Valvetrain Clatter/tap in my 08 XK Hemi - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > Valvetrain Clatter/tap in my 08 XK Hemi

Attention to the TJ owners 1996-2006 NEW LED LIGHT OPTIONSOPTIC ARMOR WINDOWS all sale now !!!!!!!!FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 10-30-2013, 05:12 PM   #16
caulk04
2008 WK 

Say what? Are you looking for cause or effects?

Unread 10-30-2013, 06:54 PM   #17
Snow4Lif3
2005 WK 

effect
2005 WK 5.7L Limited QDII | Superlift | 1" Bora wheel spacers | Moab wheels | BFG A/T 285/70R17E | MDS light | SuperChips FlashPaq | Taylor Shorties wires | BT catch can | Volant CAI | Gibson Catback | S4xC Front Shackles | Anodized blue painted calipers | Stillen Rotors & Pads | 25W Cree LED Backup Reverse | Nokya Hyper Yellow Fog | ....
Snow4Lif3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-01-2013, 09:57 AM   #18
msfulcher77
2008 XK Commander 

I haven't had a chance to do any additional work yet beyond the oil change. Since the oil change, I no longer get the valve type noise I was hearing that would go away after a few seconds. Im assuming the synthetic is doing its job. I'm still getting what I call the exhaust leak sound. It does sound like the video Snow4lif uploaded but mine does not go away. And at times, it sounds just as loud when standing at the drivers side door than at the engine.

I'll try and post a video as well. Until I take it by a shop to look for a leak test, I don't have any additional info. I hope to take it somewhere next week. I'll post a video if I can and an update next week.
Unread 11-05-2013, 12:27 PM   #19
msfulcher77
2008 XK Commander 

I took it by a muffler shop on my lunch break and had a guy look/listen briefly. Before he even listened he said he's seen many with exhaust leaks at the manifolds. My Jeep was warm and I told him it was hard to hear once it was warm at idle. That you could hear it really easily if you put it in drive and go. He noticed the heat sheild on the drivers rear of the manifold was vibrating and appeared loose and he said that indicated a loose/broken bolt/studd. He said to bring it in tomorrow and he will take a closer look and put it on the lift to check it out better. I'll report what he finds. He gave me a rough price of $300 to do the work on the dirvers side. If it is indeed an exhaust leak at the manifold, would it be wise to spend an extra $100 and have the manifold replaced? So much of cost is associated with the labor...

Also, in an effort to self-diagnose and eliminate things, I noted that if I put it in D and put on the brake and give it some gas and bring it up to 1500 rpms I can hear the ticking noise, but if I leave it in park and bring up to 1500 rpms I don't hear it... Once again leading me to believe that its not MDS since it isn't active in that scenarior, but when MDS does activate, the noise does seem more prevelant. Sounds exactly like the OP of this thread. http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f67/2...sound-1299406/ He said he didn't have an exhaust leak though. When I drop the Jeep off at the shop tomorrow, I'll make sure he rides with me around the block to ensure he hears what I'm hearing...

Thanks!
msfulcher77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-05-2013, 03:42 PM   #20
msfulcher77
2008 XK Commander 

Just a little more info... When I left work, the engine was cool so I reached into see how loose the drivers heat shield was and it was just hanging there. The rear stud the shield was attached to had broken off and was still in the heat shield hole. I don't know if the rest of the bolt is firmly attached holding the manifold in place but I kind of doubt it.
Unread 11-05-2013, 03:51 PM   #21
kookoo102
2008 XK Commander 

Im in the same boat with the exhaust leak sounds and all.. going to have XK looked at this friday, I can update my results just for refrence if anyone is interested? this seems to be a big issue with the 5.7 esp on XK's

2002 WJ-LTD-4.7-QD-2in lift - Gone/ 2002 WJ-Laredo-4.0 Traded - Gone/ 1997 ZJ-LTD-4.0-3.5 inch on 31's - Gone / 1995 ZJ-Larado-4.0 - Gone
kookoo102 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-05-2013, 04:46 PM   #22
msfulcher77
2008 XK Commander 

Kookoo102,

Please post. The more info and resolutions posted the better. I've seen some of your posts in other threads and I'm doing what you are: getting all of the maintenance done to bring it up to date. I just got my 08 XK a few weeks ago. 110k miles. Needs some maintenance, but it has good bones. I got it for a pretty good price so I don't mind.
Unread 11-06-2013, 06:33 AM   #23
kookoo102
2008 XK Commander 

Will do, exhaust leak was bad this AM. I would not be suprised if it was a manifold leak. My appt is for 10am friday... I will update as I find out whats up.
Yea, I feel the same, my XK is in great condition. just needs some minors and it will be rock solid. love this jeep.
Unread 11-06-2013, 08:19 AM   #24
msfulcher77
2008 XK Commander 

