Wanting to Upgrade the New Grand Cherokee - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 21 Old 03-16-2017, 10:57 AM Thread Starter
hockeyref18

Wanting to Upgrade the New Grand Cherokee

Hello all,

I am now the proud owner of a 2006 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited. This Jeep has the 5.7 liter Hemi engine and is an absolute beauty. I want to do a few upgrades to it but I'm not sure how to go about it. I would for sure like to put in a better set of speakers to replace the factory ones. I also would like to get some better headlights, fog lights, and brake lights. If there are any more cheap upgrades you guys think I could do to make the beast look a little better please let me know. Any and all help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks!!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 Old 03-16-2017, 12:43 PM
keggles

2008 WK 

Well depends, are you wanting just appearance or performance as well?

Plugs
Coil Packs
Intake
Exhaust
Transmission booster
Tuner

Above is a good starter for the performance.

Grill insert
Tow hooks
Wheels
Tires

Also, if you are going for an offroading look or a street look on some things you may or may not do. Also, I have a set of LED taillights for an 06WK I took off my old one before I got my 08WK that are for sale. As well as a NAV deck for an 06WK to put a double din radio in. As for the interior sound, it all depends on what you are going for, right now you should have the doors and no dash speakers hooked up. I swapped mine around for sound quality and put modified Infinity Kappa 3.5's in the dash and 6 Morels in my front doors with a 5 channel amp mounted in the spare cubby in the trunk with a 12 Solo Baric and a Pinoeer 3400BH to run it all. I am working on customizing the 08WK inside and out as we speak.

I'm a nut, but not just a nut.
08 WK 5.7 Hemi 4x4
06 WK 4.7 - RIP
Silver WK Club #63
post #3 of 21 Old 03-17-2017, 09:47 AM Thread Starter
hockeyref18

Quote:
Originally Posted by keggles View Post
Well depends, are you wanting just appearance or performance as well?

Plugs

Coil Packs

Intake

Exhaust

Transmission booster

Tuner

Above is a good starter for the performance.

Grill insert

Tow hooks

Wheels

Tires

Also, if you are going for an offroading look or a street look on some things you may or may not do. Also, I have a set of LED taillights for an 06WK I took off my old one before I got my 08WK that are for sale. As well as a NAV deck for an 06WK to put a double din radio in. As for the interior sound, it all depends on what you are going for, right now you should have the doors and no dash speakers hooked up. I swapped mine around for sound quality and put modified Infinity Kappa 3.5's in the dash and 6 Morels in my front doors with a 5 channel amp mounted in the spare cubby in the trunk with a 12 Solo Baric and a Pinoeer 3400BH to run it all. I am working on customizing the 08WK inside and out as we speak.

Thanks for the great suggestions. I currently would like to take out the factory radio and put in something I can use my Bluetooth with. Do you know what company makes a radio that would fit flush in the original compartment. Also, is there any way I could upgrade my sound without adding an amp? I like the infinity speakers but I don't want to have to buy an extra amp for the car.

post #4 of 21 Old 03-17-2017, 10:14 AM
keggles

2008 WK 

Of course, just depends on how custom you want to go. The jeep has a built in amp that works fine. Depending on your radio area you either have

or

Obviously the limitations of the top photo are the specific spaces. If you have the top you can pop it off with some trim tools and buy the NAV deck in the second photo. They usually go for about $175 or more. Depending on your interior color I have one I do not need. Your stock speaker sizes are:

Dash -- 3.5"
Front -- 6x9"
Rear -- 6.5"

Typically the dash speakers are not installed. If you get the NAV dash bezel piece your choices multiply. Also you will need to do some wiring if you have or wish to keep the stock steering wheel controls and other features. Without knowing and seeing the vehicle I am trying not to focus on one Jeep build.

I was running a Pioneer AVH3400BH which had built in HD and Bluetooth, never had any problems. Depending on the unit you will need the wiring harness, steering wheel control retention harness, a dash kit, and an antenna adapter cable. Crutchfield is good to get a reference for the things you may need or want, but not to buy from they are usually REALLY high priced.

I had the Metra Axxess kit in my 06WK and when I get going on the 08WK I am going with the Maestro RR kit to retain everything like backup cams, steering, bluetooth, and rear seat entertainment system. Also, for some of the newer units they are actually a DVD player which may or may not apply depending on your choice of unit, but as a safety precaution they will not allow a DVD to play when the car is not in park. To bypass they make a simple bypass switch like below.

