Valvetrain Clatter/tap in my 08 XK Hemi - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > Valvetrain Clatter/tap in my 08 XK Hemi

*VOTE NOW Help Metalcloak Giveaway an XJ Suspension*Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge Bushings

Unread 10-16-2013, 06:50 AM   #1
msfulcher77
2008 XK Commander 

Valvetrain Clatter/tap in my 08 XK Hemi

First, I searched and read a lot about this before posting...

I recently bought an 08 XK Limited with Hemi with 111k miles. Pretty much loaded.

The Jeep is a one owner and appears to have been well-maintained. Lots of maintenance records on the Carfax and even called the referenced dealer before I bought and no major issues other than replacing a fuel pump and lots of normal maintenance.

I didn't notice this noise when I test drove, but see below:

The noise is kind of a clatter/tap. Kind of a valve train clatter but also kind of an exhaust leak noise. (The engine makes a bit of normal valve/lifter noise when you first start and that goes away after a few seconds aside from a very slight Hemi tick. I'm hoping to reduce that when I do my first oil change by putting quality synthetic in it.) I seem to notice the noise more when it is cold than once it hits operating temperature but I'm not 100%. It does not appear to make the noise when at idle or when being revved anywhere between 600 and 2000rpms. So to repeat, the engine is smooth and sounds normal (and mean) when in park and revving. (I'll rev to 1800rpms and hold and I do not hear it.) I notice it when I'm in gear starting out and it seems to get louder at ~1800 rpms. Basically, when the engine is under a load. Once I'm up to speed the noise seems to pretty much go away or lessen, but then will worsen again when the mds kicks in. Same kind of noise. Almost like a spark knock but a little different. It's hard to describe accurately.

I originally thought it was an exhaust leak until I didn't hear it when not in gear and when the mds makes it louder. Unless exhaust leaks can reveal themselves when under load...

Any help or your thoughts would be appreciated before I take it somewhere. I would also appreciate any thoughts on what I should do to help eliminate it. I was thinking it could use a good tune-up anyway, so oil change (maybe seafoam before...) air filter, plugs, pcv valve, fuel injector cleaner (maybe seafoam again...). I've read about needing to clean the throttle body and injectors since they get real dirty due to the oil getting into the intake without a "catch can"?

Anyway, thanks in advance for your help. Overall, it runs excellent and I think I got a pretty good deal! Oh yeah, on the interstate home from purchasing I was getting over 17mpgs. Since being back and doing city driving it's down to a little over 14. So it doesn't seem horrible but could have room for improvement. Of course I've been putting my foot into it a little... :-)

Unread 10-16-2013, 12:29 PM   #2
caulk04
2008 WK 

Sounds like the same noise I've noticed in our 08 Hemi, just as you've described it. It doesn't sound bad to me, but it's not a desirable noise either. I've just written it off as exhaust noise in some fashion or another, especially since it becomes more prominent during MDS when the four active cylinders are under more load.

FWIW, I've been running Mobil 5w20 and M1-210 filter in ours and the noise hasn't changed.
Unread 10-16-2013, 01:07 PM   #3
msfulcher77
2008 XK Commander 

Thanks.

At lunch, I bought a can of sea foam and added 1/4 can to the crankcase and added the rest to the fuel tank and put about 15 gallons of 89 in it. I bought full synthetic Penzoil 5w20 and Mobil M1-210 and I will do the oil change Friday morning. I'll be driving interstate for about 100 miles on Friday evening so I'll see what the fuel mileage is then. Replacing the Air Filter on Friday as well. I'll work my way through changing all fluids over the next few of weeks and especially changing the plugs ASAP.
Unread 10-19-2013, 06:29 PM   #4
msfulcher77
2008 XK Commander 

No other thoughts out there...?

Thanks in advance.
Unread 10-20-2013, 04:22 PM   #5
Walt
2008 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by msfulcher77 View Post
No other thoughts out there...?
BT Oil Catch Can will help limit future intake manifold crud buildup.

My HEMI likes 5W-20 full synthetic oil better than dino oil. HEMI tick is minimized with full synthetic.

You can also get a pressure test (about 1.5 psig) on exhaust system to see if there are leaks in the ehaust manifold-to-Y-pipe joint or the the manifold-to-engine joint.

I had persistent exhaust leaks that were a real bear to get cured. Noises can vary with leaks. I found that letting everything warm up slowly under low load helps.
HEMI CLUB MEMBER #45; SILVER WK CLUB MEMBER #13
'08 WK GC Limited. 5.7L HEMI. Quadra-Trac II. Bright Silver Metallic. Class IV hitch.
Michelin LTX M/S tires. Fumoto oil drain valve. Billet Technology oil catch can.
Walt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-21-2013, 06:02 AM   #6
Snow4Lif3
2005 WK 

msfulcher77:

I have the exact same problem as you. It began gradually 2 years ago and the noise increased very slowly over time. I first though that it was a normal noise (the "hemi tick") but I realized that it was not "normal". This is surely not the "hemi tick"

Like you, when I start the engine, the noise begin and 2-3 sec later, it suddently become very less noticable. After, when I hit the gas pedal, the noise don't increase. When Im driving, the more i am accelerating, the more the noise increase...

Seafoam did nothing ...

I made a video of the engine starting. I'll post it if you want to compare.

I always used synthethic Mobile 1 5w20 and respected the maintenance schedule.

