JeepForum.com

JeepForum.com (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/)
-   WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f67/)
-   -   Water Pump and Dealer woes. (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f67/water-pump-dealer-woes-2337257/)

c0dfish 04-18-2014 02:49 PM

Water Pump and Dealer woes.
 
Hello, I'm trying to figure out if the dealer is trying to save face in this situation and not admitting fault. This is mostly for my own edification.


Went to dealer this morning to have spark plugs, oil change and inspection done. 5.7 is a 2009 and has 31,008 miles on it. Went to pick the jeep up later in the day and upon starting it there is a noticeable rattle coming from around the front of the engine that sped up with RPM. Had the tech look at it before even leaving the parking lot. They came up with a bearing on the waterpump pulley went bad. There was a slight spray of coolant mixed with the grease from the pump which according to them was another sign the whole waterpump will need to be replaced.

Now my argument about this whole thing is that A)the truck only has 31,000 miles on it and B)it was too coincidental that it happened today of all days while getting serviced when it was running fine prior.

Their argument is that A)they were working nowhere near the water pump so nothing they did could have effected it and B)it was probably on its way out already.

So I went back and fourth with the service manager for about an hour all the while being very dubious yet civil and level headed about the situation. Was quoted $504.00 for part + labor. Eventually after a bit of persistence i was able to get it down to $180.00 for the part and coolant. So the ultimate question is: was him lowering the price subliminally admitting that they probably did it? I did not argue further after this as I need my car and who knows how long this would go on for.

Sorry for the long post thanks for reading.

Pyroman_28 04-18-2014 05:17 PM

Well, you're jeep is awfully young to be having those kinds of problems, and the fact that it started the second you got it back seems odd as well. Add to that, that the service manager is throwing in free labor (seriously, at a dealer? unless it's warranty work, the customer pays), and my BS meter would be pegging the redline.

csb/ Tech's at a shop around here used to play a game to see which parts they could get off the car without the vehicle owner noticing (thankfully they got in BIG trouble) - yet another reason to never, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever let someone else touch your vehicle unless it's like Chip Foose or something :D

magneticred 04-18-2014 08:15 PM

The tech had no reason to be anywhere near the water pump. It is possible that the dealer replaced the pump free of labor costs to keep a valued customer happy. I would not view it as an admission of fault. I think any thoughtful person would understand why you would question the timing of the pump having problems given your circumstance.

90grandoneer 04-18-2014 08:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by magneticred (Post 22249065)
The tech had no reason to be anywhere near the water pump. It is possible that the dealer replaced the pump free of labor costs to keep a valued customer happy. I would not view it as an admission of fault. I think any thoughtful person would understand why you would question the timing of the pump having problems given your circumstance.

But, if was bad and showed evidence (sound and visual) of being bad, why didn't they see/hear it and tell him about when he went to pick it up??? Do they wear blinders and ear plugs when working on vehicles? This would be an obvious find that even Ray Charles could have seen and heard.

tjkj2002 04-18-2014 08:27 PM

I've seen parts fail while in the shop a lot.Had a rear axle C-clip fail pulling into the shop,vehicle came in for a oil change, and that was the worst.Mostly see bulbs burn out while on the alignment rack.

c0dfish 04-19-2014 05:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 90grandoneer (Post 22249409)
But, if was bad and showed evidence (sound and visual) of being bad, why didn't they see/hear it and tell him about when he went to pick it up??? Do they wear blinders and ear plugs when working on vehicles? This would be an obvious find that even Ray Charles could have seen and heard.

Certainly is a curious situation. The sound was quite loud, I was able to hear it in the cabin over the radio. I can't sit back and believe they didn't hear it when pulling the car out of the garage to park it. Its a big lot and I heard it driving 200 feet. The dealer is pretty well respected in the area and I have a relative who swears by them and he's very protective of his money.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pyroman_28 (Post 22245121)
Well, you're jeep is awfully young to be having those kinds of problems, and the fact that it started the second you got it back seems odd as well. Add to that, that the service manager is throwing in free labor (seriously, at a dealer? unless it's warranty work, the customer pays), and my BS meter would be pegging the redline.

They also threw in a loaner too, a Dodge Dart. Not a comfortable car to drive when you're used to being in an suv.

Out of curiosity, are the two pulleys in some kind of housing or are they just "open to the air"?

jebo0420 04-19-2014 11:50 AM

Tech was more than likely sitting in the engine compartment or leaning heavily on the pump, he may have incidentally pushed or pressed against the pulley 4 the pump to the point he caused the bearing to fail. It is unlikely but it could happen. I'd say it was more than likely bad timing. I've send radiations go bad with 45k on a 4.7 ram. Chrysler has had its fair share of problems with product quality. The fact they were trying to compromise with you was more of them trying to keep you happy as to admitting guilt.

c0dfish 04-19-2014 12:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jebo0420 (Post 22262233)
Tech was more than likely sitting in the engine compartment or leaning heavily on the pump, he may have incidentally pushed or pressed against the pulley 4 the pump to the point he caused the bearing to fail. It is unlikely but it could happen. I'd say it was more than likely bad timing. I've send radiations go bad with 45k on a 4.7 ram. Chrysler has had its fair share of problems with product quality. The fact they were trying to compromise with you was more of them trying to keep you happy as to admitting guilt.

I'm still skeptical but the compromise was good enough. I didn't have the willingness to fight it any further. I do miss my car though.


The time now is 09:08 PM.

Powered by vBulletin Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.