Water pump for '09 5.7L HEMI - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > Water pump for '09 5.7L HEMI

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineHalloween Savings to die for!We have Engo 10k Synthetic IN STOCK!!! Hurry while supplie

Unread 08-04-2013, 12:33 PM   #1
scootter82
2009 WK 

Water pump for '09 5.7L HEMI

So yesterday I was leaving a convention when I noticed my A/C wasn't really kicking in. Then I noticed a sweet smell coming through the vents, immediately I think radiator leak. Gauges all seem normal. I drive about a block and when I reach the stop light, I notice a very small amount of steam coming up from the hood. I pull over. When parked, I can see an ok amount of radiator fluid dripping out and pouring to the ground. I start the car up to see if I can spot the leak. I can't see the origin, but I do see the radiator fluid boiling in the reservoir and it is still leaking from somewhere. All the hoses look ok, from what I can see. What makes me think this is the water pump is that when the tow truck started to pull it up on the trailer, when it hit the incline and the nose was pointed down, I saw a slow drip of radiator fluid coming from the engine block side of things, around where I think the water pump is.

Can anyone confirm or deny my suspicions? The shop won't be looking at it till tomorrow, Monday. Also, any idea of how much this repair will run me? Is there a "heavy duty" or performance water pump I can get that might be better than stock?

Thanks!

Unread 08-04-2013, 06:18 PM   #2
10Xk
2010 XK Commander 

5.7l Hemi is used in HD Rams. You can see if its the same pump as Ram or see if it is interchangeable.

Water pump is $156

http://www.mopar.com/part/04792838AB...2499168&b=jeep
10Xk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-06-2013, 07:29 PM   #3
scootter82
2009 WK 

So it ended up being $533 for a new water pump, thermostat, fluid, and a 30 mile tow and they got it done the next day. Not bad, all in all. Especially since I'm 900 miles away from home at the moment!
Unread 08-09-2013, 02:01 AM   #4
kentman
2006 XK Commander 

That would certainly be about a $100 job at home, but the convenience factor on the road is worth the money. You do not want to overheat, ever.

An '09 with a water pump issue seems early to me. I have an '06 with 109K miles, and I am still on the original pump. How many miles were on your OEM pump?

I had an issue on the XK last year where the overflow tank went empty. I was 900 miles from home also. My issue was the 3-way splitter on the hotside for the heater hose sending hot coolant back to the third row seating HVAC controls. It sprung a leak and sprayed out. I spent about $30 at Napa on a new generic splitter and some HOAT coolant and fixed it with a pocket knife and a screw driver in the in-law's driveway. I had to drive 900 miles the next day. My patch is still solid a year later.

About 800 miles into that trip, I had a previous tire patch repair blow out. I got to put on the spare before getting home. You have got to love the full size spare. That was a Murphy's Law trip. All is well that ends well.
Unread 08-09-2013, 01:47 PM   #5
scootter82
2009 WK 

It has 81k miles on it. Was in Dallas when it happened. I don't know if the heat down here had anuthing to do with it, but I've been running the ac full blast the whole time. I've hardly used it back home in Denver.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.