Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

What have you broken or damaged off-road?

893 views 10 replies 10 participants last post by  JakeWK 
#1 ·
Just wondering are items have you damaged or broken while off-road. I don't see a whole lot of common broken parts or damaged items on here.

Looking under our new WK last night and it looks like there are a few electronics that could easily be taken off by a pointy rock.

Thanks

#2 ·
I had an axle half shaft boot get torn, then fill up with water from a creek. Cv joint was toast in less than a week...
I've seen an upper ball joint break on a trail, not mine though.
I've had and heard others have scratched the underside bad, one caught the lip of the rear differential cover, pouring the diff lube out.
That's about it.

Sent from my WK JGC phone...

#10 ·
I had an axle half shaft boot get torn, then fill up with water from a creek. Cv joint was toast in less than a week...
I've seen an upper ball joint break on a trail, not mine though.
I've had and heard others have scratched the underside bad, one caught the lip of the rear differential cover, pouring the diff lube out.
That's about it.

Sent from my WK JGC phone...
That's why I replaced it with a Solid Axle Ind cover.

There is also a poor man's fix:

at about the 4 and 7 o'clock positions the cover overlaps notches in the flange face of the pumpkin. File the cover back to mirror the flange face of the diff and you likely won't ever peel it back.

Now, as for impact protection on that rear diff - go heavy duty aftermarket.

#3 ·
If you're going wheelin' often in a rocky environment I recommend you purchase armor to protect the tender belly of the WK. That certainly will keep your damaged and broken parts list shorter! :grin2:

#6 ·
Fog light and front bumper cracked on a tree stump when I slid into it.. Ended up just trimming and painting the front bumper to keep it on haha.

I hit a tree branch on my $350 Thule roof rail setup, it tore one rail completely off the jeep and took the 2 end caps into the brush. Rail went back on, just without end caps. I'm sure Thule would want $75 for them, so F it. :laugh:

My front skid has taken some nasty scrapes, but the steel plate did its job.

And lots of real good tree scratches from front well to rear lights.. I've had people ask if my car got keyed before haha. I'm hoping they buff out eventually.

But it's all worth it, IMO.

#7 ·
Both front & rear plastic bumpers have torn, ripped a chunk off the left front rim, dented my sills, left guard & door, damaged the exhaust & pushed in the fuel tank skid plate.
Oh, also tore off the rear door seals (ones on the wheel arch) in deep water & damaged a rear brake line.

:highfive:

#9 ·
Broken? Nothing, but I went on a more advanced trail for a good 45 min and wacked my rear diff cover on some tall rocks. And I'm a stocker. Pretty sturdy thing

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.