
omsok
2007 WK 

Power Steering Fluid Rant:

After exhaustive research, and even speaking to Chrysler Mechanic who said it was possible to use ATF+4 power steering fluid (I don't think it is) it seems that the following situation is likely to happen if you blow a power steering tube, rubber hose slips off power steering pump, or whatever causing you to lose your power steering fluid.

N.B. Due to the hydraulic cooling fan it needs to be MoparŪ Hydraulic fluid/Power steering fluid p/n 5142893AA

-You will need to wait until a Chrysler parts department opens.
-Pray they have some in stock.
-Pay whatever they will ask for it.

If you happen to be in Quebec when this happens on a Friday after 5:00 pm, you can find a hotel and wait until Monday morning at 7:00 a.m. and continue your journey.

I bought this vehicle because I was looking for a bullet proof Landcruiser diesel replacement. Starting to feel like this is not the case. Apparently will need to research and buy all replacement fluids when doing any sort of long drive, off-roading or off the beaten path trips.

Bravo Chrysler/Jeep for taking a fluid you can normally buy from any gas station and making it a failure to start or move part. Put it on the shelves right beside crankshafts and injector pumps.

omsok is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-17-2015, 01:29 PM   #6
caulk04
2008 WK 

If you're in a bind, just use plain old fluid and don't worry about it until you can get the right stuff. It's not going to go kaput from a few days of the wrong stuff.

Get the thing home, get the right fluid and flush the system out.
Unread 01-17-2015, 10:22 PM   #7
caddydaddy
2007 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by caulk04 View Post
If you're in a bind, just use plain old fluid and don't worry about it until you can get the right stuff. It's not going to go kaput from a few days of the wrong stuff.

Get the thing home, get the right fluid and flush the system out.
+1, same with the other fluids, coolant, motor oil, brake fluid, trans.... any fluid is better than no fluid, but if it keeps you up at night, get the correct stuff in there!
caddydaddy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-18-2015, 05:59 AM   #8
jediknight
2008 WK 

As per the PS reservoir: image-2916160563.jpg

...self explanatory.
Unread 01-18-2015, 08:24 AM   #9
LouC
2007 WK 

So since you have the vehicle now just go and buy a qt of that and 2 qts of the transfer case fluid and you're good to go. It's not just Chrysler, all the companies are doing this with antifreeze, auto trans fluid, transfer case fluid etc. The days of genetic fluids are long gone. Back when I started wrenching it was simple: GM and ChryCo auto trans took Dexron, Ford took Type F. Every one used atf in p/s systems and there was only the old green antifreeze.
Look up the specs on any German or Japsnese vehicle they are all the same. The so called generic multi vehicle fluids are a gamble ....
LouC is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-19-2015, 08:44 AM   #10
omsok
2007 WK 

1 quart? What is volume needed for complete system fill. 2.5quarts? My hose popped off, due to no flange left on steel power steering hose. Possible theory suggests Chrysler may have "adjusted" Steel pipe when replacing swirl motor under warranty.
Unread 01-19-2015, 09:02 AM   #11
jediknight
2008 WK 

I've replaced ps pump once and been throught fluid change twice and also removed the hydrolic fan system once ... I dont see how they linked the swirl motor with the PS system or hoses ??? Very strange. Last time I changed my fluid I had to use all my 2 quarts if I remember... but I did a complete flush here.
Unread 03-07-2015, 06:02 AM   #12
Palak
2008 WK 

I'm telling ya... this forum is AWESOME...
Seems like whenever I need something, one of the more recent discussions is written JUST FOR ME!!!! XD

Just noticed the other day I was a little low... and was curious why good ole wal-mart PSF wouldn't work... now I know!... guess I'm off to the stealership!
Unread 03-08-2015, 09:33 AM   #13
omsok
2007 WK 

@Palak:

Yes it is very helpful. I guess we know that ATF+4 can be used in an emergency because so many people have used it, but then the system should be drained and refilled with the correct stuff. Since it is basically a clear lightweight hydraulic oil, it would be great to find the technical specs or equivalent, for emergency use, or out of country issues. The problem is if you snag or pop a line in latin America you will need to refill it with something in order to power your fan and not burn out your pump. I say this because when my return hose popped due to cold weather startup pressure build (See reservoir cap issues same as RAM 1500) it was reddish (mixed I guess) fluid covering the snow, not white hydraulic for $26 CDN per quart/ litre.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.