What is a "differential pinion mount bushing"? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > What is a "differential pinion mount bushing"?

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 04-26-2010, 04:49 PM   #1
jbwest17
2004 TJ Wrangler 

What is a "differential pinion mount bushing"?

Took the JGC to the dealer for a separate issue (see here) and during the inspection, they found another problem.

This is the description on the paperwork they gave me. They said I had a bad "front differential pinion mount bushing" and it would cost $640.00 to replace it.

I am not familiar with IFS, so could someone please tell me what they are talking about. I picked it up after hours, so the only person there was the cashier and she was clueless. I looked under the front end, but didn't see anything obvious.

Thanks.

jbwest17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-26-2010, 05:20 PM   #2
robpp

not 100% sure but the front diff is attached at 2 points with a rubber isolator. to replace them the entire front diff is dropped. these thigs are pressed in.

look around the top of the front pumpkin. you should see 2 mounting points for the diff itself.
Rob 007 Laredo 4.7 FFV 27X; DeBadg'd; Zaino'd; SRT8 Grill, Pedals, Strut; ClearBra; WeatherTech; LED Reverse; HIR Hi/Lo; SS Fog; Stealth Turns; 15% Tint; Stubbie; Rear Spoiler; Magnaflow; V1; 22Elite Console/Visors; Body Kit; Color Match Everything; TintedTails; K&N 63; Front Skid; QuickOilDrainValve; BatteryTender; SuperChips 91; Bilstein; Billet Window Switches; Greasable Addco Sways; RamMedic Hood; Fastman TB; BWoody Links; Kicker Upgrade w/Single Sub; AVIC F90BT Hacked; NeffyWrap ABCD; Putco LEDs; Viper 20s w/255/50; R1 Slot/Dimple w/Hawk Pro Ceramic; Whistler Mod w/FlashTech Halos
robpp is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-26-2010, 06:12 PM   #3
Texas WJ
Web Wheeler

2005 WK 

Is it shifting hard in and out of Park?
Unread 04-26-2010, 06:44 PM   #4
I8AHUMR
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Mine shifted hard from R->N and D->N when one was bad. The center one on mine went out around 50k. It seems to be fairly common from what I've seen on the forum.

The bill on mine was in the mid 300's. No more than $400.

05 WK, 5.7 Hemi, Quadra-Drive II
I8AHUMR is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-26-2010, 07:16 PM   #5
jbwest17
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Haven't noticed any problems shifting.
jbwest17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-26-2010, 07:49 PM   #6
I8AHUMR
1993 YJ Wrangler 

I'd crawl under there and take a look around. This thread describes my issue and has a picture for reference. As I said, I know many times a bad bushing will result in a hard shift. Maybe it's not too far gone???

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f67/h...ft-r-n-824555/

My bushing was on top of the diff. Number 14

Unread 04-26-2010, 08:36 PM   #7
brutusjeep
2006 WK 

Just had both of my front differential bushing replaced two weeks ago. It's hard to see if you craw under the jeep but you can move the differential around. If you go over a pot hole and it feels like there is a little extra wobble, that is what mine felt like. Had both replaced and they were practically down to nothing. 53k on my WK so I8AHUMR is spot on. I could feel the difference immediately.
2006 GC Limited, 5.7L HEMI, Quad II. 4XGUARD Belly & Front (black powder coat) skid plates. Matrix front guard, PIAA Matrix mounted lights, 265/70 Nitto Trail Graplers MT, 1.5" Spider Trax spacers, Super Chips Tuner, OME MD Lift, 4XGUARD differential guard, JBA UCA'S.
brutusjeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-26-2010, 09:39 PM   #8
maxst2
2006 WK 

The hard shift from R to anything was diagnosed from my dealer as the line pressure being high for reverse, to and from. Once I put the superchips on it and put the mileage saver tune it seemed to ease up.. maybe its just me though haha.
maxst2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-27-2010, 04:08 PM   #9
I8AHUMR
1993 YJ Wrangler 

I could tell a difference when stopping very quickly while in gear and then going into neutral, versus stopping very slowly. I could tell it was 'clunking' much more. I'm sure there was more energy stored in what was left of the bushing when doing that.

Unread 04-29-2010, 11:31 AM   #10
scottydog
2006 WK 

There are three bushings supporting the front dif. They wear out, common problem. If you ignore it the diff will go eventually. See how much it is to replace all three, the parts are cheap.
scottydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-10-2010, 12:49 PM   #11
fnckr

How did you do this? Is there a write up anywhere? Could you please post your steps even if you didn't take pics?
fnckr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-10-2010, 03:05 PM   #12
robpp

1. remove front diff
2. press out old bush, press in new bush X 3,
3. replace diff.
Rob 007 Laredo 4.7 FFV 27X; DeBadg'd; Zaino'd; SRT8 Grill, Pedals, Strut; ClearBra; WeatherTech; LED Reverse; HIR Hi/Lo; SS Fog; Stealth Turns; 15% Tint; Stubbie; Rear Spoiler; Magnaflow; V1; 22Elite Console/Visors; Body Kit; Color Match Everything; TintedTails; K&N 63; Front Skid; QuickOilDrainValve; BatteryTender; SuperChips 91; Bilstein; Billet Window Switches; Greasable Addco Sways; RamMedic Hood; Fastman TB; BWoody Links; Kicker Upgrade w/Single Sub; AVIC F90BT Hacked; NeffyWrap ABCD; Putco LEDs; Viper 20s w/255/50; R1 Slot/Dimple w/Hawk Pro Ceramic; Whistler Mod w/FlashTech Halos
robpp is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-10-2010, 09:25 PM   #13
fnckr

Quote:
Originally Posted by robpp View Post
1. remove front diff
2. press out old bush, press in new bush X 3,
3. replace diff.
I've read a post that described a much easier procedure, but wasn't very detailed. Basically, it said to remove driveshaft and some other diff mounting point (probably the three bushings) and rotate the differential down (probably on the half shaft axis).

That might be simpler than removing the half shafts to remove the differential, but I don't know the complete diff removal procedure. Do you have to remove each wheel hub in order to allow room to disconnect the shafts from the differential?
fnckr is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.