What did you do to your WK/XK today? - Page 147 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > What did you do to your WK/XK today?

Building a Bumper?Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~

Unread 12-22-2011, 12:43 PM   #2191
Muddy4DSM

My new ARB 3/4" shackles have been delivered... sitting on the front step at home. I have nothing to install them onto yet, and won’t for a couple weeks, but I’m still excited and can’t wait to go home and get the box!

I have the attachment plates cut for my front recovery points, just waiting on our laser operator to come back after Christmas to cut through the 1” thick plate for the shackle bracket portion of the mount.

Unread 12-22-2011, 12:56 PM   #2192
mattydipps
2006 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muddy4DSM
My new ARB 3/4" shackles have been delivered... sitting on the front step at home. I have nothing to install them onto yet, and won’t for a couple weeks, but I’m still excited and can’t wait to go home and get the box!

I have the attachment plates cut for my front recovery points, just waiting on our laser operator to come back after Christmas to cut through the 1” thick plate for the shackle bracket portion of the mount.
Ah building your own? I've been thinking about that for aa while now hows it going for you
Unread 12-22-2011, 01:15 PM   #2193
Muddy4DSM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattydipps View Post
Ah building your own? I've been thinking about that for aa while now hows it going for you
Not too bad so far. Luckily Im an engineer by trade and work at a manufacturing facility so I have access to solid works (3D modeling) and laser cutters. The guys on the floor had some scraps so they were pretty cool about cutting stuff for me. I actually just modeled up a plate and used some of the pictures Ive see online to help scale the location of the holes, printed a 1:1 version and cut that out to test fit the hole locations. Everything seemed to line up so I had them cut a pair of plates and they seem to fit just fine. Wont know for sure until I remove the bumper and put them in, but if theyre off a bit I can drill out the frame holes a little easier than through this plate. The thick parts that the shackles come through need some adjustments to the laser so our operator will cut them when he gets back from vacay, and the floor manager is pretty cool about letting me borrow his welders.

Dont know what kind of material/resources you have available, but if you have a similar situation, its really not too bad at all.

For the record, I did a little FEA/stress analysis on the parts, and the 1 thick piece was able to hold nearly 19,500 lbs assuming the whole attachment surface was connected, and over 10K lbs assuming 1/8 wide weld around the perimeter and the two plug weld holes. Assuming a thorough weld, they should be plenty strong!
Unread 12-22-2011, 08:14 PM   #2194
sunrcr69
2005 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muddy4DSM View Post

For the record, I did a little FEA/stress analysis on the parts, and the 1 thick piece was able to hold nearly 19,500 lbs assuming the whole attachment surface was connected, and over 10K lbs assuming 1/8 wide weld around the perimeter and the two plug weld holes. Assuming a thorough weld, they should be plenty strong!
What materials did you calc this on?
2005 WK 5.7L Hemi, RC 2" BB + fabrication = 3.5" lift, JK Rubicon Tires & Wheels, 1.25" Spacers, Fabricated Skidplate, Fabricated Recovery Points, Airaid CAI, Superchips, HIDs RED WK Club #10
sunrcr69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-22-2011, 08:21 PM   #2195
mattydipps
2006 WK 

Quote:
Not too bad so far. Luckily Im an engineer by trade and work at a manufacturing facility so I have access to solid works (3D modeling) and laser cutters. The guys on the floor had some scraps so they were pretty cool about cutting stuff for me. I actually just modeled up a plate and used some of the pictures Ive see online to help scale the location of the holes, printed a 1:1 version and cut that out to test fit the hole locations. Everything seemed to line up so I had them cut a pair of plates and they seem to fit just fine. Wont know for sure until I remove the bumper and put them in, but if theyre off a bit I can drill out the frame holes a little easier than through this plate. The thick parts that the shackles come through need some adjustments to the laser so our operator will cut them when he gets back from vacay, and the floor manager is pretty cool about letting me borrow his welders.

