Valpacer's WH Build Thread (War Machine) - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > Valpacer's WH Build Thread (War Machine)

Want to be able to SEE? DOT Approved Headlights for under We have FLASHLIGHTS! Great for your Emergency bag!Flowmaster Overstock: Special Holiday Pricing!!!!

Unread 06-08-2012, 09:23 PM   #31
Valpacer

2007 WK 

Drained the front diff while it was out.

Yep, thats mud and grit. Flushed it with fresh diff oil before re-install, and then another set of oil once it was in. Still no noises yet!

Getting the front back in

Needed new rotors, pads, hub bearings as they were all stuffed. Painted the rotor centres.

Mocked up the new front struts for space.

2007 WH Grand Cherokee CRD (Yup, RHD Australia)- 3" Exhaust, GDE Flash Tune, CRDSTU/SL Hybrid Lift & bash Plates, 4xGuard Rock Rails, Saguaro F & R Bars, RCV's, Warn 9.5cti-s, AEV Saverge Rims, Nitto Mud Grapplers, Snorkel, Custom Rear Drawers, On Board Air, BullyDog Monitor, Dual Batteries - Build Thread - YouTube Vids
Valpacer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-08-2012, 09:37 PM   #32
Valpacer

2007 WK 

Got the rear fully boilted up, using the SL springs and old shocks. The old shocks (whcih are already longer then the OME) were perfect to mock up the new ride height level

ANd no, the shocks in the last post were not for this, they are off a prerunner style JK being built. And cost more than the whole kit each!

Removed the 31" bighorns, and got a hold of a set of 35" BFGoodrich KM2's. Thats better!

Out for its first flexing.

SO we made up some 70mm spacers for the rear, to get the height correct. These are being replaced with some custom springs to take the weight and with a progressive rate to give some extra coils for down travel.

The front already had some extra HD springs, but with the SL strut preload spacer it put too much strain on them. The Preload spacers will come back out, which will also reduce the angle on the tierods.

Measurements ended up at around 6.5" of total lift. Once the new coils are in and the front is set it will end up being around 6.25".

2007 WH Grand Cherokee CRD (Yup, RHD Australia)- 3" Exhaust, GDE Flash Tune, CRDSTU/SL Hybrid Lift & bash Plates, 4xGuard Rock Rails, Saguaro F & R Bars, RCV's, Warn 9.5cti-s, AEV Saverge Rims, Nitto Mud Grapplers, Snorkel, Custom Rear Drawers, On Board Air, BullyDog Monitor, Dual Batteries - Build Thread - YouTube Vids
Unread 06-08-2012, 09:49 PM   #33
Valpacer

2007 WK 

I decided to remove the roof rack at this stage, mainly to clean the look up a bit and also to not make it look TOO high. Thats only for the locol police, as where I am we cant lift a 4wd by more than 2" or increase tyre size by more then 1/2" diameter. Which luckily the Jeep came factory running 34.5" tyres .

Fitted the factory rails back on, and a couple of single 10W Cree LED fittings to the rear instead of the large ones the rack had.

Relocated the Light bar to the front grille.

And in the meantime I have been working on a new rack, which will be a single layer with low mounts (no higher than the factory side rails) and let me get the light bar back on the roof, and be there in case I need to carry anything.

Using some 25mm (1") tube, and some 25x50mm rectangle for the mount sections.

There are more pics of this on my 'Time for a new rack' thread.

And now i just need to complete the mounts for the lights, and some smaller tube for the wiring to run in. At the moment it weighs just 6kg, instead of the 24kg the old rack did.
Unread 06-08-2012, 10:08 PM   #34
Valpacer

2007 WK 

I had to also make up some rear mudflaps, as combined with the lift and the saguaro bar, you can see almost the whole tyre from the rear . Another thing the local police dont like.....

6mm rubber, and a couple of pieces of 15mm sq tube. Also had some Stickers left over, so while the paint was drying I cut up some ally plate and made the logos. And some socket head stainless bolts. Bit blingy but Nathan will be proud!

