What did you do to your WK/XK today? - Page 37 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > What did you do to your WK/XK today?

Dan's Old as Dirt Birthday Sale!Premium LED Lighting by VISION X, Proudly sold at ROCKRIDGGEARSHADE Pocket Tops in stock and available at ROCKRIDGE

Unread 06-25-2011, 09:22 PM   #541
84foxgt
2007 WK 

Got lifted, finally!!

84foxgt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-25-2011, 09:44 PM   #542
hoaxci5
1995 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 84foxgt View Post
Got lifted, finally!!
nope. I don't see a pic so you are lying.
Unread 06-25-2011, 10:04 PM   #543
84foxgt
2007 WK 

well hoax, fortunately or unfortunately I am much more mechanically inclined than technologicaly inclined. I have one picture that is on my droid. if you can assist me from getting it from there to here I would gladly show you.
84foxgt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-25-2011, 10:05 PM   #544
Budasac
2005 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherrybomb05 View Post
Good.

I have a question about my paint(mostly for budasac, because he knows all about cleaning, waxes, oh yeah and the color black )

When i wash my Jeep, if i dont dry it i get these spots on it, that look like water spots(i always dry it) It looks like i just drove through a puddle, or i didnt use spot free rinse(i always do). Its even worse when i have water spots from rain on my jeep. (Mind you this very jeep was clay barred and waxed a few months ago.) What i do when i wash

sometimes pre soak
soap
foam brush
rinse
spot free
air dry with the rest of the time

drive around the back and dry it with the micro fiber towels.

Also. i have to dry the back hatch, window, tail lights, and bumper, while they are wet, or else they look like crap and they appear to have water spots on them(even worse than the rest of the jeep. Its not the car wash because i take my truck and my wife's JK there too. It does this at any wash.

Any ideas.?
The first question is: Do you have hard water? ( do you get spots on your glasses in the dishwasher.)

I had hard water and installes a real good water filter and a water softener. It helped alot. I still have to dry it, but the spotting isn't nearly as bad as before if I don't. (* I always do).

Woops- I see you said you go to a car wash. Self wash???

Black cars need to be dried or any impurities in the water that are left behind will show. Black is tough to keep clean, but I think it looks the best when cared for.

I would suggest you buy a "California Water Blade" to assist in the drying. It's basically a squeegy made from medical grade silicone. Not only does it shed water off the Jeep very quickly, it doesn't scratch. ( unlike towels which leave micro scratches everywhere. I still give it a quick towel dry when I'm done, but there's very little water left and the towel is completely dry so you barely have to touch the paint with it.)

Also, make sure the paint surface is cool to the touch when washing. I always wash in the morning before the sun hits the Jeep, makes a big difference.

As far as the water spots from rain, there's not too much you can do to prevent it, beyond always keeping it waxed. I find I need to wax every two months to keep it looking really good. If you have a good coat of wax and she gets rained on you can use any brand fast wax spray like Meguires "Quick Detailer" or Surf City Garage "Speed Demon Detailer". 10 - 15 min. and you can wipe down the whole truck and it looks like it was just waxed.
Budasac is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-25-2011, 10:23 PM   #545
hoaxci5
1995 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 84foxgt View Post
well hoax, fortunately or unfortunately I am much more mechanically inclined than technologicaly inclined. I have one picture that is on my droid. if you can assist me from getting it from there to here I would gladly show you.
email it to yourself and upload it to photobucket, or similar. From there just link it, if you aren't that tech savy PM me or email it to hoaxci5@hotmail dot com and I'll put it up for you
Unread 06-25-2011, 10:28 PM   #546
cherrybomb05
2010 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Budasac View Post
The first question is: Do you have hard water? ( do you get spots on your glasses in the dishwasher.)

I had hard water and installes a real good water filter and a water softener. It helped alot. I still have to dry it, but the spotting isn't nearly as bad as before if I don't. (* I always do).

Woops- I see you said you go to a car wash. Self wash???

Black cars need to be dried or any impurities in the water that are left behind will show. Black is tough to keep clean, but I think it looks the best when cared for.

