Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

What the heck is going on with my 5.7 tranny?

1K views 6 replies 3 participants last post by  Bangarng 
#1 ·
Ok long story short this past week driving locally the parking assist disabled has been activating on it's own but fixes itself when putting in reverse or a restart. I'm talking like under 40 mph. Then this weekend I take a road trip and on the highway Friday night the Jeep jerks hard and is stuck in 4th. I turn it off for 10 minutes and when I turn it on there is no problem. Then after maybe 15 miles it goes back into 4th again, or I believe limp mode.

Same thing happened on the way back Sunday 15-20 minutes of driving around 60mph it goes into 4th gear and stays in 4th on it's own. Parking assist disabled on it's own driving locally today, and then on a test run it went into 4th again on it's own after driving on the highway for about 10 minutes.

No check engine light no codes on the scanner except for a p1776. Transmission fluid is at level, the temp needle stays just below center and I have 95k on the clock. I'm supposed to tow a boat this weekend. HELP!

Thanks all!

#2 ·
Park assist is completely separate.

Might need a higher level scanner to see the trans codes if there are any in there. Does the shifter indicator on the dash go to all brackets when it's giving trouble?

#3 ·
Hey caulk04. I busted out my tuner this time and the only code it found was a P1521 - Wrong oil even though I use 5W-20 Mobil 1 synthetic! I drove it around town today (under 45) for about 10 minutes and there was no issue. I have not noticed all the dash brackets light up when it's giving trouble. I was reading up on cleaning the ECM but decided not to just yet for that reason.

#7 ·
UPDATE: Drove a 300 mile round trip ranging from 50mph to 80mph and zero issues. WTF? So my transmissions magically fixed itself? Maybe this entire thing went down because it was almost 100 degrees out when I drove it and it was overheating. I have no clue. If it happens again I will post on this thread.

Either way I am leaning toward changing the fluids just to have a piece of mind.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.