JeepForum.com

JeepForum.com (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/)
-   WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f67/)
-   -   Wanting to upgrade from 92XJ to 07WK (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f67/wanting-upgrade-92xj-07wk-1548022/)

Goldenknob 07-12-2013 09:26 AM

Wanting to upgrade from 92XJ to 07WK

I drive a 92 XJ 2wd for my daily driver. I'm wanting to upgrade to a 2007 WK 2wd. This one at cars.com I've went and drove it, looked under it and poked around all over. the underside is dry all the way down except where the oil filter is. I'm guessing it's because oil dripping out when the filter is changed? It shifts well, if not maybe a little slow when upshifting to passing gear, but feels solid and not sluggish. Although I'm comparing to my 92 XJ with a different upshift feel. The A/C is nice and cold, but it felt like when adjusting the blower speed from high to medium high there was a drastic drop in blown air speed. is that normal? Could the medium high setting have failed and reverted to just medium speed? Also there is only one key. So I'll need to find another and have read here that it could be expensive or complicated.

He showed me the carfax, says one owner no accidents. 90k miles 4.7L Laredo. They are selling it for $9871 with a 4 year unlimited mileage warranty for an additional $1800.

Any thoughts? or anything else I should look into?

Thanks for reading lol

audiophonicz 07-12-2013 08:22 PM

That interior sure does look black... wonder what else is off with that not so descriptive description. If you could get them down another grand it wouldn't be a bad deal, (especially considering what you're driving now) but if I was you id hold out for a Limited with a Hemi and QDII. Worlds of difference.

Just my 2 cents.

HEMI35 07-30-2013 01:16 AM

oil problems already? look else were man...
for 11671, I would check a limited version, like this one:
http://www.cars.com/go/search/detail...nal&listType=1

it is a 4x4 5.7 HEMI, limited version. at least drive it and check the difference between a 4.7 and a 5.7 hemi.
or check other around the zip code of that dealer you are looking.
The full search I did is here:
http://www.cars.com/for-sale/searchr...=GN_REFINEMENT

Goldenknob 07-30-2013 11:28 PM

it doesn't have oil problems, it's just from a bad removal of the filter that spilled oil on the frame below the filter i believe. To bad I can't just find a Laredo with the dual climate zones. that's really the only bonus I want from a limited I think.

Goldenknob 07-30-2013 11:31 PM

Also curious, would it be better to get one with the factory tow hitch? or get one without and install it later? Is either more secure than the other?

Zlartibartfast 07-31-2013 08:17 AM

get the factory class IV tow group; I believe it will include a transmission cooler

Jeepforthewin 07-31-2013 08:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zlartibartfast (Post 15738920)
get the factory class IV tow group; I believe it will include a transmission cooler

X2! :2thumbsup:

Goldenknob 07-31-2013 03:08 PM

yea that's right! almost forgot. man that narrows my choices.

now the question would be a
2008 4.7 laredo with flex fuel
or a 2007 4.7 laredo
or a 2006 5.7 hemi limited

the choices I can get within my price range of 10k or less.

yzjwk 07-31-2013 04:15 PM

All things equal in mileage and options , then IMO i would throw out the
07 / 4.7 and the decision is now between the 06 ltd and the 08 laredo .I would probably lean towards the 2008 w/ 4.7 .
why ?
- not much difference in power and probably 2-4 mpg better
- newer body style and better/easier resale if needed
- in 08 the laredo could be optioned out as good or better then the 06 ltd
some features in 08 that can't be had on the 06 .
The only question - any of them 4x4's ? or does that even matter to you .

HEMI35 07-31-2013 11:31 PM

not much difference? of course not... if you just compare engines: 4.7 is powertech, 5.7 its HEMI. both cars weight the same, with permanent all wheel drive (more stress for the engine) try to move the same with those engines and you will see the difference.
Before I bought my jeep, dealer let my try both, and the HEMI is WAY more powerful.

yzjwk 08-01-2013 09:47 AM

I would agree if we were comparing the 07 4.7 which is why I suggested to throw that one out . but reality is in 08 the 4.7 power moved to 305 hp and 334 lbft compared to the 06 hemi's 330 hp and 375 lbft . And it does it at a lower rpm , which is why it get's a little beter city milage then the hemi .
I love my hemi too and The hemi may win at the drags , but its not WAY more powerful for the average driver and the 4.7 is a seriously proven/reliable engine .

HEMI35 08-01-2013 06:44 PM

oh, ok I see your point, I tried a 4.7 from 2007 when I bought it, but I was giving my opinion more based on how I tried a 2009 4.7 wk, in a short trip to the beach: on the highway, it did not have that "power?" of my hemi, and of roading, it was just not as comfortable, the engine is very slow on getting the rpms, and the transmission was taking forever to change to a lower rev, it had a nice interior trim, though (well, sort of). Insurance gave me that car to use when mine was at the dealer. The Hemi is way more responsive, and the manumatic is extremely helpful on and offroad.
BUT, that is just my opinion, one thing is what it says on paper, and the other is to try the real thing. Maybe if you try it, you will think the opposite, who knows.

The time now is 10:05 PM.