What armor should I go for first - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > What armor should I go for first

The RuffStuff "I can't go to EJS" Sale!Offset Tie Rod Kit From RuffStuff!Check out our NEW Steering Stuff!

Unread 08-13-2013, 07:30 PM   #1
ColinWK
2005 WK 

What armor should I go for first

Hi,

I'm on a high school budget and would like to know what the most important piece of armor is to buy. Also, what brands do you recommend? Thanks

ColinWK is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-13-2013, 07:32 PM   #2
ca07wk
2007 WK 

Do you have any factory steel skids? I'd probably go for the belly pan
OME HD / Bilsteins / RRO UCA / Toyo AT2 on Moabs / Volant / Viper TB / Powerwire / TB Ground / Sprint Booster / JKS Rear Discos / Asfir Skid / Apsen Creek Skid / Front Shackles / Rear Sliders / Cobra CB / S4xC Antenna Mount w/ 2' Firestix
ca07wk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-13-2013, 07:34 PM   #3
ColinWK
2005 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ca07wk View Post
Do you have any factory steel skids? I'd probably go for the belly pan
Unfortunately no. I've read that 4xguard has the best belly skid. Would you agree with that?
Unread 08-13-2013, 07:43 PM   #4
ca07wk
2007 WK 

4xguard or Asfir... hopefully tomorrow I will officially be selling Asfir. I sell the full line of 4 xguard as well
OME HD / Bilsteins / RRO UCA / Toyo AT2 on Moabs / Volant / Viper TB / Powerwire / TB Ground / Sprint Booster / JKS Rear Discos / Asfir Skid / Apsen Creek Skid / Front Shackles / Rear Sliders / Cobra CB / S4xC Antenna Mount w/ 2' Firestix
Unread 08-13-2013, 07:49 PM   #5
ColinWK
2005 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ca07wk View Post
4xguard or Asfir... hopefully tomorrow I will officially be selling Asfir. I sell the full line of 4 xguard as well
Awesome. I'll look into your website tomorrow.

I can never find any asfir products for the WK on their website so I think I'm just going to stick with 4xguard. Looks like they just post WK2 stuff or I'm blind.

Would you consider skid plates easy to install? As a 17 year old I would like to save some money here and there.
Unread 08-13-2013, 07:59 PM   #6
jjt250
2007 WK 

The Steel Armadillo has a great belly skid also!
Unread 08-13-2013, 08:01 PM   #7
ca07wk
2007 WK 

Oh yea I forgot about the steel armadillo. I'll be carrying them shortly as well. Asfir has wk stuff its just lab led weird.
Unread 08-13-2013, 08:01 PM   #8
sk1er18
2007 XK Commander 

IMO I think the Steel Armadillo belly skid is better than 4XG (and im currently running the 4XG but have seen the SA version as well).

Skid plates are bolt on... as easy as it gets.

Edit: there's a member on theultimatejeep selling his S.A. belly skid (he sold his XK)
sk1er18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-13-2013, 08:13 PM   #9
ColinWK
2005 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sk1er18 View Post
IMO I think the Steel Armadillo belly skid is better than 4XG (and im currently running the 4XG but have seen the SA version as well).

Skid plates are bolt on... as easy as it gets.

Edit: there's a member on theultimatejeep selling his S.A. belly skid (he sold his XK)
Nice catch, thanks for telling me. I'm assuming the XK belly skid will fit my WK?
Unread 08-13-2013, 08:20 PM   #10
sk1er18
2007 XK Commander 

I'm pretty sure it is. Could always call/email Jon (the owner) just to verify.

Only issue with the SA skid was the oil drain hole was slightly off, which was fixed a while ago.
sk1er18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-13-2013, 09:12 PM   #11
tjkj2002
2002 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColinWK View Post
Hi,

I'm on a high school budget and would like to know what the most important piece of armor is to buy. Also, what brands do you recommend? Thanks
Get good front and rear recovery points 1st before any armor as it will be no use if they destroy something expensive trying to pull you out.
Unread 08-14-2013, 05:57 AM   #12
JeepN4KC
Keep on Jeepin on........

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColinWK View Post
Hi,

I'd get a front (under the diff/oil pan) and belly (covering the cats) first. Those spots seem to take a hit most often and that's with careful line selection, tire placement, and good spotting.

My Build Thread WK
My Other Build Thread XJ
'01 XJ with some stuff
Sept 2013 Cherokee of the Month
'07 WK with some other stuff
~RED WK CLUB #7~
'11 KK with mostly stock stuff
'06WK our first Jeep with stock stuff - totalled and gone
JeepN4KC is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-14-2013, 06:44 AM   #13
paroxysym
2007 WK 

i was going to say if anything get the front skid first and worry about the rest later.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.