What did you do to your WK/XK today? - Page 41 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > What did you do to your WK/XK today?

The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!Safety Thimble FairleadsEngo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Unread 06-27-2011, 09:41 AM   #601
Budasac
2005 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoaxci5 View Post
Almost all amps have a low pass filter setting so it can be a full range speaker tap and not be an issue.

One of the reasons you generally tap the rear speakers is so you can help control sub volume by using the fade (front/rear) and not lose your front sound stage. In my case I have it set to like +4 front so the bass isn't as overpowering, but if I'm in the mood and listening to something that sounds good with some booming bass then I can just zero it back out and it's louder.
ok Hoax, school me. I want to add a sub eventually and I like to do things right the first time. I've wired lots of amps,but always to after market head units. I understand the low filter on the amp, I question tapping the rear speaker because it's only mids in my WK. The back doesn't get full range. Lows go to the front doors and highs to the dash. I would assume that's being split by the amp. So if I tap the rear speakers I would only get mid range going to my sub???

Also, did you use the line level inputs for the sub amp? Or did you use one of those filter/converters to switch over to the Low Level rca inputs (like the "pre out" on an after market head unit).?

Budasac is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-27-2011, 09:49 AM   #602
CmmdrDan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina_WK View Post
Yeah... I'm definitely get'n a picture with my WK and a baseball bat. Gotta make sure you remember. And to stay on topic.

I am changing the transfer case fluid in my WK and XJ today. ATF+4 for the WK, Dex III for the XJ.
Let me know how it is on the WK. I need to do mine also.
CmmdrDan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-27-2011, 09:52 AM   #603
AJeepZJ
2006 WK 

it is TERRIBLY easy to do on a WK, especially if you don't already have a skid in place.
Unread 06-27-2011, 09:59 AM   #604
CmmdrDan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina_WK View Post
it is TERRIBLY easy to do on a WK, especially if you don't already have a skid in place.
I need to do that and my diffs. Dont feel like it though.
Unread 06-27-2011, 10:53 AM   #605
hoaxci5
1995 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Budasac View Post
ok Hoax, school me.
In the XK with Boston speakers. The dash has tweeters, the front doors are mid range, and the back doors are full range. I would assume it's the same on the WK, but I don't know that for fact.

If you tap either output (front/rear) before the amp it doesn't matter because the amp does all the processing. If you tap after the amp you would want to tap the rears because it's the full range.

In my case I don't plan to replace the NAV unit, so I just tapped at the factory amp at the back and used hi level inputs on my amp. If I had planned to ever upgrade head units, I would have used a line out converter at the headunit itself to tap because then the rca's would already be run for when the new headunit comes into play.

It's my understanding that rcas are less susceptible to picking up engine noise which is why it's the preferred method of delivery to the amp. However over short runs from everything I've (and experienced with this setup) the high level inputs (speaker wire) seems to be doing just fine. Especially with a subwoofer the engine noise if it is there isn't going to be very noticeable if at all.

(disclaimer I'm self taught, but was pretty heavily into car audio stuff a few years ago.. I'm by no stretch a pro and I could very well be wrong on everything )
Unread 06-27-2011, 10:55 AM   #606
hoaxci5
1995 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CmmdrDan View Post
I need to do that and my diffs. Dont feel like it though.
You will need a pump ($7 from harbor freight) to do the front diff. Rear diff and transfer case are very easy as long as you have all the tools. Rear diff you will more than likely make a big mess if you've never done one before. Secret is only loosening the bolts and trying to pop the seal at the bottom without getting fluid all over everything.
Unread 06-27-2011, 11:15 AM   #607
Budasac
2005 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoaxci5 View Post
In the XK with Boston speakers. The dash has tweeters, the front doors are mid range, and the back doors are full range. I would assume it's the same on the WK, but I don't know that for fact.

If you tap either output (front/rear) before the amp it doesn't matter because the amp does all the processing. If you tap after the amp you would want to tap the rears because it's the full range.