I would suggest you buy a "California Water Blade" to assist in the drying. It's basically a squeegy made from medical grade silicone. Not only does it shed water off the Jeep very quickly, it doesn't scratch. ( unlike towels which leave micro scratches everywhere. I still give it a quick towel dry when I'm done, but there's very little water left and the towel is completely dry so you barely have to touch the paint with it.)

Also, make sure the paint surface is cool to the touch when washing. I always wash in the morning before the sun hits the Jeep, makes a big difference.

As far as the water spots from rain, there's not too much you can do to prevent it, beyond always keeping it waxed. I find I need to wax every two months to keep it looking really good. If you have a good coat of wax and she gets rained on you can use any brand fast wax spray like Meguires "Quick Detailer" or Surf City Garage "Speed Demon Detailer". 10 - 15 min. and you can wipe down the whole truck and it looks like it was just waxed.
Yeah, its a self wash. I would never let a machine get that close to my jeep(even tho the po's did that lol)I usually wash it in the mornings, around 10-11. ill try drying it in the shade though. What confuses me though is that even after i wash it, it looks like it got rained on. Its weirdest thing, i cant really describe it, but you know when you're washing it the water drains down from parts of the tail gate, leaving a little spot dry, you can see little water spots, where the rain drops dried on it. I cant get them off unless i dry it when the jeeps wet. Its hard to describe, but do you get it? Ill try that meguires quik detailer tomorrow, and ill pick up that california water blade. You can find that at a auto parts place or a walmart or something right?
cherrybomb05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-25-2011, 10:57 PM   #547
Budasac
2005 WK 

Quote:
, you can see little water spots, where the rain drops dried on it. I cant get them off unless i dry it when the jeeps wet. Its hard to describe, but do you get it? Ill try that meguires quik detailer tomorrow, and ill pick up that california water blade. You can find that at a auto parts place or a walmart or something right?

So the spots aren't from the carwash. You're saying the spots are already there from the rain, and when you wash it they don't come off in the wash but rather when you dry with a towel?

Are going to one of those open bay car washes where you put the coins in and turn the selector knob to wheels, wand, brush, etc.?
Unread 06-25-2011, 10:59 PM   #548
cherrybomb05
2010 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Budasac

So the spots aren't from the carwash. You're saying the spots are already there from the rain, and when you wash it they don't come off in the wash but rather when you dry with a towel?

Are going to one of those open bay car washes where you put the coins in and turn the selector knob to wheels, wand, brush, etc.?
Yeah, its not the water. You are right on both terms.

Sent from my Droid using JeepForum
Unread 06-25-2011, 11:11 PM   #549
Budasac
2005 WK 

Quote:
Yeah, its not the water. You are right on both terms.
Dude, don't you have a three car garage and a big *** concrete driveway?

If there are rain spots left after you wash, but come out when toweling (and scratching) then it's not getting washed well enough. You're getting the same spots on the JK but they don't show on the silver. (the micro scratches don't show as much either.)

The foam brush just doesn't cut it. You need to get a nice micro fiber wash mit and some good car wash. Then get up early and give her a nice bath in the shade when it's cool out. Then water blade and lightly dry with a soft towel.

The "Quick Detailer" is good for when the truck is clean but gets rained on (leaving spots) or gets some dust on it. They also make a "California Duster" which is awesome if you live in a dusty area. I bought one for my Mustang because it's always clean but dusty from just sitting in the garage. I found I use it alot on the Jeep in the spring when there's alot of pollon.
Unread 06-25-2011, 11:13 PM   #550
DAHEMI
2005 WK 

I get those water spots too, and you can see where the water drains off the door handles and window trim etc. like acid rain runoff. I think the paint needs to be wetsanded or clay bar'd at least, then buffed back out and a nice layer of protective wax on top. if I had the time. and garage space to work in out of the sun! some day.
[COLOR="Blue"]Blue WK Club Member #1[/COLOR]
my poor signature is thrashed so deleted it
[I]The Second Amendment - America's Original Homeland Security[/I]
DAHEMI is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-25-2011, 11:21 PM   #551
Budasac
2005 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAHEMI View Post
I get those water spots too, and you can see where the water drains off the door handles and window trim etc. like acid rain runoff. I think the paint needs to be wetsanded or clay bar'd at least, then buffed back out and a nice layer of protective wax on top. if I had the time. and garage space to work in out of the sun! some day.
I used to live on the beach and my old Blazer (black also) would get salt deposits all over it from the ocean spray when it was parked over night. I would have to rinse it off every morning before I went to work. If it didn't have a good coat of wax on it the salt would just stick to it until it got washed.
Unread 06-25-2011, 11:22 PM   #552
cherrybomb05
2010 JK Wrangler 

