Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

Valpacer's WH Build Thread (War Machine)

122K views 304 replies 48 participants last post by  Hendrix9 
#1 ·
Valpacer's WH Build Thread (W8)

Well, its about time I started one of these. Some will be a bit out of order, some mods have heaps of pics, some none!

To kick things off, Here is the Jeep just after it arrived form the dealer. Was searching for a Laredo CRD with QDII, either a Demo or such. Had to get it from the other side of the country.

So the order to the dealer had some extras on it :thumbsup:
  • ARB HD Lift with Bilstein Struts and shocks
  • ARB Bullbar
  • Warn Winch
  • IPF 800 lights
  • Commander Rims
  • 265/70R17 BFG All terrains
  • Brake Controller

First things were the adding of a Uniden Remote Head UHF CB, and a RFI CD900 Antenna to the bullbar.

You can also see in the pics how the spare sat down....didnt last long there.

This is how it was for around 2 years, it was the family daily, wheeled on the weekends when i wasnt in the XJ, or the ZJ, or the 80....

Then the real mods started....

See less See more
#112 ·
Nothings happening at the moment!

Have heard through the grapevine that Nitro have bought a WK to play with.........

Got some vids coming from last friday night, did a small night run. Enjoying the 33's too, with what i wheel the 35's just killed the gearing too much.

#114 ·
Im hoping its for gear development :D give me 4.56's!

#118 ·
Sick jeep man!

#120 ·
love your jeep, and the way you use it. keep up the posting, it keeps me motivated! :cool:
Thanks fellas!

Couple more vids i havent posted.

Placed 3rd in the first round of the Suspension Stuff Comp for this year, different class this year, and only 4 rounds so every point counts! 1st and 2nd were trailered rigs too, so i was pretty happy :cheers2:

Bring on round 2!

#119 ·
love your jeep, and the way you use it. keep up the posting, it keeps me motivated! :cool:

#124 ·
Thanks Mate, they are the gun bumpers thats for sure!

Little bit of Carnage from last weekends run to LCMP.

Little Update:

• Fitted some 3.73 Hemi diffs (mine were factory 3.55) Big difference off and on road
  • Still getting the computers played with to get the tranny programmed
  • Still in design stages for the rear long arm conversion, including a fuel tank relocation

Should have a vid from last weekend soon

#125 ·
A small set of pictures from the Murchison Products 'Independents Day' run to Landcruiser Mountain Park

#130 ·
#131 ·
When we eventually do the long arms, we are going to tie the sliders into the subframe mounts we are making for the arm mounts, that will tie them together front and back. Front will include the replacement transfer case mount which will be much thinner! :thumbsup:

#133 ·
Valpacer since you are in Australia and actually have true Landcruisers available what is your opinion of the Grand Cherokee versus some of the Land Cruiser, Patrol, Hilux etc...there are website here in America that guys would give there testicles for some of those vehicles...

Would you drive your Grand across Australia? Maybe you have.....

Just curious...

#134 ·
Yes! and Yes, most of the east side to the simpson anyway- (planning a trip to the NW of West Aust in a couple of years when kids are older). Older landcruisers are good trucks, new 200 series is a Dubai land yacht, like the new patrol. None of the new landcruisers or patrols will do what the WK or WK2 can do stock.

Landcruisers have lots going for them, but also have issue just like any other vehicle. Weak front diffs, front hubs and cv joints seals are always leaking, petrols are thirsty etc. But there are ****loads of them down here, so every mechanic from Broome to the Isa can fix them, and probably has spares in stock. The cruiser utes are used extensively in mines and works crews, so they are everywhere as well. Farmers get a large rebate (read huge) on diesel utes as well, so the cruiser & hilux utes and patrol utes are thick on the ground as soon as you leave the cities.

Ive had a couple of 80 series Cruisers, lots of room inside, and with small mods can be capable, but for serious stuff still needs lots of mode. JK more capable anyday. Ive driven Patrols and cruiser utes, agricultural is the best word, but will last for 500ks easy with regular service.

Big thing down here is there were only a few thousand grand cherokees sold versus millions of Landcruisers and hiluxes, and as we all know volume brings knowledge, spares and accessories!

#137 ·
Yep, running a double cardan front shaft, uses a 9t isuzu truck double cardan mated to a cut down factory shaft. Uses factory lower CV end and slip to the diff and gets rid of the upper CV completely.

Pic of the Double cardan installed.

With the shorter shaft of the CRD the top CV joint (which is the one that fails on most WK's) is past its working angle with the SL front diff drop. This was a pretty easy change, used the factory shaft and grafted the double cardan to it, and machined down the flange to suit the t-case output.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.