W5A580 leaking, not sure where though... - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > W5A580 leaking, not sure where though...

15 x 8 Black D-Window Steel Wheels Set of 4Advance Adapters SYE KitsRIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all

Unread 09-01-2012, 03:56 AM   #1
talkboxier
2006 WK 

W5A580 leaking, not sure where though...

So I have a 2006 grand cherokee laredo with a w5a580 tranny, and it has a really bad leak which seems to be coming from the front passenger side of the oil pan... I read some forums saying that it could be the connector bushing, so I decided to do a little test.

I wiped everything down clean, took off the metal guard that was protecting it, and then wrapped a white cloth around it. I then drove it for a bit to check where the leak was coming from. Crawled under the car to check, and the cloth was dry. But the pan was dripping.

Is there any other places I should be checking for common leaks?

Thanks

talkboxier is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-01-2012, 11:43 AM   #2
Piepenbrok420
2013 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by talkboxier
So I have a 2006 grand cherokee laredo with a w5a580 tranny, and it has a really bad leak which seems to be coming from the front passenger side of the oil pan... I read some forums saying that it could be the connector bushing, so I decided to do a little test.

I wiped everything down clean, took off the metal guard that was protecting it, and then wrapped a white cloth around it. I then drove it for a bit to check where the leak was coming from. Crawled under the car to check, and the cloth was dry. But the pan was dripping.

Is there any other places I should be checking for common leaks?

Thanks
Yea, check the pan gasket
Unread 09-01-2012, 01:00 PM   #3
talkboxier
2006 WK 

I checked it, and actually replaced the gasket and the filter not to long ago. I thought that was the issue at first...
Unread 09-02-2012, 06:10 PM   #4
Piepenbrok420
2013 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by talkboxier
I checked it, and actually replaced the gasket and the filter not to long ago. I thought that was the issue at first...
Put some UV leak detection dye from any local parts store in the trans. Clean the undercarriage, drive it a day, then take any UV light under there and you'll see where its coming from.
Unread 09-02-2012, 07:09 PM   #5
84foxgt
2007 WK 

check the harness that goes into the trans on the pass side. there is a small metal shield that covers it. once removed you will see the harness. it uses a plug "adapter" that has orings on it. they were redesigned because of this problem. it costs $7-$10 at the dealer. very common problem.
2007 v6: Rough Country kit, Aries taillight gaurds, 2457517 Wrangler Silent Armors, LED interior lights, painted oe wheels Gunmetal, Topline 1.5" wheel spacers,SOLID rear diff cover,CREE backup lights,Hypertech Programmer
84foxgt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-03-2012, 02:30 AM   #6
talkboxier
2006 WK 

@84foxgt
I am ordered the the bushing with the new o-rings already, but I live in hawaii. I don't think I can wait much longer for it so I am gonna head to my nearest dealership and see if they have any.

@Piepenbrok420
that sounds like an awesome idea!!!

thanks guys, gonna try those and and post my results.

Tags
fluid , leak , transmission

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.