water leak - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > water leak

WJ Shackle Tabs: Tow-Hook Replacements2014 Spartan Locker Special - While Supplies Last! Dana 3FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 08-01-2013, 04:47 PM   #1
bigpav7

water leak

2010 xk here with sunroof. Noticed today during rain that water is leaking out the passenger side grab handle, right out of the 2 rectangular screw holes with plastic caps. Any idea what this could be? I dont even use the sunroof for the channels to get plugged up. Also an observation, should there be sealant between the top of the windshield and the roof of the car? All I see is a big gaping hole. Appreciate any help, would hate to visit the dealer.

bigpav7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-01-2013, 04:58 PM   #2
TangoTango
2008 WK 

can you post a pic of the gaping hole?
TangoTango is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-01-2013, 06:34 PM   #3
bigpav7

here are the photos. probably hard to see the gap, but i can easily stuff things in there
gap.jpg

leak.jpg

Unread 08-01-2013, 07:17 PM   #4
BurmaJack
2008 WK 

Looks like your sunroof may be in need of re-calibration.

Try this:

-Place the ignition switch in RUN position.

-Close all of the doors.

-Press and release the vent switch (sunroof should move to vent position).

-Once the sunroof has stopped motion at the vent position, press and hold the vent switch for at least 5 seconds to recalibrate the sunroof position.

-If the sunroof did not reach the full vent open position, press and hold the vent switch until the full-vent-open position is reached then release the vent switch, then press and hold the vent switch for at least 5 seconds to recalibrate the sunroof position.

-Cycle the sunroof from the full-vent-open position to the full-slide-open position and back to the full-vent-open position at least 7 complete times. The sunroof is now in customer mode with the obstacle detection thresholds updated.

Good luck!

Blue WK Club Member #2
BurmaJack is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-01-2013, 09:26 PM   #5
bigpav7

Thanks Burma. Tried it just now and may have discovered the problem. After I opened the sunroof,I reached up and felt the rails for water. To my surprise, there was quite a bit of water pooled up in the front, up to half an inch in the passenger side and a bit less on the drivers side (the car is parked on a slant). Is that where the drains are? Seems like they may be plugged. How the heck do I clear them out?
Unread 08-02-2013, 07:26 AM   #6
XK1982
2006 XK Commander 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigpav7 View Post
2010 xk here with sunroof. Noticed today during rain that water is leaking out the passenger side grab handle, right out of the 2 rectangular screw holes with plastic caps. Any idea what this could be? I dont even use the sunroof for the channels to get plugged up. Also an observation, should there be sealant between the top of the windshield and the roof of the car? All I see is a big gaping hole. Appreciate any help, would hate to visit the dealer.
This is probably due to your weather stripping on the top of your drivers or passenger side front doors. Had the same issue with my 2006 and heard many complaints from others on this as well...there may even be a technical service bulletin out on it. What happens is water finds its way in through the weather stripping and usually trickles down to eventually form a puddle or wet spot on the front floor. In my case I could see water dropplets coming out of the front grab handles that parallel both sides of the windsheild. You need get some 3M Brand clear windshield sealer, pull back the weatherstripping around the top front of the doors and just lay a bead of the sealant. Let it dry reinstall weather stripping and you should be good to go. Mines been dry ever since.

Here's the stuff I used. Make sure to run it along the upper sides of the windshield as well around the plastic weather stripping. Won't hurt anything, use liberally.

Unread 08-02-2013, 09:04 AM   #7
bigpav7

interesting, i did notice my weatherstripping on top and front of the door where the leak came from had pulled down. I just didnt see how the water from there could make its way to the grabhandles. I guess I'll silicone the area and see if it helps. Thanks for your help
Unread 08-02-2013, 11:34 AM   #8
XK1982
2006 XK Commander 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigpav7 View Post
interesting, i did notice my weatherstripping on top and front of the door where the leak came from had pulled down. I just didnt see how the water from there could make its way to the grabhandles. I guess I'll silicone the area and see if it helps. Thanks for your help
Also there is a stiff plastic weather stripping that runs down the sides of the windshield and is fastened with star bolts. I also removed that, gooped it up and put a dab on each of the threads of the bolts and reassembled. When I was doing this, I couldn't see any obvious place water was getting in, so I just started laying a good bead of the silicone in those areas and it's been good for years now. Also you could peel forward the thin piece of weather stripping that runs at the top of the windshield as well and just run a thin bead down that too.

Hope it helps!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.