Volkswagenguy's WK Build (very slow) - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > Volkswagenguy's WK Build (very slow)

Jeep Wrangler Bushwacker Flat Fender Flare Sale at BaselinGear Installs at CCOR SpecialSavvy FOX IFP 4" Lift Shocks in Stock

Unread 04-02-2014, 08:37 PM   #1
Volkswagenguy

We Start off with a 2006 Grand Cherokee(WK). I purchased it back in Jan 2010 the same day I brought my wife home from the hospital with our first son. at the time we lived about ~50 miles from my family and ~100 miles from hers. We also have a 70lb dog who traveled with us so the WK was a fantastic starting platform to meet our needs at the time. I'm not a very good story teller so we will just segway into the meat of the thread.

First off some specs, short list of things I've added, future mods/add ons.

When Purchased(completely stock):
2006 Grand Cherokee Limited
~80,000 miles
Hemi
Nav
Rear seat entertainment

No
Current list of Additions:
Thule Atlantis 2100XT
Thule fork mount bike tray(x2)
Thule frame mount bike tray(x1)
Thule 65" cross bars
Thule universal oe rail foot pack
False rear floor storage
Removed air dam

Future list of Additions:
Thule 72" cross bars
RC BB (in box in basement)
OME HD Lift(to replace bb)
Rims(TBD)
bigger tires(TBD)
Tablet Navigation
Front/Rear Bumper solutions
Skids
Rock rails

I'm also quite sure i'll be adding to future addition list as time goes on. I will try my best to keep the lists updated on the first post here.

On to some low quality pictures you've all been waiting for:

I've been working on the idea and execution of this for over a year. I first came across the idea from Scootr29 last jan/feb. I went ahead and installed google sketchup on my laptop and bought a cable to connect it to my tv. I had alot of free time in the middle of the night coming up. We had just had our 3rd son and some sleepless nights were sure to be headed my way. I don't have any of the prelim sketches handy. Here are some in progress pictures of the false floor.

So you take out 2 small nuts and are left with this

You then Set about locating scrap wood from work and get permission to take some. Generally you end up with some pretty nice pieces of precut 2x4 and 3/4 ply. They end up looking like this by the end of the night at work and you bring them home and test fit them like so,

You continue to test fit and add some corner straps,

Add some loose partitions that will get secured and finalized later, along with alot of stuff,

Add a Top,

To be continued...

Volkswagenguy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-02-2014, 08:40 PM   #2
fang_x
1998 TJ Wrangler 

awesome, i just picked myself up a volkwagen and am workin on it. towed it home with the jeep. Keep up the good work the Wk's are very competnt vehicles. not as good as german made but ya know
fang_x is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-02-2014, 08:43 PM   #3
Volkswagenguy

Im currently between vws right now. Later this year hopefully my wife will get a replacement car to either be a passat or jetta tdi

Im also over on expedition portal and spend more time there than here. I will try update both threads as work is slow and progress happens.
Unread 04-02-2014, 10:14 PM   #4
darthsidious
2006 WK 

So i just realized when I pulled up Jeepforum on my laptop a have 2 user accounts. I would say I can either delete this thread and repost under my normal account or just try to remember to update from my phone where i'm signed in on the new account.
2006 WK Limited 5.7 Hemi )( Hemi club member #44, '95 Geo Prizm(daily)
darthsidious is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-08-2014, 09:55 AM   #5
darthsidious
2006 WK 

so this is an update slash question about rims and tires lift no lift fitment idea.

I really like the look of the AEV Savegre Wheels, pretty sure that's what I will end up with. I've been looking for a solution to not trim the UCA bolt and not necessarily do the pinch weld mod right off the bat. Has anyone added 1.5" spacer to stock to create more clearance for the UCA bolt? What is the tire size threshold where it is absolutely necessary to do the pinch weld mod? How much is that threshold dependent on lift size and spacers/rim offset? If these questions have been answered or close to I have not found them yet, and yes I am searching. Just typing thoughts as I'm thinking of them so they don't get lost. Here is a picture to illustrate stock tire size on OE rim vs AEV Savegre.
savegre-oe-comp.jpg  
Unread 04-08-2014, 07:22 PM   #6
DRCracker
2006 WK 

If you look at the specs in my info below you will see my tire/rim/spacer info. I have NOT needed to do the pinch-weld mod and have NO scraping issues of the bolt or liner with the lift/tires/rims/spacer used.

Initially I had some rubbing on the liner, but that disappeared after a good alignment on a laser system at a local body shop.

Hope this helps,

P.S.- That's a nice little hidey-hole project you have with the trunk mod. I'd love to see more photo's as you progress.

