Valve stem broke. Mandatory to replace TPMS sensor? - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > Valve stem broke. Mandatory to replace TPMS sensor?

HELLA FF75 12V 55W H7 Fog Lamps - SPECIAL OVERSTOCK SALE FBaseline 4x4 Lifetime Warranty 4340 Chromoly Axle Shaft KiJeep Gear & Install Packages!

Unread 01-05-2012, 11:08 AM   #16
BobbyB_WK08
2008 WK 

I just had tires put on they also broke one of my stems. $38 from NAPA

BobbyB_WK08 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-05-2012, 12:50 PM   #17
wookiee
Bought, not built.

2007 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by terrasmak View Post

BTW for everyone the rebuild kit cost is around $2 , it DOES NOT have to be done everytime they change tires, and should cost pennies to install when you are having tires installed.
Who sells 'em for $2?
07 Steel Blue Overland CRD QDII | Bilsteins | 4xguard Matrix | Rear SRT8 SwayBar | DashHawk w/egt | Provent MBRP XP Exhaust | New Intake Tube & Seal + EHM | Alternator Splash Guard | Crank Sensor | GPS AL InMotion Hack | Swirl motor bypass | Blue WK Club Member #13 | 100,000 Mile Club | Dogpiled Club | pre-N23 FDCM |
wookiee is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-05-2012, 02:58 PM   #18
Rubes
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickey63 View Post
check your spare (if you've got one)
Spare is a space saver. I haven't checked, but does it have a TPMS?
Rubes is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-05-2012, 03:11 PM   #19
oldmanscherokee
1992 XJ Cherokee 

If they are the all metal stems with a nut on the outside you will have to get a new one, they are one piece. If they are the new style ones with a rubber valve stem the stems and the sensor can be bought seperately. Some cars have them in the spare tire as well but I'm pretty sure the jeeps don't. Even if it did and you moved it from the spare to fix that one the light would still be on since spares that have sensors are monitored as well. $112 is an average price, they vary from $45 to up to $200 and over for some cars. Do not band the sensor in the rim, sensors that are meant to be banded are banded style from the factory, If you're going to be cheap you shouldn't have optioned the system in the first place. As far as being illegal, it will be soon at inspection time in some states when they become standard from the factory on every vehicle. Along the lines of abs lights, even though you still have normal brakes if the abs light is on most states will fail you. Wash your wheels when you wash the truck and absolutely DO NOT use metal style valve caps and you will most likely never have issues with them again.

And complaining about removal/mount/balance on a tire repair is as stupid as complining about the disposal charge for "hazardous waste" from an oil change. Do it yourself if you don't want to pay for it...............
4.5 inch RC lift
32 11.5 bfg muds
oldmanscherokee is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-05-2012, 06:49 PM   #20
Mickey63
2006 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubes View Post
My spare is full size and has TPMS, can't hurt to check....
Mickey63 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-09-2012, 09:23 AM   #21
Rubes
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickey63 View Post
My spare is full size and has TPMS, can't hurt to check....
When I got home that day, I took it out for a ride (my other Jeep is a TJ). TPMS warning off! I guess I had to take it out farther than my driveway
Rubes is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-09-2012, 03:05 PM   #22
terrasmak
2007 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmanscherokee View Post
Do not band the sensor in the rim, sensors that are meant to be banded are banded style from the factory, If you're going to be cheap you shouldn't have optioned the system in the first place. ..
What is cheap about putting the sensor in a location where it still works and does not risk getting destroyed while offroading.

The thing that actually started the banding was people who wanted to keep their sensors when running high dollar 2 and 3 piece wheels on sports cars.
terrasmak is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-12-2012, 07:37 AM   #23
relgawly
2010 WK 

I've got a 2010 WK, with the basic TPMS, it has the aluminum valve stems, one just broke. Now the dealer wants over 100 dollars to replace it?!?!?! My car is no longer under warranty since i have like 44k on it. I've been reading the thread and looking at the rebuild kits. So are the rebuild kits an option for the aluminum valve stem model? Is it possible to buy the new style ones (separate sensor and rubber stem) to replace the old one? No point in buying something that has a problem that we all know.
relgawly is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-12-2012, 08:48 AM   #24
GrilledJeep
2005 WK 

I took mine off, all of them.

they were freezing anyways and shattering.

