Very odd & random rear clicking/clunking noise. Need major help with this one!! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > Very odd & random rear clicking/clunking noise. Need major help with this one!!

*VOTE NOW Help Metalcloak Giveaway an XJ Suspension*Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge Bushings

Unread 12-05-2011, 10:11 PM   #1
JOSHMAN00
2007 XK Commander 

Very odd & random rear clicking/clunking noise. Need major help with this one!!

First off I apologize for the long post but it seems it takes a bit of typing to properly and thoroughly explain some of these issues.....

I have a very very odd noise I just noticed coming out of the rear of my 05 Hemi WK. I just noticed today on the drive into the city after about 10 minutes on the road I am getting a weird clanking and deep hollow clunking that is quite noticeable but only shows up at or around 75 mph and seems related to bumps minor or major. Sounds like something banging around in the rear in the underside of the jeep like a broken tailpipe hitting the floor pan or a loose spare tire (neither the case). I have never had any noises or anything like this before and found it quite odd. I came to my offramp and had to make a harder than normal brake and the same noise but alot more noticeable now on a rough street every little bump I could hear this clunking noise. Weirdest thing is after about two blocks it went away?

So on the way home I left work and no noise even on the same roads and same bumps back to quiet like it should be. After about 5- 10 minutes back on the highway at speed I turn the radio down cause I think I can hear the noise again and sure as the sun will rise it's back! So I scratch my brain on the drive back home (while hearing the noise the whole way home) and getting back to town again pull off the offramp to my house and after leaving the stop sign I am getting a noticeable deep clunking noise again but by the time I get a couple miles down the road at 35 mph speed limits it goes away. So I purposely swerve to hit some bumpy roads and nothing? So I have somewhat related it to heat from braking off the highway and or heat build up from something at higher speeds since it is non-existent in town driving conditions no matter how rough the road.

So I decide to take the Jeep on the backroads tonight to do a heat related brake test. I make about two or three harder than normal stops from highway speed to stopped and by about the third hard brake when I am accelerating away I am getting once again the very apparent noise and within a few miles of back to normal slower driving it disappears. I am REALLY scratching my head here and when I got home jacked up the rear end of the jeep and had a good look / bang on everything under there. Checked exhaust, spare tire, and pretty much anything I can get my hands on to bang for a noise and I found nothing.

So after looking on the forum I can maybe only relate it to a soon to be defective rear park brake system or maybe worn bushings in the rear axle stabilizer arms? I recently within the last couple thousand miles replaced all the rotors and pads but never had or noticed this noise until today really. I did check the rear park brake assemblies and cleaned them up when I replaced the rear rotors and they looked fine to me but who knows? Has anybody got any thoughts or ideas on what maybe the issue or have had a similar problem.

Planning a couple trips back home in the upcoming holiday season and the last thing I need is a park brake imploding or something similar crapping out on me with my family in the car especially on a cold canadian winter. Thanks in advance to anyone who can help me out or takes the time to read and hopefully we can figure this out!!

JOSHMAN00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-05-2011, 11:45 PM   #2
t3kmitch
2005 WK 

May not help at all but the girlfriend has a Hyundai Elantra that needs a front lower control arm bushing replaced. When it first started going it was really random. Every time I had a theory of what would cause it it'd be proven wrong. Year later (bolt wouldn't come out, haven't gotten around to buying a spare for $15 in case it breaks) and it just consistently makes the noise over bumps. Pretty sure as it gets colder we'd hear it more. Warmer it was less likely to make noise.

Just wanted to give my experience with a bushing in case it helps.
Blue WK Club Member #32
t3kmitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-05-2011, 11:45 PM   #3
Piepenbrok420
2013 JK Wrangler 

Did you adjust the parking brakes when you replaced the rotors? I'd definitely check the bushings on the rear arms as well as the rear swaybar links, easy way would be to disconnect them and take a run down the highway again, if the clunk/noise goes away then theres your culprit, be careful about taking sharp turns though.
Unread 12-06-2011, 08:44 AM   #4
Jeep Brian

Shock bolts tight?

Hers: 14 Dodge Durango Citadel Hemi

68 Firebird 350 4 spd #'s matching
Jeep Brian is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-06-2011, 09:40 AM   #5
JOSHMAN00
2007 XK Commander 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piepenbrok420 View Post
Did you adjust the parking brakes when you replaced the rotors? I'd definitely check the bushings on the rear arms as well as the rear swaybar links, easy way would be to disconnect them and take a run down the highway again, if the clunk/noise goes away then theres your culprit, be careful about taking sharp turns though.
No I did not adjust the park brake shoes when I replaced the rear rotors. The rotors went back over the shoes with very little effort and there is no draggin when I spun the wheel up in the air. I also used the park brake after to make sure it works and it does set and hold perfect so i assumed no need for any type of adjustment. Even tried the park brake yeststerday when I first started hearing the noise and on an icy surface and both wheels locked and it still works fine so I don't know what to say about that?

I am going to jack it up tonight after work and replace the rear park brake shoe hardware anyways with a Raybestos kit I got for $25 both side and adjust the shoes from there just for peace of mind. Cannot say for sure if this is my issue but since I heard they implode at higher mileage and I am turning 100,000 miles now I might as well replace the springs and such. I have also heard rumors on the forum that some say the rear brake dust plate thats the tine plate behind everything can cause some noise in certian instances.