Dont know what kind of material/resources you have available, but if you have a similar situation, its really not too bad at all.

thats pretty technical, lmao very well thought up... if you work out a nice set let us know

i spoke to my welding buddy today and introduced him to sunrcr69's build thread hoping hes got something along those lines laying around and could whip something up for me
Unread 12-22-2011, 08:48 PM   #2196
Muddy4DSM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunrcr69 View Post
What materials did you calc this on?
All of our calculations here are based on 1008/1010 child rolled steel. The plate probably isn't called rolled, but used that for my calculations since we had that material in house. The yield locations for the part are actually in the front side where it couldn't be a welded (under the lobe) and it was buckling back into the 1/4" plate (or where it would be) so that 10K number is probably still a little low.
Unread 12-22-2011, 08:49 PM   #2197
Muddy4DSM

Quote:
thats pretty technical, lmao very well thought up... if you work out a nice set let us know

i spoke to my welding buddy today and introduced him to sunrcr69's build thread hoping hes got something along those lines laying around and could whip something up for me
yeah, sorry about that, I tend to get a lil wordy on forums - always want to make sure I'm thorough with my responses, lol
Unread 12-22-2011, 08:54 PM   #2198
mattydipps
2006 WK 

you lost me at .... "im an engineer" lol
Unread 12-22-2011, 09:00 PM   #2199
Muddy4DSM

Quote:
you lost me at .... "im an engineer" lol
Haha, yeah, built in nerd here. I figured I'd feel much more comfortable with a custom set if I did a lil testing on my own. Want to make sure they hold up when I need to make use of them! Plus I'm bored at with this week so thought I'd work on a lil something to keep my interest, haha.
Unread 12-22-2011, 09:29 PM   #2200
sunrcr69
2005 WK 

Quote:
All of our calculations here are based on 1008/1010 child rolled steel. The plate probably isn't called rolled, but used that for my calculations since we had that material in house. The yield locations for the part are actually in the front side where it couldn't be a welded (under the lobe) and it was buckling back into the 1/4" plate (or where it would be) so that 10K number is probably still a little low.
Good to know. I built my recovery points from A-36 (hot Rolled) with 3/8" weld (multiple passes) all the way around and 2 plug welds. But since the weak peice here is the stamped 1/8" frame where they mount, I doubt I could hurt these. The holes in the frame would let go first.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f67/b...oints-1292941/
2005 WK 5.7L Hemi, RC 2" BB + fabrication = 3.5" lift, JK Rubicon Tires & Wheels, 1.25" Spacers, Fabricated Skidplate, Fabricated Recovery Points, Airaid CAI, Superchips, HIDs RED WK Club #10
sunrcr69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-23-2011, 08:47 AM   #2201
JeepMDHemi
2005 WK 

Just signed for the delivery of my Hids!!!!! Hope to install tonight or tomorrow!!!
Unread 12-23-2011, 09:30 AM   #2202
Muddy4DSM

Just dropped off my shackle pins down at the powder coat line - new coat red powder, coming right up! Gonna blast off the old color on them too...

Not to sound like a total pretty boy on this one, but the ARB shackles I got from Quadratec came in a box just kinda floating around in there and the red pins were all chipped to hell, looks like they've had a few years of abuse. Is this normal for this type of part to be this beat up? Either way, it's getting a new coat so they look clean after installation
Unread 12-23-2011, 09:42 AM   #2203
Muddy4DSM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunrcr69 View Post
Good to know. I built my recovery points from A-36 (hot Rolled) with 3/8" weld (multiple passes) all the way around and 2 plug welds. But since the weak peice here is the stamped 1/8" frame where they mount, I doubt I could hurt these. The holes in the frame would let go first.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f67/b...oints-1292941/
I hope you don't mind, but I actually used your design for the hole layout and the plug weld idea on the top side. Then took some of the shape design from the $150 ones and used that to give it a little detail.

I'm taking some pictures as I go and can hopefully make a little build guide when I'm done and I can link from your thread. I just won't want to get in trouble from the manufacturer for building something similar to what they sell, ya know?
Unread 12-23-2011, 11:52 AM   #2204
Jeep_Country
2008 JK Wrangler 

Got my Matrix coming in today, and I finished my expanded aluminum grill yesterday. Jeep's coming together
Unread 12-23-2011, 12:01 PM   #2205
mattydipps
2006 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeep_Country View Post
Got my Matrix coming in today, and I finished my expanded aluminum grill yesterday. Jeep's coming together
hows the grille look did you keep it chrome or painted it ?

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.