Valve Cover Gasket Replacement 05 5.7L - JeepForum.com
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By SilverLimited

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 Old 09-13-2017, 08:16 AM Thread Starter
adamf12
2005 WK 

Valve Cover Gasket Replacement 05 5.7L

I have searched but have come up short. Is there a good writeup on this process? I have noticed that on initial start up when the engine is cold and warms up that i will smell burnt oil. Once then engine is hot, this doesnt happen anymore. So, this morning i popped the hood, cranked the engine, and started to observe as it warmed up. I noticed that on the passenger side closest to the firewall, a single drop of oil dropped onto the exhaust and burned off. Only a single drop. As far as i can guess, it is a valve cover leak. If someone knows of a good writeup on the process to change the gasket, that would be awesome.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 09-19-2017, 09:50 AM Thread Starter
adamf12
2005 WK 

Nothing?

2005 Grand Cherokee Limited, 5.7L QDII
post #3 of 4 Old 09-19-2017, 10:05 AM
SilverLimited
2015 WK 

I don't have a reference or link to a procedure to share, but had the same problem you have on our 2005 Hemi about 1.5 years ago. Diagnosed the problem same as you have. Had the valve cover gaskets replaced (they were definitely leaking) but the problem continued. Had the shop put some oil dye in the crank case and had it check a few days later. Turned out to be the rear main seal, it will leak to the same general area that you saw the valve cover leaks. All of these engine oil leaks started around 145,000-14500 mile range.

Not saying that it's valve covers, rear main or both, but it might be worth having a good shop spray degreaser on the sides and rear of the engine and have it checked a couple of days later with the light to narrow it down.
adamf12 likes this.

15 WK2 Overland 3.6L QTII
05 WK Limited 5.7L QDII
01 WJ Limited 4.7L QuadraDrive
00 WJ Laredo-gone

post #4 of 4 Old 09-20-2017, 07:42 AM Thread Starter
adamf12
2005 WK 

Thanks. I will definitely check a more in depth to see if it may possibly be the rear main. mine has about 135k on it now, so it's about time for something to start leaking, lol

2005 Grand Cherokee Limited, 5.7L QDII

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.