TC
Dark Khaki 2011 #9104 Wheels, Firestone Destination A/T 265/70/17's.
OME HD lift. Dark Khaki Matrix Brush Guard, Dark Khaki Painted Headlight Bezels.
Hemi Club #65 // Khaki WK Club #40
DRCracker is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-08-2014, 07:56 PM   #7
CamelMikeWK
2005 WK 

i like where you are going with the false floor idea because i want to do something similar and put some roller drawers in there somewhere for tools/ recovery gear. looks good so far. my only question is why would you do both the BB AND the OME lift. and not go straight for the OME? Just my .02
CamelMikeWK is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-08-2014, 10:31 PM   #8
Volkswagenguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRCracker View Post
If you look at the specs in my info below you will see my tire/rim/spacer info. I have NOT needed to do the pinch-weld mod and have NO scraping issues of the bolt or liner with the lift/tires/rims/spacer used.

Initially I had some rubbing on the liner, but that disappeared after a good alignment on a laser system at a local body shop.

Hope this helps,

P.S.- That's a nice little hidey-hole project you have with the trunk mod. I'd love to see more photo's as you progress.

TC

That's a point in the right direction for me on the lift/tire equation. I do know there are alot of variables when it comes to what fits.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamelMikeWK View Post
i like where you are going with the false floor idea because i want to do something similar and put some roller drawers in there somewhere for tools/ recovery gear. looks good so far. my only question is why would you do both the BB AND the OME lift. and not go straight for the OME? Just my .02
Well right now i have a bb in my basement, has been sitting in the box since i bought it back in 2010 shortly after purchase of the jeep. I had planned on putting it in when my son got to about his age now, 4, or when I needed to purchase new tires, last summer. Since then I have had to change plans as we had son number 2 and 3 in the time I wanted to lift it and go bigger with tires. 3cesareans later and having a 4, 2, and 1 year old it can be and has been difficult for my wife to load the kids. Long story short the bb will go in first, get the tire size stuff figured out and later on install OME HD to replace the bb. Not have them in at the same time. Mainly due to money constraints the OME is not in the cards for some time, hence the bb first then switch over.

Hopefully I can find the time and pluck away at the storage and throw up some updates

Sent from my LG-LS970 using JeepForum
Unread 04-09-2014, 08:13 PM   #9
darthsidious
2006 WK 

Updates:

was able to get out and tinker with the rear storage a little,

I started by taking everything back out

Then I took some time to eye ball measure and notch out the center

On to adding some hinges

All mostly lined up before last hinge goes on

Hinges all on, testing, noticed a bit of flexing from hinge mount location. No big deal this is only a working mock up which will be put to use before the re design using some extruded aluminum or something

Back in the WK

All covered up and ready to roll

It still needs some fine tuning. probably a latch to lock them together, secured to the floor of jeep, fixed dividers, more stuff down in there to fill it up. It is far better than what is in there to begin with from the factory, even if my version is a long drawn out thrown together pile of scrap wood.
Unread 04-09-2014, 10:54 PM   #10
CamelMikeWK
2005 WK 

It looks good man. What is that cargo net holding on the other side of your seat?
CamelMikeWK is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-10-2014, 12:42 AM   #11
darthsidious
2006 WK 

The cargo net was left over from an '00 Audi S4 I had. Since it was just laying around and we had a problem with the 70lb dog climbing over the back seat into the kids lap in the car seat it found it's way in between the head rests. then after we had a few kids we keep a change of clothes bagged up in there to help make more of a barrier to stop the dog.

So Currently it's just hanging out there as a visual barrier for the dog.
Unread 04-15-2014, 06:11 PM   #12
Volkswagenguy

Well the Hemi didn't want to start today. The common everything works but only one click situation. I am hoping to get out and check the yellow wire as a quick easy fix tomorrow.

Sent from my LG-LS970 using JeepForum
Unread 04-18-2014, 03:28 PM   #13
darthsidious
2006 WK 

So I ended up replacing the end on the yellow wire, and then the starter, seems to be all ok now.

Next up:
1. Finding the heat shield for the starter, mine was not present.
2. There is slow leak, maybe a seeping from the passenger side front cv/diff. I'm assuming that it is a fairly straight forward seal to replace, and hoping on the cheaper side.
3. Replace front wheel hubs, broke a stud off and would just rather replace both units at the same time then just one stud and have to replace other things down the line in short term.
4. Drill out broken bolts from undertray. 2 of them thought it would be a good time to need replacing. I'm thinking this might be a good time to upgrade to a 4xguard unit.

Any thoughts or advice you guys have would be appreciated, especially if you have gone through similar repairs yourself.

oh and here are some of the pictures of the old/new starter

Unread 04-18-2014, 04:21 PM   #14
scootr29
Web Wheeler

2008 WK 

I hate rust...it is evil
Silver WK Club Member #1
2008 CRD QT2
scootr29 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-18-2014, 09:38 PM   #15
Red_liner740

Good job on the trunk storage. I made almost an exact copy of that back in November. Its pathetic the wasted space that the stock unit is.

Raising it to the height of 2x4 (i used 1x4's) and extending it fully to the back and sides easily triples the volume. I couldnt even put rolled up rope in the original space as it was too tall.

Now i have a shovel, axe, recovery strap, 50feet of climbing rope, jack, first aid kit, change of clothes, candles, blanket, miscellaneous tools and still room to spare.

I'm planning on adding shocks to keep the panels open and locks to keep them...closed. lol
Red_liner740 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.