In my case I don't plan to replace the NAV unit, so I just tapped at the factory amp at the back and used hi level inputs on my amp. If I had planned to ever upgrade head units, I would have used a line out converter at the headunit itself to tap because then the rca's would already be run for when the new headunit comes into play.

It's my understanding that rcas are less susceptible to picking up engine noise which is why it's the preferred method of delivery to the amp. However over short runs from everything I've (and experienced with this setup) the high level inputs (speaker wire) seems to be doing just fine. Especially with a subwoofer the engine noise if it is there isn't going to be very noticeable if at all.

(disclaimer I'm self taught, but was pretty heavily into car audio stuff a few years ago.. I'm by no stretch a pro and I could very well be wrong on everything )
Thenks for the info. I'll have to do some investigating. Like I said, I did plenty back in the day ( 15 yrs ago ), but we always ripped everything out and started from scratch. Never dealt w/ adding on to factorystuff. I peeped my amp in the rear when I was running my cb antenna. Didn't really look at it ,but it looked like there might be room to stuff a sub amp in there. Where did you mount yours??
Budasac is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-27-2011, 11:19 AM   #608
hoaxci5
1995 XJ Cherokee 

There isn't a lot of room in there, if you are getting a new smaller amp I'm sure it would fit. I've got a few year old power accoustik that is pretty big so it wasn't going to fit in there. I removed the plastic housing for the spare tire tools and mounted it under my third row seat.
Unread 06-28-2011, 02:57 PM   #609
wookiee
Bought, not built.

2007 WK 

100,000 miles.
Today, changing oil & filter, x-case, & both diffs, rotate tires, air filter, a/c filter, fuel filter, ordered rad hoses and serp belt (all on back-order) will change those when they come in.
07 Steel Blue Overland CRD QDII | Bilsteins | 4xguard Matrix | Rear SRT8 SwayBar | DashHawk w/egt | Provent MBRP XP Exhaust | New Intake Tube & Seal + EHM | Alternator Splash Guard | Crank Sensor | GPS AL InMotion Hack | Swirl motor bypass | Blue WK Club Member #13 | 100,000 Mile Club | Dogpiled Club | pre-N23 FDCM |
wookiee is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-28-2011, 03:39 PM   #610
sk8rcj
2005 WK 

Cracked front passenger window trying to unlock Jeep before I thought of my roadside assistance ......
Unread 06-28-2011, 03:50 PM   #611
danielkspencer
2008 WK 

I put these on. . .

255/70/17 DynaPro's on Mamba MR-1 Wheels

Black WK Club #45
danielkspencer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-28-2011, 03:54 PM   #612
CmmdrDan

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielkspencer View Post
I put these on. . .

255/70/17 DynaPro's on Mamba MR-1 Wheels
Looks Awesome! Happy with it?

In other news I just ordered two QwikValves. One for me and one for the lady. I have to do her oil tonight so hers wont go on till the next change. I have to do mine next week so it will go on then!
Unread 06-28-2011, 03:56 PM   #613
danielkspencer
2008 WK 

Love it

Black WK Club #45
danielkspencer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-28-2011, 08:40 PM   #614
84foxgt
2007 WK 

daniel, that looks baaad ***! are you running spacers? I just lifted mine the other day but am still running my factory wheels. i need to get them pushed out closer to the fenders.
84foxgt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-29-2011, 01:34 AM   #615
DAHEMI
2005 WK 

very Vader-ish danielkspencer

I got some clear driveway time today so did the cut and roll on the rear fender lips. just the forward lower part where there was clear interference. all the paint chipped off in the process but not visible from the outside. have to buy some of that undercoat spray. put the plastic lip back and will have to trim that around too? I guess for now if the tire rubs that it will be like curb feelers giving me a warning.

front weld lips next and the hitch chop too. oh yeah, I ended up buying a DeWalt angle grinder on sale awhile back! woot love the sparks a flying at work on the Jeep
[COLOR="Blue"]Blue WK Club Member #1[/COLOR]
my poor signature is thrashed so deleted it
[I]The Second Amendment - America's Original Homeland Security[/I]
DAHEMI is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.