Warn Zeon Winches & Recessed Bumpers - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > Warn Zeon Winches & Recessed Bumpers

Building a Bumper?Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~

Unread 01-13-2014, 03:32 PM   #1
ttusqrl
WK Supporter
2005 WK 

Warn Zeon Winches & Recessed Bumpers

I figured I would start a thread for future reference in the WK section in case anyone runs into a similar situation I did.

I ended up putting a S4XC bumper on my WK, which obviously prompted me to buy a winch. I did a lot of research and decided on the Warn Zeon (specifically the 10s). Now, I knew that these were huge compared to other winches, but I don't think I full appreciated the size.

I test fit the winch to the bumper and the winch is roughly 1/4" too large for the recess. The end effect is that there is approximately a 3/8" gap between the winch feet and the winch plate. I did quite a bit of research on the topic and it looks like all of the JK guys are running into the same issue with their bumpers. There are a few options to cure this problem:

1.) Shave down the bumper (not recommended)
2.) Shave down the winch housing (I didn't want to do this)
3.) Put spacers in between the plate and the winch

I ended up going with option 3. This was first created by Poison Spider for their bumpers, and apparently all they needed was a 1/4" spacer to do the trick. For my instance, I needed 1/2" to be comfortable. I found billet aluminum spacers from ACE and they are currently in the mail to me. One thing to note, you will also need longer hardware since the bolts are specifically sized and we are adding spacer depth to those. I'm sure it goes without saying, but make sure you get grade 8 hardware.

I'll take pictures and post on here once I finish the install. This is also necessary if you go with a powerplant or large winch other than the Zeon.

One other small issue for those who end up with a S4XC or Aspen Creek bumper in their possession -- FOLLOW THE INSTRUCTIONS WHEN IT SAYS TO MOUNT YOUR WINCH. I ignored these since I didn't have everything ready for mine. I ended up mounting the bumper and now I have no clue how I am going to put the winch on short of taking the bumper back off (which I really don't want to do).

More info to come.

2005 WK Limited 5.7 ORT | OME HD | Saguaro Front Winch Bumper| Warn Zeon 10s | 17" Moabs w custom powder coat | 265/70/17 BFG TA KO | 1.5" Spidertrax | AIRAID CAI | Gibson 3" Exhaust | DiabloSport Intune | XD 5000K HIDs | JL Stealthbox w A1300 Amp | Valentine 1

WANTED (PM if Selling): Gobi Roof Rack, 4XG Armor, MyGig RHR & Lockpick, Catch Can, Rear Diff Cover, Weathertechs / Quadratec Mats
ttusqrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-14-2014, 05:53 PM   #2
TangoTango
2008 WK 

and... when you need to replace the winch motor bushings then you will again need to R&R the bumper.
TangoTango is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-03-2014, 06:28 AM   #3
ttusqrl
WK Supporter
2005 WK 

Alright, so a quick update to this topic with some lessons learned. I've installed the Zeon with the ACE spacers which required 45 mm bolts to adjust for the added length. The fit is perfect with these for the Saguaro (S4XC) and Aspen Creek bumpers, but you might be able to swing a smaller spacer if you have a different bumper with a shorter recess.

The longer bolts created a different issue though -- they wouldn't fit through the winch plate holes straight up and down. I ended up putting two access points in the bumper with a plasma cutter and repaired the open surface with some satin black + primer in a rattle can. These hide perfectly behind the license plate so they are not an eye sore.

I'll include pics in the next post from my phone for reference. I would say that there is no way you would want this winch for hidden winch applications because it flat out won't fit. This was a longer than expected journey for me, but hopefully this helps someone else if they wind up going down this path.
2005 WK Limited 5.7 ORT | OME HD | Saguaro Front Winch Bumper| Warn Zeon 10s | 17" Moabs w custom powder coat | 265/70/17 BFG TA KO | 1.5" Spidertrax | AIRAID CAI | Gibson 3" Exhaust | DiabloSport Intune | XD 5000K HIDs | JL Stealthbox w A1300 Amp | Valentine 1

WANTED (PM if Selling): Gobi Roof Rack, 4XG Armor, MyGig RHR & Lockpick, Catch Can, Rear Diff Cover, Weathertechs / Quadratec Mats
Unread 02-03-2014, 06:30 AM   #4
ttusqrl
WK Supporter
2005 WK 

Sent from my iPhone using JeepForum
image-3482362354.jpg

image-4216869652.jpg

image-2395060836.jpg

Unread 02-03-2014, 07:24 PM   #5
Valpacer

2007 WK 

Those cutouts are interesting, my Saguaro bumper has the area behind the plate already removed, and bolting the winch down was no issue on the Jeep. Have changed winches twice without removing the bumper.

