What LED Light bars are good? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > What LED Light bars are good?

WJ Shackle Tabs: Tow-Hook Replacements2014 Spartan Locker Special - While Supplies Last! Dana 3FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 09-29-2014, 07:06 PM   #1
TangoTango
2008 WK 

What LED Light bars are good?

I am looking for an LED Light Bar.

Roof Basket Mounted to the tubes.
Appox. between 32 and 42 inches wide
Spot/Flood Combo.

Curved or Straight? This is for mainly for 4x4 trails at night.

Is there a big difference between the lesser $$ cree vs. the rigid? is the price difference the mounts only?

What watts ... are the 3watts LED bulbs ok or junk?
What lums for good visability? What lums are the police bars.. they sure are bright.

Can these vary in frequency, can I get 3000k yellow or is the white better and what frequency?

Is it best to mount this in front of the roof baskest or inside the roof basket for tree protection? I am thinking just inside the bars?

I'm used to my old school Hella's and they light up a good 1/2 mile light daylight.

TangoTango is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-29-2014, 07:58 PM   #2
ttusqrl
WK Supporter
2005 WK 

You'll have to figure out the mount because it will be more difficult using the standard WK roof rack. I would imagine it will need to be straight just because of the mounting. As for pattern, the diffused on the sides with spot or flood on the middle is best in my opinion, second best is spot in the middle and flood on the sides. There is a big difference between lights -- if you find a brand, research the hell out of it. Do you have to go with Rigid? No. Should you put your time into seeing what lives up to the Rigid "standard"? Absolutely. Lumens are really up to the bar, again, do your research.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, Google is your friend. Do some research to narrow down your questions then come ask the group.
Unread 09-29-2014, 10:34 PM   #3
bumzo1
2005 WK 

I've got a 126w 20" combo light bar mounted in the lower grill and I'm very pleased with it. I purchased it off ebay for about $130 with a harness included but you can actually find it for under $100 now. Mine is rated for around 9000 lumens and its perfect for my occasional use. The one I have is a 30/60 combo so its not going to shine as far as a traditional spotlight but it does act as a really bright flood. As far as quality I have no complaints, I've had mine for about 4 months now and have driven through many thunderstorms/carwashes with no condensation issues. I'm pretty confident that it is just as tough as any of the name brands.

I'm actually looking at upgrading once prices drop a bit. On ebay now they have a 20" 240w 8/60 combo bar with 10w LEDs that looks really promising.
Khaki WK Club Member #1
bumzo1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread Yesterday, 06:10 AM   #4
0321Nick
2006 WK 

I went the eBay route - WWWWAAAAYYYYY Cheaper! I just made sure and did my due diligance, such as: shipped from US location (didn't care if it was made in China, just cared it came to me from someone in US), had a return policy with full refund. Other than that, I just made sure it produced the light I was looking for. So far, I have been extremely happy!

I attached my light bar to the leading edge of my Yakima roof rack on some HiLite mounts turned backwards and upside down to keep it as low profile as possible.

Light Output comparison
KHAKI CLUB #65
2006 WK 4.7L V8 - Modified OME HD with Bilstein 5125s (28" length); JBA UCA; JKS Rear Discos; K&N CAI; PowerStop Discs; HyperTech; TOYO Open Country AT IIs 285/70/17; + some other goodies
0321Nick is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread Yesterday, 06:09 PM   #5
TangoTango
2008 WK 

Thanks for the replies and the visual difference photo's with the 39" single on the build thread. There is a big difference between the 3-watt and the 10 watt LED's. That looks like it's a 240 watt bar 24 x 10 watts?

Ordered a shorter curved 32" 180 watt bar which is midway between the 240 watt and the 130 watt and some KC Light tabs to mount it to the 1.5" roof basket tube.

Found there is also a big difference between the higher end light bars and these lower end lights. The difference is the range, these go out several hundred feet vs. the higher end ones (and the old school Hellas) light up a good mile.
TangoTango is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.