What did you do to your WK/XK today? - Page 220 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > What did you do to your WK/XK today?

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineOfficial Chassis Saver Rust Preventive Truck & Auto UnFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 03-06-2012, 08:56 PM   #3286
t3kmitch
2005 WK 

-Gave the wk a bath.
-Ran to the dealer in town to see if they had sway bar bushings & brackets in stock. They didn't, so I'm picking them up tomorrow.

Quick dealer rip... the parts guy had to look it up by my vin to know what size sway bar I had. Not too big of a deal, but when we walked out he commented on the lift in what sounded like a negative way. Asked his opinion of what my loose feeling in the wheel is and he just blamed the lift and claimed that I may need a stronger steering stabilizer (on a wk?) because I put "so much bigger" tires on.

-Other than that I plastidipped the wheels. Took way longer than I thought it would. Was dark by the time I got them back on so I don't have a finished product pic.

I think I need a bigger jack or a new piece of wood. This one is pretty brittle and splitting bad, so rather than dropping the wk in my face I through a couple ratchet straps on hoping it would keep it in one piece.

Borrowed jack stands from the mechanic at work (no where to store my own). They happen to be 6 ton stands so I had to crank it up in the air to fit them underneath. You can see my bent license plate from a snowmound the other day, still haven't taken it off to bend it all the way back.

First one didn't go perfect. Sprays out slower than I was expecting and I ended up missing a couple edges.

Four of them first coat.

Left the centercaps silver.

The lug nuts make it look better.

Blue WK Club Member #32
t3kmitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-06-2012, 09:03 PM   #3287
mattydipps
2006 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by t3kmitch View Post
-Gave the wk a bath.
-Ran to the dealer in town to see if they had sway bar bushings & brackets in stock. They didn't, so I'm picking them up tomorrow.

Quick dealer rip... the parts guy had to look it up by my vin to know what size sway bar I had. Not too big of a deal, but when we walked out he commented on the lift in what sounded like a negative way. Asked his opinion of what my loose feeling in the wheel is and he just blamed the lift and claimed that I may need a stronger steering stabilizer (on a wk?) because I put "so much bigger" tires on.

-Other than that I plastidipped the wheels. Took way longer than I thought it would. Was dark by the time I got them back on so I don't have a finished product pic.

I think I need a bigger jack or a new piece of wood. This one is pretty brittle and splitting bad, so rather than dropping the wk in my face I through a couple ratchet straps on hoping it would keep it in one piece.

Borrowed jack stands from the mechanic at work (no where to store my own). They happen to be 6 ton stands so I had to crank it up in the air to fit them underneath. You can see my bent license plate from a snowmound the other day, still haven't taken it off to bend it all the way back.

First one didn't go perfect. Sprays out slower than I was expecting and I ended up missing a couple edges.

Four of them first coat.

looks good man make sure you post some pics tomorrow im interested in seeing the rc lift plus the mlls too
Unread 03-06-2012, 09:03 PM   #3288
08Hemiwk

That wood is really unsafe bro, pick up the aluminum racing jack from harbor frieght on sale, 60 bucks
08 WK Hemi: 4" Superlift, 305/55/20 Terra Grapplers, 20x9 KMC Misfits, Superchip, AirRaid Intake, Custom Exhaust, Custom Toolbox Mount, 4xG Rear Diff Guard, JKS Quick Disconnect, Rola Rack, KC Daylighters
08Hemiwk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-06-2012, 09:10 PM   #3289
S1L3NT_WH33L3R
2005 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by t3kmitch
-Gave the wk a bath.

Four of them first coat.

Lmao a steering stabilizer...that is one confused parts rep
'05 WK Limited, QD-II, 5.7L HEMI, Volant Cold Air Intake, Aries Taillight Guards, Rola Roof Rack, Cobra CB, Firestik Antennas, Magnaflow Performance Exhaust, OME HD lift, 285/70-17 GY Duratracs, Spidertrax Spacers, Superchips Programmer, Steel Armadillo Super Sliders
~Jeep makes it HEMI shakes it~Ain't Nothing Humble about that HEMI Rumble~
S1L3NT_WH33L3R is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-06-2012, 09:19 PM   #3290
vada9
2007 WK 