Quote:

Dude, don't you have a three car garage and a big *** concrete driveway?

If there are rain spots left after you wash, but come out when toweling (and scratching) then it's not getting washed well enough. You're getting the same spots on the JK but they don't show on the silver. (the micro scratches don't show as much either.)

The foam brush just doesn't cut it. You need to get a nice micro fiber wash mit and some good car wash. Then get up early and give her a nice bath in the shade when it's cool out. Then water blade and lightly dry with a soft towel.

The "Quick Detailer" is good for when the truck is clean but gets rained on (leaving spots) or gets some dust on it. They also make a "California Duster" which is awesome if you live in a dusty area. I bought one for my Mustang because it's always clean but dusty from just sitting in the garage. I found I use it alot on the Jeep in the spring when there's alot of pollon.
Yeah, lol, why? I drive it in the rain, the black truck(same color as your jeep, with the sparkles. I like it more than regular black) stays inside

I use micro fiber towels, so it doesn't scratch it(atleast I can't see it)

I've got that california duster for my truck, I had two, but gave one to my mother in law, because she wanted one for her car. Haha

I don't think you can see the sparkles in the pic, but its called black granite metallic. 140$ upgrade it doesn't do it on this truck, you think my jeep needs to be re-waxed?
(Don't mind the crappy pic)
Note: you can see my old 4 runner in the 3rd stall.

forumrunner_20110626_002103.jpg  
Unread 06-25-2011, 11:36 PM   #553
Budasac
2005 WK 

Quote:
Yeah, lol, why? I drive it in the rain, the black truck(same color as your jeep, with the sparkles. I like it more than regular black) stays inside
I only mention the driveway because you should be hand washing your ****.
You certainly have plenty of room to work.

I have used those stall car washes in the winter when it was cold ( on my wifes truck)

If it's too cold for me to wash myself I go to a hand carwash. It's only a few bucks more then a regular carwash and well worth it. I even found a place sorta on my way to work (not really) that used to be all mechanical but was converted. They kept the track, underbody wash, rinse and blowers, but do all the washing by hand. I like it because most hand washes don't do the underbody, and up here in the northeast they dump tons of salt on the road when it snows. If you don't rinse that **** off it just eats your car up.
Unread 06-25-2011, 11:41 PM   #554
Budasac
2005 WK 

By the way, I would kill for your garage. I have a two car that's barely big enough for two cars.

You're pick-up would be sticking out from the rear axle back if you parked in my garage.
Unread 06-25-2011, 11:43 PM   #555
cherrybomb05
2010 JK Wrangler 

Quote:

I only mention the driveway because you should be hand washing your ****.
You certainly have plenty of room to work.

I have used those stall car washed in the winter when it was cold ( on my wifes truck)

If it's too cold for me to wash myself I go to a hand carwash. It's only a few bucks more then a regular carwash and well worth it. I even found a place sorta on my way to work (not really) that used to be all mechanical but was converted. They kept the track, underbody wash, rinse and blowers, but do all the washing by hand. I like it because most hand washes don't do the underbody, and up here in the northeast they dump tons of salt on the road when it snows. If you don't rinse that **** off it just eats your car up.
Yeah, Nebraska is pretty bad in the winter. They dump all the salt they have on the first inch we get and then we have none left for the left for the rest of the year.. lol.

As I say about nebraska, you'll freeze your *** off in the winter, and you'll burn it off in the summer. Haha

The only hand wash we have here slaps your car, and isn't really good about getting under your car. They also do oil changes, but the guys there spilled oil all over my jeep. :thumbsdown:

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.