USA Spec IPOD Interface - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > USA Spec IPOD Interface

ECGS Black Friday Sale!!6th Annual, Beat Your Wife to the Credit Card Sale!50 in light bar /A pillar mount less than 500 at JeepHut.c

Unread 11-10-2006, 03:48 PM   #1
Joe_Mac

USA Spec IPOD Interface

I am looking to install one of these in a friends 2005 Grand Cherokee. On USA Spec's website, they have an N/A for which one works with this vehicle. Has anyone tried to install one of these in a 2005 GC?

FWIW, just because it says N/A, doesn't mean that it won't work... it says N/A for my car but it still worked.

Thanks

Joe Mac

Joe_Mac is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-11-2006, 01:06 PM   #2
sna77

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe_Mac
I am looking to install one of these in a friends 2005 Grand Cherokee. On USA Spec's website, they have an N/A for which one works with this vehicle. Has anyone tried to install one of these in a 2005 GC?

FWIW, just because it says N/A, doesn't mean that it won't work... it says N/A for my car but it still worked.

Thanks

Joe Mac

that thing is a POS. Its an FM modulator. for the same price you could do this:
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f67/diy-direct-wire-ipod-install-05-07-grand-cherokee-338052/
sna77 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-11-2006, 01:12 PM   #3
Joe_Mac

You must be thinking of something else. This unit plugs right into the back of the deck. It is not an FM modulator.

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-Ie0ZMuW...=usa+spec+ipod

Joe Mac
Unread 11-11-2006, 01:20 PM   #4
Joe_Mac

Ya, that link appears to do the same thing as the USA Spec device. Does the 2005 Grand Cherokee have steering wheel controls for the radio? If so, the USA Spec would allow you to use those to change track and volume and all that.

Joe Mac
Unread 11-11-2006, 01:20 PM   #5
sna77

Quote:
You must be thinking of something else. This unit plugs right into the back of the deck. It is not an FM modulator.

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-Ie0ZMuW...=usa+spec+ipod

Joe Mac

I thought you meant the OEM iPod adapter modulator. (thougtht US Spec, meant made for US cars, not the brand "US Spec"... We are a BMW family too, so every part that is ordered is either Euro-spec or NA spec)...

http://www.wkjeeps.com/iPod.htm

Anyhow, here is the compatability list ofrom US spec's website:
http://www.usaspec.com/compatibility/index.html

The 05-07 GC is not listed. See my link above in the first post. The 05-07 GC is based of MB's CANBUS design. As of yet, there is no iPod integration from any vendor. Just get your buddy the setup I did. It was cheaper ($110) and works great!
Unread 11-11-2006, 01:22 PM   #6
sna77

Quote:
Ya, that link appears to do the same thing as the USA Spec device. Does the 2005 Grand Cherokee have steering wheel controls for the radio? If so, the USA Spec would allow you to use those to change track and volume and all that.

Joe Mac

Yes it does... but as i mentioned, its not compatabile with 05-07 GC's
Unread 11-11-2006, 01:25 PM   #7
Joe_Mac

Is it not compatible because it doesn't have the same plugins, or because the list says its not? The one for my Inifiniti isn't listed, but it actually works very well. Do you know what other vehicles use this same radio?

Joe Mac
Unread 11-11-2006, 01:32 PM   #8
sna77

Quote:
Is it not compatible because it doesn't have the same plugins, or because the list says its not? The one for my Inifiniti isn't listed, but it actually works very well. Do you know what other vehicles use this same radio?

Joe Mac

You'd have to call them and ask. I simply took their word for it and got the other option... =) But, the CANBUS is the issue. If youlook at the wkjeeps.com link, these cars all all lumped together as having Mercedes-Benz's CANBUS system:

1. Mopar iPod adaptor for new CAN Bus vehicles

Part # 82210181. MSRP $135 (installation not included). Direct-wire FM transmission (no static). File navigation is maintained by the iPod click wheel control pad.

Compatible with REC navigation radio and other CAN bus radios
Fits the following vehicles:

2006-2007 Grand Cherokee (all models)

2007 Aspen
2007 Caliber
2007 Dakota
2007 Durango
2006-2007 Minivan
2006-2007 300, Magnum, Charger
2007 Pacifica
2006-2007 Ram
2007 PT Cruiser
Unread 11-11-2006, 01:36 PM   #9
Joe_Mac

Cool, thanks for all the info.

Joe Mac
Unread 11-14-2006, 12:44 AM   #10
RUT ROW

I have an '06 XK with the Nav unit but no rear DVD. Not having iPod connectivity makes me crazy! I wonder... do you think this setup would work in my situation? I would think I should have an open input on the head unit or does the rear DVD use its own amp?

-mike
RUT ROW is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-14-2006, 05:42 AM   #11
sna77

Quote:
Originally Posted by RUT ROW
I have an '06 XK with the Nav unit but no rear DVD. Not having iPod connectivity makes me crazy! I wonder... do you think this setup would work in my situation? I would think I should have an open input on the head unit or does the rear DVD use its own amp?

-mike

According to the site, you have the open input as long as you dont have Sirius
Unread 11-18-2006, 12:02 AM   #12
RUT ROW

Quote:
Originally Posted by sna77
According to the site, you have the open input as long as you dont have Sirius
Unfortunately, I do have Sirius. I still would think unless the DVD is independent of the head unit it should have an input available?

-mike
RUT ROW is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-20-2006, 08:47 PM   #13
stephen

I don't mean to hijack this thread..but i think this is applicable.....if i don't have sirius, are there inputs in the back of my factory stereo (with NAV) where i can at least plug an rca cable into?
stephen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.