Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

Vibration like driving over a rumble strip. Thoughts?

15K views 18 replies 9 participants last post by  soonerck 
#1 ·
Hey everyone.

I'm in the hate phase of my love/hate relationship with my '08 GC Overland CRD.

Yesterday I started getting a vibration that seems to be coming from the front left. It is more pronounced when travelling over 60 km/h. It almost feels as though I'm driving over a rumble strip. The sound and speed of the vibration is directly related to the speed that I am traveling.

I am replace the front left wheel bearing just over two months ago so I don't think that's it. The last time I had a significant vibration it was the main driveshaft universal joints that had seized. I replace the driveshaft with a custom unit with serviceable universal joint.

Wheel lugs are tight.

Any thoughts?

#2 ·
Have you tried rotating tires to see if it follows? Make sure to rotate to the opposite corner (right front to left rear, etc). Can you feel it in the steering wheel or feel it in a pedal? Do you feel it in the seat?

#3 ·
Thanks for the reply.

Just switched to the all seasons a couple of weeks ago. Haven't rotated the tires yet but did move them to th opposite corners over last year. Just a few minutes ago ran my hand along the tread of the tires to see if I can feel any bulges from a shifted belt. Didn't feel anything.

It's a vibration I can feel in the whole cab. Definitely feel it in my seat. Not causing the steering wheel to shake more than anything else in the Jeep.

#9 ·
Knock on wood... I know this RANDOM event. But once again... knock on wood it's not been around for a couple years.

Mine would happen suddenly and felt like I killed a tire.. no such luck.
My solution was to put it park as I stopped. Put it back in drive and it be gone.

Was the strangest thing.
No idea what caused it and it only happened 3 times.

#15 ·
The main drive shaft (rear) was replaced almost two years ago. I had it replaced with a custom unit with serviceable u-joints. At the time the symptoms were similar. The difference however what that I would get a heavy vibration when letting of the gas and cruising. When I had my foot on the gas and the shaft was under load the vibration would disappear.

In this case, it randomly comes and goes. I was thinking that it might be the front shaft but I don't know if it should present with the same kind of symptoms as the rear if it were a u-joint.

I'll definitely have to have a look at it.

#16 ·
I experienced the same thing with my '05. Only happened once. I got home and immediately put it up on Jack stands but I couldn't find anything. Took it for a ride and it was gone. Never came back.

2005 Grand Cherokee WK
2016 Grand Cherokee WK2
1968 Mustang Fastback

#17 ·
I have seen snow, ice or mud get stuck in the wheel rims and cause a nasty road vibration until it melts or falls out. Obviously the snow and ice are cold weather possibilities but the mud can be anytime.

#18 ·
The cause of the vibration may have been discovered.

I finally relented and dropped the Jeep off at the mechanic after the vibrations started to come on more frequently. I drive a lot for work and tried to hold off as much as I could but decided instead to just rent a car for the two days it was at the shop.

The mechanic told me that the u-joints in the rear drive shaft are seized. This is extremely frustrating to learn since the drive shaft was replaced less than 2 years ago with a custom unit and serviceable u-joints. They are greased with every regularly scheduled service.

My mechanic called to tell me that he can't replace them until he finds out what the part number is for these pieces. I called the fabricator to as what the warranty is on his components and he struggled to give an answer... "well if that's something that's important, 3, 6 months. Maybe a year...". WTF?! I asked if he could look up my details and confirm the part number and his answer is that he would have to look for the invoice that he has packed in a box. No computer records!? Join the 21st century!! He requires that the units be disassembled and the u-joints measures since he doesn't have the invoices handy.

I called the dealer (family friend) that we bought it from who arranged for the driveshaft to be replaced less than two years ago. He said he will get it taken care of.

Lesson learned...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.