Vibration issue won't go away help! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > Vibration issue won't go away help!

Bds fox ipf 2.0 racing series shocks now available at rockThe Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!

Unread 02-05-2015, 04:51 PM   #1
Turner492
2006 WK 

Vibration issue won't go away help!

I've been having a vibration in my 2006 WK 5.7 HEMI Overlander. The vibration only effects my steering wheel(enough to giggle my arm like crazy when driving). It doesn't shake the vehicle and don't feel vibration anywhere other then the steering wheel. It comes and goes between 60-95kmh but ALWAYS kicks in around 100kmh.
Things I've fixed and had done:
-wheels balanced and checked 3x (even had an oem set of rims and tires put on with same effects)
-one bad ball joint fixed driver side (both upper and lower fixed and repaired
-alignment after ball joint fixed
-tightened the bolt on the steering rack
-cracked front differential mount fixed
-brake rotors turned (all brakes good to go)
-all ball joints, toe rods, cv boots, driveshafts are good and solid.

Sometimes I notice going around big bends on the highway (doing 100kmh or more) the vibration will go away on lefts but come back worse going on right bends.
My mechanics think it might be something to do with the MDS system now. Where should we look next?!

Last edited by Turner492; 02-05-2015 at 06:24 PM..
Turner492 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-05-2015, 05:06 PM   #2
bustacrab
2005 WK 

Sounds like the play in the steering rack. I had the same issue when I got my WK. You can adjust this with the bolt that is located on the steering rack.

This URL is to a thread about this. You need a E20 socket to do it properly but you can likely do it with a 12 point socket if you are careful.
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f67/t...d-pop-1421373/
bustacrab is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-05-2015, 06:10 PM   #3
Turner492
2006 WK 

Sorry forgot to mention that, I DID tighten that bolt 1/8th turn. My steering has never felt better and tighter. Vibration issue still there.
Unread 02-05-2015, 06:42 PM   #4
Turner492
2006 WK 

Also reading a lot about some peoples EGR causing these weird symptoms. I've only owned it for a month now. The first few weeks I would have starting issues, and once in a blue moon when I put it in Park the throttle would be a little jumpy.
Unread 02-06-2015, 11:00 AM   #5
Turner492
2006 WK 

Help.. anybody =( I'm already hundreds of $$$ into trying to fix it. Budget is getting tighter now on what I have left to do. Only big things seem left to try..
Maybe driveshaft? Something mechanical maybe like the EGR valve (going to replace today for the hell of it), or maybe the MDS system isn't firing right causing a vibration? I always drive 100-120kmh on the highway and it's not fun holding onto the steering wheel. Let alone I have a road trip coming up in less then a month and I don't know if my hands/arms will beable to handle the vibration.
Unread 02-06-2015, 11:42 AM   #6
Hendrix9
2007 WK 

I would look into the front lower control arm bushings. Mine had a wicked wobble on the highway at certain speeds. You visually should be able to tell if the rubber looks severely cracked. You'll need another alignment if you do replace the LCAs. If a shop replaced the lower balljoint I would hope they'd think to check the bushings but who knows.

Just a thought. Although, I think my LCA bushings made the whole vehicle shake but I can't really remember.. Problems like this really suck. Good luck.
Unread 02-06-2015, 12:21 PM   #7
Turner492
2006 WK 

Thanks Hendrix9, Yeah they were "suppose" to of looked at everything. But they did miss the front differential bushing which I went and replaced myself. I will take a look at the control arm bushings tonight! Just weird having the vibration only in the steering wheel (when sitting passenger it feels perfectly fine at the vibration speeds)
Unread 02-06-2015, 12:23 PM   #8
caulk04
2008 WK 

Wow, MDS system? No. It is NOT causing your arm to vibrate.

Wheel bearings, CV axles and front driveshaft would be my top concerns.
Unread 02-06-2015, 01:23 PM   #9
skibum555
2005 WK 

have your tires re balanced. if not that then you have an out of balance driveshaft or a cv on the way out. could be a wheel bearing. DO you have spacers and have you checked them?? make a list and start working down it.
MEMBER #105
skibum555 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-06-2015, 02:12 PM   #10
Turner492
2006 WK 

Yeah I had brand new rims and tires put on thinking at first it was just my ****ty stock winters that needed replacing. (have had my rims and tires in 3x to have them rebalanced and everything comes out fine), Yeah I have 1" spacers on. But we test drove with oem spec rims and tires with the spacers on, same issue. Took the spacers off and used oem spec rims and tires, vibration still there but worse. Will look into if anyone around here re-balances driveshafts, and will take a better look at the cv axles. All wheel bearings were taken off and looked at yesterday and all were good to go.
Unread 02-06-2015, 02:53 PM   #11
maloj2003wj
2006 WK 

i have the same issue i think its the steering rack, waiting for my tax return to replace it =) lol
Unread 02-06-2015, 07:35 PM   #12
Turner492
2006 WK 

So.. Tonight I replaced my EGR valve. Went really smoothly actually. (Cut the bolt down for future ease of access). Not saying it fixed my issue but tonight when I tested it out on the highway the vibration was not there?? Might be one of those random times where it works fine. I'm going to let it sit tonight and try it again tomorrow and see. Regardless I think it needed to be replaced even with no codes showing. It runs so much more smooth now with shifting, throttle, and hopefully MPGs!

Last edited by Turner492; 02-06-2015 at 07:36 PM..
Unread 02-06-2015, 10:14 PM   #13
Jared26
2005 WK 

Believe it or not if the molar hydraulic power steering fluid isn't used it can cause this issue as well, especially when the hydraulic engine fan is running.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.