And yes those winches are massive!
2007 WH Grand Cherokee CRD (Yup, RHD Australia)- 3" Exhaust, GDE Flash Tune, CRDSTU/SL Hybrid Lift & bash Plates, 4xGuard Rock Rails, Saguaro F & R Bars, RCV's, Warn 9.5cti-s, AEV Saverge Rims, Nitto Mud Grapplers, Snorkel, Custom Rear Drawers, On Board Air, BullyDog Monitor, Dual Batteries - Build Thread - YouTube Vids
Valpacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-03-2014, 08:44 PM   #6
ttusqrl
WK Supporter
2005 WK 

Mind snapping some pics Valpacer? Id be interested in seeing your setup.

Unread 02-03-2014, 10:40 PM   #7
Valpacer

2007 WK 

You can see the cutouts in this one, i have a camera mounted in the cutout as well.
2007 WH Grand Cherokee CRD (Yup, RHD Australia)- 3" Exhaust, GDE Flash Tune, CRDSTU/SL Hybrid Lift & bash Plates, 4xGuard Rock Rails, Saguaro F & R Bars, RCV's, Warn 9.5cti-s, AEV Saverge Rims, Nitto Mud Grapplers, Snorkel, Custom Rear Drawers, On Board Air, BullyDog Monitor, Dual Batteries - Build Thread - YouTube Vids
Unread 02-03-2014, 10:50 PM   #8
ttusqrl
WK Supporter
2005 WK 

Interesting! Mine definitely did not have them as you can tell from the pic. Wonder if mine was an earlier generation.

Thanks for the pic Val

Unread 02-03-2014, 11:02 PM   #9
sickchilly
2010 WK 

ttusqrl - you have an earlier generation, maybe even an early prototype or first run. When I was discussing winch selection with Ken, he specifically recommended the Zeon and said it can be installed after the bumper is mounted. He said the only winches that (probably) wouldn't fit are the older 827x upright series and the Powerplant.
Unread 02-03-2014, 11:27 PM   #10
Valpacer

2007 WK 

Im pretty sure mine and the first lot sent to Australia were setup for Aussie size plates and the cutouts were asked for by Stu when he ordered them, memories coming back slowly! lol
Unread 02-03-2014, 11:29 PM   #11
Valpacer

2007 WK 

I cant run my plate in the spot it is supposed to anyway, our police dont like then angle it on, apparently it cant be picked up by the speed cameras......:-)

So i just ziptie it through the fairlead and pull it off for wheeling
Unread 02-04-2014, 05:48 AM   #12
ttusqrl
WK Supporter
2005 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sickchilly
ttusqrl - you have an earlier generation, maybe even an early prototype or first run. When I was discussing winch selection with Ken, he specifically recommended the Zeon and said it can be installed after the bumper is mounted. He said the only winches that (probably) wouldn't fit are the older 827x upright series and the Powerplant.
Can you measure your recession width and depth wise when you get a chance?

Unread 02-04-2014, 08:20 PM   #13
ducktail
2009 WK 

What bumper is that?
Unread 02-04-2014, 09:28 PM   #14
sickchilly
2010 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttusqrl
Can you measure your recession width and depth wise when you get a chance? Sent from my iPhone using JeepForum
Mine measures 25"L x 8.5"W x 2.375"D. That's just the flat tray part. There is an additional 2.5" on either side, but that's where the front starts curving in and the bottom angles up slightly.

It has a ton of mounting holes and plenty of access to mount the winch with the bumper on.

image-2531620428.jpg
Unread 02-05-2014, 09:04 AM   #15
ttusqrl
WK Supporter
2005 WK 

Yep, your AC one is definitely different than my S4XC. I have 4 mounting holes and a much smaller tray.

Good to know -- thanks for the pic!

When does yours get put on?

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.