Weird door panel problem - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > Weird door panel problem

THE NEW! VANCO DUAL MODE 15/16″ Big Brake Kit w/BlaSavvy Billet LED Tail LightsCurrie

Unread 07-19-2013, 08:37 AM   #1
TheRedXJmom
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Weird door panel problem

I was not successful in my searching to see if this is a common problem or not so I am posting to see in anyone else has had this issue. I have a 2010 WK. We bought it used in 6/12. Took it to Hershey Park 7/4/12, where it sat in the heat (90's) all day, no problem. Took it to the beach 8/12, where it was not garaged all week and sat in heat (upper 80's-90's) all day every day for a week, no problem. Went to Raleigh, NC first week of April this year where temps were in upper 80's, no problem. On 5/31/13, parked on top deck of a hospital parking garage at 12:15pm when temp was around 90. Left hospital at 5:30pm when temp was around 93 per my temp gauge. Stopped at a grocery store to get milk and was not able to open front passenger door to put milk on passenger side to leave. The door handle was fully functional but the door would not budge. Tried to open from the inside, but could not. Drove to the elementary school to pick up one of my kids from his day long field trip. After parking in the parking lot (~7pm), I was not able to open the driver's side door from the inside. Exited from the rear passenger side and tried to open the driver's side from the outside, no luck. Per husband's suggestion, tried locking & unlocking repeatedly, but still neither front door would open. The rear passenger doors opened with no problem. Both the front doors had functional handles but the doors would not budge. So, my son and I had to enter the WK from the rear passenger doors and I crawled into the driver's seat from the back seat (not a pretty sight...). Got home ~7:15pm, and parked in my garage spot. When my husband got home, I drove my trusty XJ back to the hospital while he dealt with the WK. He was able to get the front passenger door panel off and from looking at the door theorized that the lining had expanded, causing the door panel to catch (the curved part at the bottom of the door) and prevent the door from opening (sorry, I don't know all the specifics. I was getting info from him via text messages while I was at the hospital with our sick teen. Normally when he works on my Jeeps, he shows me what's going on when I'm home). He put the passenger side door back together and it was able to open and close properly. Since my husband theorized this was a heat and/or humidity related issue, he waited until morning to check the driver's side but the issue did not resolve itself and he had to take off the driver's door panel also. Luckily, this has not happened again. We took the WK back to Hershey last week in 90+ heat, no problem We've had temps in the mid- to upper-90's this week, (although the WK does spend more than half the day in our garage), no problem. So, anyone else ever have an issue with the front door panels expanding, catching and preventing the doors from opening? Advice to make sure this doesn't happen again?

TheRedXJmom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-19-2013, 01:17 PM   #2
Zlartibartfast
2007 WK 

I haven't heard of that one before - that's very odd. Where I live it typically gets to over 100 in the shade by 3PM at this time of year. I've never had any car suffer from a stuck door. I've had my WK for just over one year now, been out with it repeatedly during hot weather parked in the sun, with interior temps reaching +130 F. My door hinges creak when it's that hot, but it doesn't stick.

Also I don't think the plastic expands as much as the metal so I would't expect the door panel to be the culprit, but I wasn't there to see it so I could be wrong.

For preventative action I suggest some silicon grease around the edges where the door makes contact with the body. Even if it does swell up the grease would allow it to move free without sticking. Watch out you could get it on your clothes entering and exiting the car.....
Zlartibartfast is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-19-2013, 01:40 PM   #3
10Xk
2010 XK Commander 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zlartibartfast
For preventative action I suggest some silicon grease around the edges where the door makes contact with the body. Even if it does swell up the grease would allow it to move free without sticking. Watch out you could get it on your clothes entering and exiting the car.....
How's that help with the theorized "expanding liner", I do that for a door weather seal sticking in the winter.
10Xk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-21-2013, 03:38 PM   #4
rubiconkid4x4
2007 WK 

I'm stationed in Lemoore, CA (central valley) and temps have been over 100 this summer, no issues with my doors (2007 LTD). You could try making little slits in the rubber to give it breathing holes?? i really have no idea
Unread 07-21-2013, 04:16 PM   #5
chrali
2006 XK Commander 

My doors stick to the rubbers really firmly now the UK is in a heatwave, so I siliconed then today and all better.
chrali is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-22-2013, 02:45 PM   #6
Zlartibartfast
2007 WK 

I took a good look at my door panels over the weekend - there is no point were they make contact with the door frame or an interior panel. There's at least 1/4" of gap all the way around. Whatever it is that is sticking for the OP I doubt it's the door panel itself. I'm thinking the problem lies behind the panel - something in the door lock mechanism, or an electrical relay
Zlartibartfast is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-30-2013, 12:34 AM   #7
HEMI35
2007 WK 

I own a 2007 wk (hemi, limited), and I live near the Atacama desert, and I never had have that problem. Not even on those sunny burning days, or very wet near the beach, etc.
BUT I used to have an old Suzuki Vitara that had that problem; it turned out to be the rubber outside the door (that black rubber between the door and the car, that seals it for water and wind). It was old, so I changed and never had that problem (both doors). Rubber gets all freak after some years, depending on conditions, climate, etc, not only on years old.
Have you checked that after you use the air conditioning and you get outside, the side parts of the doors are VERY hot? maybe that has something to do with your problem (I think the hot air is released that way?).
Anyways, option one: buy that cheap silicone cleaner for cars, that spray can for cleaning the console, and pt it on the rubber trim f the door, if it solves for a while, and then still has problems, change that rubber part.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.