Vibrations from front end humming sound when turing right - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 1 Old 03-19-2017, 07:32 PM Thread Starter
professordenk

Vibrations from front end humming sound when turing right

2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited HEMI 77630 miles.
For the past 6 weeks I have been feeling some very random vibrations from the front, in favor of the driver's side. Driving about 20 to 30 mph on a smooth-as-glass road, approaching a hill, my foot is on the accelerator and I start to feel some rapid small vibrations through the steering wheel. Similar to driving over small rumble strips on the side of a road. The vibrations are not bad enough to where I have to fight with the wheel to keep the vehicle straight. The tires are inflated properly and this is not being caused by warped brake rotors because A.) the rotors are fine and B.) this only happens when I'm on the accelerator or coasting. When I am on the brakes the vibrations go away. Sometimes after I come to a complete stop...once I start moving again I cannot feel the vibrations, they're just gone. One time in January 2017 on the same stretch of road as I was approaching the hill, with foot on the accelerator the vibrations were so intense I had to pull over to check and see if I had a flat tire. When I got back in the Jeep and drove away all was fine no symptoms until this week. I thought this was only when going up hills but now I am feeling it constantly for 10 miles on the highway at 55-60mph. I come to a red light, then start moving again and sometimes the vibrations are gone. This past Wednesday when backing up with steering wheel turned to the right I started to hear some humming/howling from the passenger side. Throughout my entire 22 mile trip that followed I could hear the same humming/howling from the passenger side but only when turning right. Up until about 20mph then I could no longer hear them due to road and wind noise. Follow link to view video of my Jeep's howling sound. https: //youtu.be/DNwEPE8LEFw No sound when I turned left. I had the Jeep on the lift yesterday and after about an hour of investigation I managed to find a torn upper driver side bushing on the front differential (see pictured). I had the transmission in neutral, spun each wheel individually with a stethoscope in my ear, but I could't hear anything out of the ordinary. I was unable to find any play in any of the drive axels and driveshaft. All the needle bearings seem good too. I should mention that my tie rods do have some play in them and I have the replacements ready to be installed. But I do not think they are the culprit of my vibrations. Once I find what is causing the vibrations I will replace everything all at once. I am completely stumped with what to check next. Could this be a possible failing wheel bearing, axle, CV joint etc, driveshaft, differential?

Attached Thumbnails
Bushing Close Up.jpg   Bushing.jpg  

Tags
drive line vibration , hemi , humming noise , steering vibration , vibration on acceleration

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.