And 2 pins with R clips for quick removal.

Once i have the extra rubber on the guards sorted to cover the extra tyre width, i may re-jig these to match.
Unread 06-08-2012, 10:17 PM   #35
Valpacer

2007 WK 

In order to get the full flex out of the 35's, i had to do a little 'trimming' of the Saguaro bars. The paint is just to keep the rust away, once its all finished they will get re-powdercoated.

Before - Front Bar (sorry about the exposure, phone camera)

During

After.

Rear Bar. During.

After.

There is still a few bits of the actual Jeep to trim in behind, but with this i can get the 35 all the way into the guards, well as far as i could the 31's .
Unread 06-08-2012, 10:18 PM   #36
Omelet
Evil Overlord!

2005 WK 

Great job with those mud flaps! So are you running a rear sway?

HEMI Club Member #31 - - - JEEP Makes It, HEMI Shakes It!!!
Omelet is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-08-2012, 10:23 PM   #37
Valpacer

2007 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omelet View Post
Great job with those mud flaps! So are you running a rear sway?
No, only the front. Once the new coils and shocks are in I may have to rethink, it fine at the moment, but with slinkier coils

Still avoids Prius's with ease
Unread 06-08-2012, 10:38 PM   #38
Omelet
Evil Overlord!

2005 WK 

Nice! One of these days I will extend my JKS discos so I can use them again.

Unread 06-17-2012, 03:54 AM   #39
Valpacer

2007 WK 

Did some more work on the new roof rack today.

Got the bracket bits on the roof, sat the rack on top to mark out.

So got the brackets welded up at the right angle, trimmed and painted. Of course the wire feeder started doing its ferarri impersonations again so the welding is very average. It will do for now.

Used some 3mm rubber under the mounts (trimmed holes the size of the nutserts in the roof) and some black socket head capscrews with fibre washers to try and keep the waterproofing of the roof.

This is the new location of the rear LED's, off the mounting brackets.

Then it was time for the front light mount. Unfortunately my cheap light bar has an average mounting design, but this should be able to suit whatever i go to next.

Hopefully ill have it all welded up and painted by tonight.
Unread 06-17-2012, 08:33 AM   #40
AJeepZJ
2006 WK 

I dont have to tell you this, but, yeah. That looks really good .
Unread 06-17-2012, 08:49 AM   #41
AJeepZJ
2006 WK 

Btw.... What UCA's are you using???
Unread 06-17-2012, 12:34 PM   #42
Omelet
Evil Overlord!

2005 WK 

Looks great Dave! I can't wait to see it finished and bolted down. You planning on painting it black? You still wanting the RRO UCAs?

Unread 06-17-2012, 06:35 PM   #43
Valpacer

2007 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJeepZJ View Post
Btw.... What UCA's are you using???
Quote:
Originally Posted by Omelet View Post
Looks great Dave! I can't wait to see it finished and bolted down. You planning on painting it black? You still wanting the RRO UCAs?
Hoping for the RRO UCA's, but no luck yet.

Of course it will be black ! Actually its had its undercoat and its first coat of Satin black last night at around 11pm. Hopefully after work today i can give it a final coat and install it. Then I can get the lights rewired. Again! Just have to run the Light bar feed back up from the grille to the rack.
Unread 06-19-2012, 04:07 AM   #44
Valpacer

2007 WK 

Well, stage 1 of the 'AJ' roof rack is complete, and in true fashion, its all painted, on the roof! And these are the only photos :-) Lights are also on, but the wiring has just been slapped on till I can get time to rerun the cables inside the cab for the rear lights.

Its nice and close to the roof, I have no wind noise from it at all, and it doesnt stick out. Still gives me something to hang on to on the trails (and put a strap over if needed!) and the light bar is back on the roof where it should be!

SO now the remaining works are to fix the cabling, and eventually get a single row Rigid light bar to replace the current one.
Unread 06-19-2012, 06:09 AM   #45
AJeepZJ
2006 WK 

yes... that's a much better spot for those lights. I like it, Dave.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.