I don't know where to begin. I planned bringing it to my local shop the make an exhaust leak test... I will see what they think.
2005 WK 5.7L Limited QDII | Superlift | 1" Bora wheel spacers | Moab wheels | BFG A/T 285/70R17E | MDS light | SuperChips FlashPaq | Taylor Shorties wires | BT catch can | Volant CAI | Gibson Catback | S4xC Front Shackles | Anodized blue painted calipers | Stillen Rotors & Pads | 25W Cree LED Backup Reverse | Nokya Hyper Yellow Fog | ....
Snow4Lif3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-21-2013, 08:29 AM   #7
msfulcher77
2008 XK Commander 

Walt:

Thanks for replying. I've seen many quality posts and excellent input from you in other threads. I'll make sure I have the pressure test done to eliminate leaks. I have to to pass VA state inspection anyway... (BTW, as irony would have it, I'm at 'Walt' Disney world right now.)

Snow: Thanks, I would appreciate your video. Is it in another thread?

Ill keep this thread up to date as I do work and have pros look at it.
Unread 10-21-2013, 04:16 PM   #8
Walt
2008 WK 

Quote:
...BTW, as irony would have it, I'm at 'Walt' Disney world right now.
I actually met Walt Disney and spoke with him for about 10 minutes many years ago. He came aboard USCGC EAGLE in San Diego and we sailed it for him for a couple of hours. He loved that ship. Very nice person.

He opened Disneyland free to the entire squadron during our 4 days in Los Angeles in gratitude for his sailing trip.

They do it right at Disney World also. Enjoy.
'08 WK GC Limited. 5.7L HEMI. Quadra-Trac II. Bright Silver Metallic. Class IV hitch.
Michelin LTX M/S tires. Fumoto oil drain valve. Billet Technology oil catch can.
Unread 10-21-2013, 07:32 PM   #9
Snow4Lif3
2005 WK 

Quote:
Walt:

Snow: Thanks, I would appreciate your video. Is it in another thread?

Ill keep this thread up to date as I do work and have pros look at it.
The video is not in another thread. I will have to upload it. I'll do it this before the end of the week. It is on my camcorder right now !

If that interest you, I get a P0133 DTC code intermittently since 6 months. It is related to O2 sensor... or maybe an exaust leak ?
2005 WK 5.7L Limited QDII | Superlift | 1" Bora wheel spacers | Moab wheels | BFG A/T 285/70R17E | MDS light | SuperChips FlashPaq | Taylor Shorties wires | BT catch can | Volant CAI | Gibson Catback | S4xC Front Shackles | Anodized blue painted calipers | Stillen Rotors & Pads | 25W Cree LED Backup Reverse | Nokya Hyper Yellow Fog | ....
Unread 10-26-2013, 05:03 PM   #10
Walt
2008 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snow4Lif3 View Post
...I get a P0133 DTC code intermittently since 6 months. It is related to O2 sensor... or maybe an exhaust leak ?
Yep. Used to get that code routinely when the leak existed at the manifold-to-Y pipe. It's bank 1 sensor 1 slow response (driver's side front).
Unread 10-29-2013, 03:17 PM   #11
Snow4Lif3
2005 WK 

Here is the video I did october 5:

Increase the audio volume and listen right after I start the engine.

Today, temperature was around 32 °F and when I started the engine, the noise appeared louder then before and continued to exist until I hit the gas pedal (after 5 minutes) for 10-15 second and then after I released it, the noise became less loud...
Unread 10-29-2013, 08:02 PM   #12
caulk04
2008 WK 

Your noise sounds very much like a lifter or other valve train noise. What filter do you use? Does it have a quality drain back valve? ADBV is then term if you research filters.

My noise is much more mute and dissipates slowly and only slightly.
Unread 10-29-2013, 09:36 PM   #13
Snow4Lif3
2005 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by caulk04 View Post
Your noise sounds very much like a lifter or other valve train noise. What filter do you use? Does it have a quality drain back valve? ADBV is then term if you research filters.

My noise is much more mute and dissipates slowly and only slightly.
Im using Mobile1 filter (m1-204) and Mobile1 synthetic oïl 5w20. They have the ADBV.

I thouht that it was an exhaust leak because of the fact that the noise appear only right after I start the engine and stop right after (the more its cold, the more it take time) and only when my engine is cold and when the engine is on load (while accelerating on the road).
I also have the P0133 DTC...

If its lifters or valves, is the noise related to oil temperature ? engine load ?

msfulcher77 : Do your noise look like the one in the video I posted ? Did you find the problem yet ?
Unread 10-30-2013, 04:10 AM   #14
caulk04
2008 WK 

M1-204? I guess Mopar thought it was a good idea to change to metric threads later on...strange. Ours takes the M1-210...

Anywho I say what I say because the noise is quite prevalent, then dies down considerably, very quickly. There may also be an exhaust leak of some sort, but that first second or so sounds like valvetrain noise. Something akin to what the older 4.7's do alot of...my old 02 included. The issue with those was valve lash adjusters (think hydraulic lifter, but for overhead cam engines) leaking down and needing to pump back up.
Unread 10-30-2013, 12:35 PM   #15
Snow4Lif3
2005 WK 

caulk04 : What are other symptom beside of the valvetrain noise ? Gas into oïl ? nothing else ?

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.