Branding and quality is going to be a personal preference, also, your budget. This sort of upgrade is personal and can be easy and cheap to over the top, all on where you wish to go.

Whats your interior color combo?

08 WK 5.7 Hemi 4x4
06 WK 4.7 - RIP
Silver WK Club #63
post #5 of 21 Old 03-17-2017, 10:22 AM
PilotActor
2016 JK Wrangler 

Great stuff! - CR just added another Jeep to the KuhlToys family, well sort of, he bought his wife a Grand Limited, already lights need to go and I like the stereo idea. That nice quiet interior needs better sound.
post #6 of 21 Old 03-17-2017, 10:30 AM Thread Starter
hockeyref18

Quote:
Of course, just depends on how custom you want to go. The jeep has a built in amp that works fine. Depending on your radio area you either have

Obviously the limitations of the top photo are the specific spaces. If you have the top you can pop it off with some trim tools and buy the NAV deck in the second photo. They usually go for about $175 or more. Depending on your interior color I have one I do not need. Your stock speaker sizes are:

Dash -- 3.5"

Front -- 6x9"

Rear -- 6.5"

Typically the dash speakers are not installed. If you get the NAV dash bezel piece your choices multiply. Also you will need to do some wiring if you have or wish to keep the stock steering wheel controls and other features. Without knowing and seeing the vehicle I am trying not to focus on one Jeep build.

I was running a Pioneer AVH3400BH which had built in HD and Bluetooth, never had any problems. Depending on the unit you will need the wiring harness, steering wheel control retention harness, a dash kit, and an antenna adapter cable. Crutchfield is good to get a reference for the things you may need or want, but not to buy from they are usually REALLY high priced.

I had the Metra Axxess kit in my 06WK and when I get going on the 08WK I am going with the Maestro RR kit to retain everything like backup cams, steering, bluetooth, and rear seat entertainment system. Also, for some of the newer units they are actually a DVD player which may or may not apply depending on your choice of unit, but as a safety precaution they will not allow a DVD to play when the car is not in park. To bypass they make a simple bypass switch like below.

Branding and quality is going to be a personal preference, also, your budget. This sort of upgrade is personal and can be easy and cheap to over the top, all on where you wish to go.

Whats your interior color combo?

My interior color combo is the tan color combo. I have the top photo for my radio system. I am looking to not go into a big screen on my dash. The radio and sound controls are really gonna be a pain for me to find something to fit perfect in there. I really want to put some new door speakers in and some dash speakers possibly. If you have any suggestions on products, it would be greatly appreciated. Sorry, I had to delete the pictures in your previous post because I am such a noob lol
post #7 of 21 Old 03-17-2017, 11:08 AM
keggles

2008 WK 

No problem at all. I typically stick with Pioneer, Kenwood, Alpine, and a JVC wasn't bad. Alpine will be on the higher priced side typically. Kenwood/Pioneer will be your middle ground. You should expect to spend somewhere in the ballpark of $150 or maybe more for the unit.

Here is a link for the single din dash kit you would need

https://www.amazon.com/Metra-99-6507...e+din+dash+kit

Kenwood "Excelon" is their product line of higher end units. A single DIN with DVD would be hard to come by if possible. Also to consider is whether you want just Bluetooth streaming or if you want Car Play Apple/Android. Also, some of the receivers are going away from CD/DVD media and simply just digital IE Bluetooth/Car Play/Apps so be aware of things when you look.

Speakers... hrmm

I ran Polk and Kicker in my S10, Pioneer in my Grand AM, and as I mentioned Infinity and Morel in my last Jeep, but that was custom wiring and I deleted my rear doors to run dash 3.5" with front door 6". The Infinity Kappa line is pretty solid the REF line will be the higher end for them. I would say figure out a budget, hop on Crutchfield and take a look. I would look at Amazon or trusted stores near you for better pricing once you have figured out what it is you want.

08 WK 5.7 Hemi 4x4
06 WK 4.7 - RIP
Silver WK Club #63
post #8 of 21 Old 03-17-2017, 11:21 AM Thread Starter
hockeyref18

Quote:
No problem at all. I typically stick with Pioneer, Kenwood, Alpine, and a JVC wasn't bad. Alpine will be on the higher priced side typically. Kenwood/Pioneer will be your middle ground. You should expect to spend somewhere in the ballpark of $150 or maybe more for the unit.