The front sway bar bushings were replaced last month due to the wretched dry squeak on colder days plus it is very noticable to the rear of the vehicle. I never had it jacked up last night to take the pressure off the rear end to see if it was a link to the rear axle or not just drove backwards up a set of ramps to get clearance to crawl up underneith and take a look. I am gonna check all that tonight and see what shakes but the fact that everything looks good and nothing rattles at slower speeds or intown is bizzare? I can drive around the city anywhere from 40-50 mph and brake at every light and be on a rough road with no noise but if I make a good hard couple brakes coming off the highway then I have that rattle noise for a few miles until something cools down or tightens up? It is pretty much 100% narrowed down to the rear half of the Jeep and other than hard emergency type braking and 75-up mph speeds now it is non-existent.

The best way to describe the noise is if you can think of moving an old deep freeze of fridge and the compressor has that hollow type of rattle and clunk thats what this is...best analization I could come up with. Thanks for all the ideas so far keep em coming and I will post up if I find anything tomorrow morning once I check things out.
Unread 12-06-2011, 09:43 AM   #6
JOSHMAN00
2007 XK Commander 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeep Brian View Post
Shock bolts tight?
I will check that too but since it's only in certian conditions I cannot see it being that but who knows I will be un der it tongight and look over everything with a fine tooth comb.
Unread 12-06-2011, 10:03 AM   #7
t3kmitch
2005 WK 

Doesn't relate to speed but check that the stock scissor jack didnt shift and is now clunking on the bar?

Also not sure about speed but have you greased or did anything with your rear seat latches? They can creak/clunk.

2 quick easy (and cheap) checks. Take the jack out and fold the rear seats down and try to duplicate. Both of them could be fixed with electrical tape.
Blue WK Club Member #32
Unread 12-06-2011, 10:25 AM   #8
JOSHMAN00
2007 XK Commander 

Quote:
Originally Posted by t3kmitch View Post
Doesn't relate to speed but check that the stock scissor jack didnt shift and is now clunking on the bar?

Also not sure about speed but have you greased or did anything with your rear seat latches? They can creak/clunk.

2 quick easy (and cheap) checks. Take the jack out and fold the rear seats down and try to duplicate. Both of them could be fixed with electrical tape.
It definetley does not sound interior at all it is for sure outside and for sure under the Jeep. I know what you mean about the back seat latches my wifes Nissan Rogue was doing the same thing so I did the ole electrical tape fix on them but this is not inside the cabin pretty much guaranteed.

As far as the scissor jack goes that is not under the Jeep where the spare tire is located is it? Forgive my stupid rookie "wheres the jack" but I have only had the Jeep for a few months now and while having done tons for work to it I have never needed the stock jack and now that you mention it I have no idea where it is? Is it inder the rear cargo area where the spare tire used to be located on my old WJ? It could be a jack hitting something it would be heavy enough to cause that deep hollow sound or rattle so i will add that to my check list

I also have a buddy who is a factory tech at the local dealer so before taking it in I figured I would call him and pick his brain. Sounds like his bet would be towards the four link rear bars and bushings but he has never really heard of this as a common problem.
Unread 12-06-2011, 10:46 AM   #9
t3kmitch
2005 WK 

When my seats were creaking it sounded like suspension to me.

The jack is in one of the floor compartments behind the rear seats.

These probably aren't it, but like I said they're free and easy to check. Gotta start somewhere, might as well start small.
Blue WK Club Member #32
Unread 12-06-2011, 05:39 PM   #10
Piepenbrok420
2013 JK Wrangler 

Whenever you replace rear rotors you MUST adjust the shoes on the parking brake back out, they automatically adjust themselves down but never back out. You want them tight against inside of the drum, you basically adjust them out until you can't fit the rotor on, then adjust them back a bit till the rotor slides barely over the parking brake.
Unread 04-03-2012, 02:01 PM   #11
MattGATRTJ
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Did you ever find the noise. I have the identical problem with an 06 commander. I have checked everything except the sway bar bushings. It is annoying to no end.
MattGATRTJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-03-2012, 04:42 PM   #12
kdawgFL
2005 WK 

There is a small fin of metal that hangs down behind your spare (looking from the back) passenger side i believe about 10x24. in big. i guess its to protect spare? anyway mine rattled alot on bumpy roads and high speeds. just needa tighten a couple nutts above,behind the tire. hope this helps.
kdawgFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-03-2012, 08:12 PM   #13
MattGATRTJ
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdawgFL
There is a small fin of metal that hangs down behind your spare (looking from the back) passenger side i believe about 10x24. in big. i guess its to protect spare? anyway mine rattled alot on bumpy roads and high speeds. just needa tighten a couple nutts above,behind the tire. hope this helps.
Thanks I will check it out
MattGATRTJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-17-2014, 04:06 PM   #14
Corrodedexisten
2006 WK 

Was there ever a solve to this? I am having exact same problem. Sounds like drivers side. Its not the seat latches, and there are no shields or loose metal pieces that i can see anywhere by spare tire. This is been driving me nuts!
Corrodedexisten is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.