What is this grommet for? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > What is this grommet for?

Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge BushingsFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 07-29-2013, 01:00 PM   #1
tleeming

What is this grommet for?

Hi, started noticing that the Jeep GC CRD is marking its territory. So I took the cover off underneath and this orange rubber grommet does not seem to fit very well and it looks like it might be the culprit? I have attached pictures...is this a possible culprit or just an access point?
Thanks
Tony
img_6576.jpg

img_6577.jpg

tleeming is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-29-2013, 04:41 PM   #2
suzieque
2008 WK 

that plug is access to the bell housing. mine is also loose. you need to find the source of that leak though. probably coming from topside, e.g. turbo.

by the way, do you have a 2 wire female plug just hanging down in that area? I have one and I'm not sure wtf it is for, here is a picture of the plug that I am referring to.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/attac...lug-circle.jpg
2008 WK "S" Limited bright metallic silver exterior, light graystone interior, 5 speed W5J400 transmission, June 18/2008 build, C213RE rear differential with 3.73 axle ratio, C200FE front differential with 3.73 axle ratio, 245/60R18 Goodyear Fortera tires (stock summer tires), NV245 transfer case, GT2056V turbo, 3.0L CRD (OM642.980)
suzieque is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-29-2013, 06:21 PM   #3
Chirpz

2007 WK 

Unless you have done something to cure your turbo inlet oil leak, I'm putting my money on that as the cause. Its a tiny leak but it builds up over time.
EHM MOD, Garmin Mechanic EcoHD, K&N Filter (Deleted)
Chirpz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-29-2013, 07:36 PM   #4
BAH101
2008 WK 

Had the same leak. Pulled the grommet and stuck my finger in there, came out clean. Took some degreaser type soap, lots of hot water (very hot) and poured it into the 'v' of the engine then rinsed with more hot water (Sunlight dish soap works excellent. Drivers in exploration camps us it to remove drilling grease. That's grease is nasty).
Of course, this was after I installed the intake hose with the new seal. No more leak.
Unread 07-29-2013, 11:58 PM   #5
tleeming

I think that plug is the same as mine shown in the picture....mine is attached to the bracket on the left...looks like there is a groove in the bracket to hold it...unfortunately, I had put the pan cover back on before I read your reply.
T

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzieque View Post
that plug is access to the bell housing. mine is also loose. you need to find the source of that leak though. probably coming from topside, e.g. turbo.

by the way, do you have a 2 wire female plug just hanging down in that area? I have one and I'm not sure wtf it is for, here is a picture of the plug that I am referring to.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/attac...lug-circle.jpg
Unread 07-30-2013, 12:08 AM   #6
tleeming

Thanks Chirpz...I have had 2 swirls motors go a couple of years ago and replaced the turbo cold input tube assy and seal but not the orange one on the hose from the CCvalve. Is the orange one a problem also. I have a bypass to a Provent CC filter on the CC pipe but I may have to replace those hoses as they are not designed for oil.
I will also have a clean-up in the V as suggested by BAH101
Thanks
T

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chirpz View Post
Unless you have done something to cure your turbo inlet oil leak, I'm putting my money on that as the cause. Its a tiny leak but it builds up over time.
Unread 07-30-2013, 09:46 AM   #7
suzieque
2008 WK 

I just did a little cleanup around the CCV breather this morning. Like Chirpz says, these small leaks on top of the engine create puddles/pools of oil hidden by the engine insulation foam. Eventually the pool/puddle is full and the oil makes its way down the bell housing.

do a thorough cleaning of the top end around the turbo base and the CCV breather. to clean the top end, I used the wand at the car wash to spray hot soapy water in an opening near the front radiator hose, you can just see the front of the oil cooler on top of the engine. this flushes hot soapy water passed the oil cooler and then passed the base of the turbo. I flushed mine well and made it spotless and then cleaned the bell housing and I watch it carefully afterward.

supposedly there is a oil drain hole near the base of the turbo that exits below the bell housing too.
2008 WK "S" Limited bright metallic silver exterior, light graystone interior, 5 speed W5J400 transmission, June 18/2008 build, C213RE rear differential with 3.73 axle ratio, C200FE front differential with 3.73 axle ratio, 245/60R18 Goodyear Fortera tires (stock summer tires), NV245 transfer case, GT2056V turbo, 3.0L CRD (OM642.980)
Unread 07-30-2013, 01:03 PM   #8
Radcrd
2007 WK 

I had the same leak, went away once I replaced the Turbo intake pipe with black seal version.
3 VW TDI's (sold)
Radcrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-03-2013, 03:27 PM   #9
tleeming

I can now report on my leak problem...After replacing all the CCV hose to and from the Provent filter with Aggie gas hose I thought I had it licked. The old hose was a bit mushy.
However, I still had drips which turned out to be diesel fuel. So began the process of figuring out where the leak came from and after a process of elimination we discovered the fuel is coming from inside the bell housing!! If you remove the red plug you can feel the fuel on the ring gear I took some photos to attach.
So, if anyone can throw light on the issue I would appreciate it.
Suzieque...that black wire and plug does a 180 and slides into the slot on the bracket on the pass. side. I have one on both sides. BTW the red plug is a cow to get back in!

Tony
img_6579.jpg

img_6580.jpg

img_6581.jpg

Unread 08-03-2013, 07:17 PM   #10
suzieque
2008 WK 

You need an inspection camera. As i said there are passageways that allow fluid on the top end to leak down to the grommet on the bell housing. I suspect it's done that way by the Germans to reduce the possibility of a fire on the top end.
Unread 08-04-2013, 09:35 AM   #11
Radcrd
2007 WK 

Check your fuel filter and connections. The filter or hoses could be leaking which would make its way down to the Bell housing.
3 VW TDI's (sold)
Radcrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-26-2013, 09:04 AM   #12
tleeming

Sorry to be so long to reply..I finally got my fuel leak sorted...turns out it was the fuel rail 68014068AA and one feeder tube 5175618AA. The replacement parts took ages to come in to the dealership. Parts cost $1500...total cost $2000.
No more dripping on the floor! With only 60,000 miles on the clock and an unresolved rattle (timing chain?) I'm seriously thinking of a trade in...the 2014 Hemi GC is starting look more appealing. Towing 2000 mile in Mexico, I can't risk any hiccups down there.
Tony
Unread 01-12-2014, 12:22 PM   #13
brewcider

Does anyone have the orange plug part number? It's stamped on it. I removed mine to find a leak, then put it back on, but it was mushy and didn't fit well. Then it fell off while I was driving and now I don't know the part number to order a replacement.
Unread 02-13-2014, 10:08 AM   #14
brewcider

I ordered a replacement plug... the part number is 68013686AA and it's made out of plastic and snaps right in place... it was only $3.
jeep-plug.jpg

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.