Dropped of this morning at the shop and leaks at both manifolds. They will inspect the manifolds and will either resurface and reinstall or replace. they said if they are blue and crystallized they would recommend replacing and it will "only" add another $240 to have them both replaced. With 110K miles should I just go ahead and have them replace the manifolds to be safe since it's a relatively small part of the cost? that's what I'm leaning towards... The work will likely be finished by lunch tomorrow. They said there were several bolts broken and anticipated others not coming out willingly. They've done a lot of WK XK's witht he same problems and many dodge trucks too...
Unread 11-06-2013, 08:34 AM   #25
kookoo102
2008 XK Commander 

Quote:
Originally Posted by msfulcher77 View Post
Dropped of this morning at the shop and leaks at both manifolds. They will inspect the manifolds and will either resurface and reinstall or replace. they said if they are blue and crystallized they would recommend replacing and it will "only" add another $240 to have them both replaced. With 110K miles should I just go ahead and have them replace the manifolds to be safe since it's a relatively small part of the cost? that's what I'm leaning towards... The work will likely be finished by lunch tomorrow. They said there were several bolts broken and anticipated others not coming out willingly. They've done a lot of WK XK's witht he same problems and many dodge trucks too...
So what are you looking at just for them to re-install the old ones? and total with new? what will they be getting for "new" OEM?
$240 is not a bad price for 2 new manifolds... im thinking get new ones.

2002 WJ-LTD-4.7-QD-2in lift - Gone/ 2002 WJ-Laredo-4.0 Traded - Gone/ 1997 ZJ-LTD-4.0-3.5 inch on 31's - Gone / 1995 ZJ-Larado-4.0 - Gone
Unread 11-06-2013, 08:55 AM   #26
msfulcher77
2008 XK Commander 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kookoo102 View Post
So what are you looking at just for them to re-install the old ones? and total with new? what will they be getting for "new" OEM?
$240 is not a bad price for 2 new manifolds... im thinking get new ones.
~$800 for pulling the manifolds, getting all the broken bolts out, resurfacing the manifolds and reinstalling with all new bolts and gaskets. $1040 for same work except new manifolds. I guess they tecnically cost more than $240 for both since they won't be charging me for resurfacing the old ones. I called around and that is a fair price considering it is pushing 10 hours of labor due to all of the broken bolts and that includes a 1yr warranty... I was prepared for around $500 for the left side, but this is a little more than I was hoping for... I'll probably tell them, unless the manifold looks to be in stellar shape, replace it...
Unread 11-06-2013, 09:01 AM   #27
kookoo102
2008 XK Commander 

Quote:
Originally Posted by msfulcher77 View Post
~$800 for pulling the manifolds, getting all the broken bolts out, resurfacing the manifolds and reinstalling with all new bolts and gaskets. $1040 for same work except new manifolds. I guess they tecnically cost more than $240 for both since they won't be charging me for resurfacing the old ones. I called around and that is a fair price considering it is pushing 10 hours of labor due to all of the broken bolts and that includes a 1yr warranty... I was prepared for around $500 for the left side, but this is a little more than I was hoping for... I'll probably tell them, unless the manifold looks to be in stellar shape, replace it...
Yikes... thats poopy. At least I know what to potentially expect.
Well, atleast you know it will be good for some time to come. Are they reaplceing the maifolds with OEM ones?

Unread 11-06-2013, 09:29 AM   #28
msfulcher77
2008 XK Commander 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kookoo102 View Post
Yikes... thats poopy. At least I know what to potentially expect.
Well, atleast you know it will be good for some time to come. Are they reaplceing the maifolds with OEM ones?
I don't know about OEM. I didn't ask. As many issues as individuals have had with the OEM manifolds, I'm not sure I would want to go with them anyway...
Unread 11-06-2013, 09:43 AM   #29
kookoo102
2008 XK Commander 

Quote:
Originally Posted by msfulcher77
I don't know about OEM. I didn't ask. As many issues as individuals have had with the OEM manifolds, I'm not sure I would want to go with them anyway...
From what I have been seeing, it's not the manifold that is the issue, it's the bolts being either over torqued from the factory or something along those lines. I have been digging in old threads on a few commander forums and seeing post when people were buying XKs new and having these issues after as low as 10k miles.

Unread 11-06-2013, 10:41 AM   #30
msfulcher77
2008 XK Commander 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kookoo102
From what I have been seeing, it's not the manifold that is the issue, it's the bolts being either over torqued from the factory or something along those lines. I have been digging in old threads on a few commander forums and seeing post when people were buying XKs new and having these issues after as low as 10k miles.
I've read threads here where Walt had the entire exhaust replaced and he didn't have high miles at the time. He has a WK, but it's still a Hemi. We'll see...

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.