What did you do to your WK/XK today? - Page 231 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > What did you do to your WK/XK today?

FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectJKS Now Available at www.baseline4x4.com, Trackbars, SkidsFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 03-15-2012, 05:36 PM   #3451
cmdrjim
2006 XK Commander 

Quote:
Originally Posted by S1L3NT_WH33L3R View Post
Do you have the mopar rock rails?
Rocky Road Supersliders, but they are flat black powdercoated. They look like they lower ground clearance, but they really don't, and are super strong. The mopars won't hold up.

http://www.rocky-road.com/jeep-comma...k-sliders.html

Unread 03-15-2012, 06:10 PM   #3452
S1L3NT_WH33L3R
2005 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmdrjim

Rocky Road Supersliders, but they are flat black powdercoated. They look like they lower ground clearance, but they really don't, and are super strong. The mopars won't hold up.

http://www.rocky-road.com/jeep-comma...k-sliders.html
Nice just curious, I have The Steel Armadillo ones
'05 WK Limited, QD-II, 5.7L HEMI, Volant Cold Air Intake, Aries Taillight Guards, Rola Roof Rack, Cobra CB, Firestik Antennas, Magnaflow Performance Exhaust, OME HD lift, 285/70-17 GY Duratracs, Spidertrax Spacers, Superchips Programmer, Steel Armadillo Super Sliders
~Jeep makes it HEMI shakes it~Ain't Nothing Humble about that HEMI Rumble~
S1L3NT_WH33L3R is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-15-2012, 06:29 PM   #3453
cmdrjim
2006 XK Commander 

Quote:
Originally Posted by S1L3NT_WH33L3R View Post
Nice just curious, I have The Steel Armadillo ones
Looking at the Steel Armadillo website, they look nice. But I think the Rocky Road Supersliders tie into the unibody frame better. The Steel Armadillos appear to only tie into the pinch weld from what I can tell from their pictures on the website. Where as the Rocky Roads, have three tubes, with plates on the ends that go farther underneath and tie into the unibody's box frame rails, along with the pinch weld. Just my observation from pictures and my install.
Unread 03-15-2012, 07:13 PM   #3454
Omelet
Evil Overlord!

2005 WK 

The SA sliders are super stout! They don't mount to the pinch weld, they rap around it and bolt into the unibody with nutserts. They replace the side skirts instead of mounting under them, increasing your ground clearance instead of reducing it like other sliders. They can really take a beating and won't bend when the whole body comes down on them like other sliders.

HEMI Club Member #31 - - - JEEP Makes It, HEMI Shakes It!!!
Omelet is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-15-2012, 07:22 PM   #3455
sixfoot9psu
2005 WK 

Nate, when you say like other sliders are you talking about the 4xguard or others? Or are the 4xg's pretty stout too?
'05 GC 5.7L Hemi QDII...Rock Krawler lift, 4XGuard Matrix, rock sliders, front and rear skids, belly guard, rear diff guard, Bilstein HDs, Volant intake, 265/70 Goodyear DuraTracs, Superchips, Rola roof rack, BORA wheel spacers, Rocky Road Leveling Spacers, Magnaflow muffler, KC Slimlights, BT catch can, tb cover, and underhood kit, Expanded Sheet Metal Grille
[URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f67/sixfoot9psus-build-thread-1341203/"]Build Thread[/URL]

'09 G8 GT 6.0L...Kooks Headers, Rotofab intake, SLP exhaust, Vector Motorsports Tune
sixfoot9psu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-15-2012, 07:35 PM   #3456
Omelet
Evil Overlord!

2005 WK 

No I like the 4xGuard ones too. They are also very stout and replace the side molding increasing your clearance. The only thing I didn't like about them is their lack of door protection. Which is why I now run the SA sliders.

Unread 03-15-2012, 07:50 PM   #3457
cmdrjim
2006 XK Commander 

It sounds like the SA are a good product too, it they mount as you say, maybe they need to change the pictures on the website to show the mounting better. Either one of these the SA or Rocky Roads you can slam them and support the whole weight of the Jeep! Don't go mopar someone here or on another site all ready proved they can't cut it.
Unread 03-15-2012, 07:56 PM   #3458
Omelet
Evil Overlord!

2005 WK 

The problem is that the mounting design is owned by Doc (the SA fabricator) and he doesn't want any pics of the mounts uploaded anywhere. That is why Jon does not have any good shots up on the site and out of respect I have not uploaded any either.

Unread 03-15-2012, 08:04 PM   #3459
cmdrjim
2006 XK Commander 

That's the problem with coming up with a good idea, you got to show enough to sell it and hope no one steals your idea. I know that very well.
Unread 03-15-2012, 08:13 PM   #3460
Omelet
Evil Overlord!

2005 WK 

Haha! Yep! You build something awesome that everyone wants and someone will take it and call it their own.

Unread 03-15-2012, 08:13 PM   #3461
NGreen
2008 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by omelet View Post
The problem is that the mounting design is owned by Doc (the SA fabricator) and he doesn't want any pics of the mounts uploaded anywhere. That is why Jon does not have any good shots up on the site and out of respect I have not uploaded any either.
That kinda sucks but it's understandable. I wouldn't buy a product though unless I could see the actual product and understood exactly how it worked and how it mounted. That's really the only way to judge which product will work better for you unless you just feel like wasting money.
NGreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-15-2012, 08:15 PM   #3462
Omelet
Evil Overlord!

2005 WK 

I could be wrong but he might be trying to patent the design and until then you have to buy it to see how it works. If you watch some of Sal's vids you will see that they hold up to some abuse though!

Unread 03-15-2012, 08:52 PM   #3463
sixfoot9psu
2005 WK 

maybe i'll see it on my desk soon since i'm a patent examiner in the motor vehicle division of the patent office
'05 GC 5.7L Hemi QDII...Rock Krawler lift, 4XGuard Matrix, rock sliders, front and rear skids, belly guard, rear diff guard, Bilstein HDs, Volant intake, 265/70 Goodyear DuraTracs, Superchips, Rola roof rack, BORA wheel spacers, Rocky Road Leveling Spacers, Magnaflow muffler, KC Slimlights, BT catch can, tb cover, and underhood kit, Expanded Sheet Metal Grille
[URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f67/sixfoot9psus-build-thread-1341203/"]Build Thread[/URL]

'09 G8 GT 6.0L...Kooks Headers, Rotofab intake, SLP exhaust, Vector Motorsports Tune
sixfoot9psu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-15-2012, 09:11 PM   #3464
AJeepZJ
2006 WK 

On the subject of the SA sliders, I am also a proud owner of these sliders and receive inquiries about it all the time. Unfortunately I have to tell them that owning an XK/WK is a prerequisite, lol. But the primary feature that drew me to the SA sliders is the protection that no other slider effectively addresses, which is the horizontal protection in case of sliding into rock or other obstacles.
Unread 03-16-2012, 05:53 AM   #3465
cmdrjim
2006 XK Commander 

Wouldn't you consider this horizontal protection?
2012-03-15_18-31-59_139.jpg  

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.