Here is a link for the single din dash kit you would need

Kenwood "Excelon" is their product line of higher end units. A single DIN with DVD would be hard to come by if possible. Also to consider is whether you want just Bluetooth streaming or if you want Car Play Apple/Android. Also, some of the receivers are going away from CD/DVD media and simply just digital IE Bluetooth/Car Play/Apps so be aware of things when you look.

Speakers... hrmm

I ran Polk and Kicker in my S10, Pioneer in my Grand AM, and as I mentioned Infinity and Morel in my last Jeep, but that was custom wiring and I deleted my rear doors to run dash 3.5" with front door 6". The Infinity Kappa line is pretty solid the REF line will be the higher end for them. I would say figure out a budget, hop on Crutchfield and take a look. I would look at Amazon or trusted stores near you for better pricing once you have figured out what it is you want.

Will any radios that I put into my jeep look weird because of the rectangular shape compared to what the factory radio looks like?
post #9 of 21 Old 03-18-2017, 09:41 AM
keggles

2008 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyref18 View Post

Will any radios that I put into my jeep look weird because of the rectangular shape compared to what the factory radio looks like?
Not really, after a little while I'm sure you won't notice. You could also try to paint the mounting kit so they match the dash bezel color scheme, but I personally would leave it be or move up to the NAV look.

08 WK 5.7 Hemi 4x4
06 WK 4.7 - RIP
Silver WK Club #63
post #10 of 21 Old 03-19-2017, 03:59 PM Thread Starter
hockeyref18

Quote:
Not really, after a little while I'm sure you won't notice. You could also try to paint the mounting kit so they match the dash bezel color scheme, but I personally would leave it be or move up to the NAV look.

I think I'm gonna go with the single DIN Bluetooth radio. As for performance, what would you recommend. I'm looking at air intakes but would like to go a little further. Is there anything you would recommend?
post #11 of 21 Old 03-19-2017, 06:52 PM
keggles

2008 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyref18 View Post

I think I'm gonna go with the single DIN Bluetooth radio. As for performance, what would you recommend. I'm looking at air intakes but would like to go a little further. Is there anything you would recommend?
Superchips F5 Tuner

Sonnax Tranny Booster

CAI -- Volant has been pretty popular for offroading rigs but some may argue on seeing a difference with some unless you go big.

Cat Back exhaust have to be careful with it if the 2006 Hemi has MDS. Gibson has been able to get around this apparently.

KolaK is a guy on here who can get you this stuff, good to work with. I got the Sonnax Booster for like $35 on ebay or amazon and was a simple install. The shifting is pretty damn smooth now.

Another thing to consider is what's your end game for the WK, are you wanting a street rig or offroader?

08 WK 5.7 Hemi 4x4
06 WK 4.7 - RIP
Silver WK Club #63
post #12 of 21 Old 03-19-2017, 09:13 PM Thread Starter
hockeyref18

Quote:
Superchips F5 Tuner

Sonnax Tranny Booster

CAI -- Volant has been pretty popular for offroading rigs but some may argue on seeing a difference with some unless you go big.

Cat Back exhaust have to be careful with it if the 2006 Hemi has MDS. Gibson has been able to get around this apparently.

KolaK is a guy on here who can get you this stuff, good to work with. I got the Sonnax Booster for like $35 on ebay or amazon and was a simple install. The shifting is pretty damn smooth now.

Another thing to consider is what's your end game for the WK, are you wanting a street rig or offroader?

Definitely looking at a street rig at this point.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #13 of 21 Old 03-20-2017, 08:02 AM
keggles

2008 WK 

If you are going for that then some of the below stuff isn't the right fit. The 5.7 is close to the SRT and parts apply as far as performance goes. As always, budget is your enemy.

Superchips Tuner
Sonnax Tranny Line Booster
Exhaust
CAI

Those are your basic, you can get really involved in trying to fix it up. Some search high and low for SRT headers which are less restrictive to put on, but require some work to get them in. MSD coil packs some say are expensive for the benefit, but may allow for a more efficient plug.

08 WK 5.7 Hemi 4x4
06 WK 4.7 - RIP
Silver WK Club #63
post #14 of 21 Old 03-20-2017, 08:08 AM
GeJayGe

They are gorgeous cars
post #15 of 21 Old 03-20-2017, 08:09 AM
GeJayGe

They ate gorgeous cats

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.