The light is on, but I know my tires are good.

Rubber stems make my life in the cold easier
GrilledJeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-12-2012, 10:35 AM   #25
relgawly
2010 WK 

Well it looks like the new model is a rubber stem, I want to know if this model is compatible with my system. If you search for this model number 56029481AB you will find an example.
relgawly is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-12-2012, 10:43 AM   #26
tjkj2002
2002 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubes View Post
Temp spares do not have TPMS,only a full size spare will and then it's a option(package) to have the 5 tire TPMS system.

Quote:
Originally Posted by terrasmak View Post
What is cheap about putting the sensor in a location where it still works and does not risk getting destroyed while offroading.

The thing that actually started the banding was people who wanted to keep their sensors when running high dollar 2 and 3 piece wheels on sports cars.
Ford was really the only ones that ever had the banded TPMS sensors and they have scraped that idea long ago as it was a bad idea.

Quote:
Originally Posted by relgawly View Post
I've got a 2010 WK, with the basic TPMS, it has the aluminum valve stems, one just broke. Now the dealer wants over 100 dollars to replace it?!?!?! My car is no longer under warranty since i have like 44k on it. I've been reading the thread and looking at the rebuild kits. So are the rebuild kits an option for the aluminum valve stem model? Is it possible to buy the new style ones (separate sensor and rubber stem) to replace the old one? No point in buying something that has a problem that we all know.
No you can not switch to the new style sensors due to them operating at a different frequency then what your system requires.Those rebuild kits just replace the sealing parts and not the sensor or valve stem.
Unread 01-12-2012, 03:37 PM   #27
RIDER6
2008 WK 

This is the only tpms thread I could find so sorry if I vear off course alil....a few days ago I played in the snow.....needless to say my tpms came on yesterday and I thought it was from the cold and now my tire is kinda flatish....I threw air in it and am monitoring it to see if it goes back down....now my question is does the light stay on or does it turn off automaticly or do I gotta go to the dealler to get it turned off....or is there a cheat to turn it off like the oil change warning???? All input will help and I can't research too much cause I'm at work...thanks guys!
Unread 01-12-2012, 04:12 PM   #28
Coasty161
2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RIDER6
This is the only tpms thread I could find so sorry if I vear off course alil....a few days ago I played in the snow.....needless to say my tpms came on yesterday and I thought it was from the cold and now my tire is kinda flatish....I threw air in it and am monitoring it to see if it goes back down....now my question is does the light stay on or does it turn off automaticly or do I gotta go to the dealler to get it turned off....or is there a cheat to turn it off like the oil change warning???? All input will help and I can't research too much cause I'm at work...thanks guys!
IIRC it should go off after a couple of revolutions of the tire. As long as that was the issue
Silver WK Club Member #21

2007 Jeep Compass (sold)
2008 Jeep Grand Cherokee (sold)
2008 Jeep Wrangler unlimited 4d (current)
2012 Dodge Durango (current)
Coasty161 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-12-2012, 04:45 PM   #29
sk1er18
2007 XK Commander 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjkj2002 View Post
No you can not switch to the new style sensors due to them operating at a different frequency then what your system requires.Those rebuild kits just replace the sealing parts and not the sensor or valve stem.
Depending on model year you actually can since Chrysler has superseded the old sensors with the new style. I just did this a few weeks ago.

In terms of the XK the part numbers are as follows (XK model year - old PN - new PN):
2006 - 56053030AB - 68078861AA
2007 - 56053036AA - 56029479AB
2008 - 56029359AA - 56029481AB

Unread 01-12-2012, 05:24 PM   #30
RIDER6
2008 WK 

Were all good....thanks for the input jeep brotheren.....picked up a screw from a snow bank....thanks tho.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.