honestly I dont remember I just know is was the strongest one they had..bought it 2 years ago
vada9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-06-2012, 09:26 PM   #3291
TurboDiesel
2008 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by blizzboy283 View Post
Ohhh ok, 2x the strength of the harbor freight one I was eyeing. How much?
It was on sale when I bought it for $25
Now its $35 I think
255/75R17 BFG KM1's
17" ion alloy rims
15" kicker solo baric L7 w/ Alpine m1000 amp
aftermarket headlights w/5000k HIDs
Red interior LEDs and Red license plate LED
Tinted tails
5% tint over the rear windows
more to come....
TurboDiesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-06-2012, 09:34 PM   #3292
sixfoot9psu
2005 WK 

so i tried to pull a spark plug to check to see if they're the originals or how bad they were and the one i tried taking out was seized in there enough that i gave up...i didn't want to turn so hard that i broke something...looks like i'll be paying someone to replace my plugs so that i don't have to deal with that headache
'05 GC 5.7L Hemi QDII...Rock Krawler lift, 4XGuard Matrix, rock sliders, front and rear skids, belly guard, rear diff guard, Bilstein HDs, Volant intake, 265/70 Goodyear DuraTracs, Superchips, Rola roof rack, BORA wheel spacers, Rocky Road Leveling Spacers, Magnaflow muffler, KC Slimlights, BT catch can, tb cover, and underhood kit, Expanded Sheet Metal Grille
[URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f67/sixfoot9psus-build-thread-1341203/"]Build Thread[/URL]

'09 G8 GT 6.0L...Kooks Headers, Rotofab intake, SLP exhaust, Vector Motorsports Tune
sixfoot9psu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-06-2012, 09:44 PM   #3293
sixfoot9psu
2005 WK 

so is one 12 oz spray can enough to plastidip 4 wheels? i was thinking about trying it out to see if i like it in person...i've never seen it first hand
'05 GC 5.7L Hemi QDII...Rock Krawler lift, 4XGuard Matrix, rock sliders, front and rear skids, belly guard, rear diff guard, Bilstein HDs, Volant intake, 265/70 Goodyear DuraTracs, Superchips, Rola roof rack, BORA wheel spacers, Rocky Road Leveling Spacers, Magnaflow muffler, KC Slimlights, BT catch can, tb cover, and underhood kit, Expanded Sheet Metal Grille
[URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f67/sixfoot9psus-build-thread-1341203/"]Build Thread[/URL]

'09 G8 GT 6.0L...Kooks Headers, Rotofab intake, SLP exhaust, Vector Motorsports Tune
Unread 03-06-2012, 09:47 PM   #3294
mattydipps
2006 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sixfoot9psu View Post
so is one 12 oz spray can enough to plastidip 4 wheels? i was thinking about trying it out to see if i like it in person...i've never seen it first hand

your gonna need like 3-4 cans for the wheels..
Unread 03-06-2012, 10:23 PM   #3295
sixfoot9psu
2005 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattydipps

your gonna need like 3-4 cans for the wheels..
So almost 1 can per rim?

Unread 03-06-2012, 10:30 PM   #3296
mattydipps
2006 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sixfoot9psu

So almost 1 can per rim?
Plasti dip is meant to go on LIGHT coats and a lot of coats your looking at 3-4 maybe even 5 coats per rim.... 5 rims that's a total of 25 coats

You may be able to get away with 3 but there was a thread on jg where everyone said they used 3-4 some even used 5 lol make sure you sand those rims down GOOD before lol
Unread 03-06-2012, 10:33 PM   #3297
sixfoot9psu
2005 WK 

Will it not stick well if you don't sand it? I don't want to make irreversible changes to my rims.

Unread 03-06-2012, 10:39 PM   #3298
Jeep_Country
2008 JK Wrangler 

I used 2 cans for all 4 rims. Both times, and I did 6 coats per rim.
Unread 03-06-2012, 10:43 PM   #3299
mattydipps
2006 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sixfoot9psu
Will it not stick well if you don't sand it? I don't want to make irreversible changes to my rims.

Sorry I had a mind fart, I used rim paint on mine and I sanded it to ensure a nice stick plasti dip should stick nicely to the rim the way they are I'm almost positive no need for sanding, try it on your spare first so you know how many coats/ cans you'll need
Unread 03-06-2012, 11:30 PM   #3300
Camp
2005 WK 

I wouldn't sand your wheels before plasti dipping if I were you. As long as the wheels are clean it will stick just fine. I think I did 4 good coats with 3 1/2 cans. It came out perfect. Stayed that way for a couple months til I got new wheels/tires. Didn't peel off at all.

Edit: I did 3 coats with exactly 2 cans.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.