Upper radiator hose full of air - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > Upper radiator hose full of air

Dana 30 Truss for your TJ, LJ, ZJ, and XJFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 08-11-2013, 11:36 AM   #1
zeds_dead
2005 WK 

Upper radiator hose full of air

I took off my upper radiator hose today planning on replacing the tstat, and when I put it back on, turned on the engine, it's just full of air. Is there any way to let the air out?

Unread 08-11-2013, 03:40 PM   #2
fishinbama
2007 WK 

Generally you should fill the coolant to the top by removing the radiator cap. Make sure the engine isn't hot before filling. Make sure you have some coolant in the coolant reservoir and it will finish sorting itself out.
fishinbama is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-11-2013, 04:21 PM   #3
Walt
2008 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeds_dead View Post
I took off my upper radiator hose today planning on replacing the tstat, and when I put it back on, turned on the engine, it's just full of air. Is there any way to let the air out?
If the air isn't purging, that's a symptom. I suspect the radiator cap could be going bad. Should suck coolant (from the overflow tank) back in to the main system at cooldown via vacuum relief. I would start by replacing the radiator cap (Stant or good quality equivalent).

When you refill the coolant system, try to park pointing slightly uphill. Refill the radiator and let it perk down. Squeeze the top hose until the air bubbles appear in the filler neck and it will refill the upper hose somewhat. Repeat several times until no more bubbles appear. Top up the radiator and overflow tank. Finally, make sure the overflow tank is at the high mark with coolant solution.

Run engine until t-stat opens and you should see more bubbles appear at the fill neck. Refill again to take up the air space. There is a bleed plug over the t-stat housing, but I did not have to use it when I changed coolant. All of the air came out with the above approach.

Check your coolant overflow tank several times over the next week and refill as necessary (as the air burps out of the coolant system).

BTW: Think the '05's use HOAT coolant like the '08's. MOPAR recommends not mixing anti-freeze types.
HEMI CLUB MEMBER #45; SILVER WK CLUB MEMBER #13
'08 WK GC Limited. 5.7L HEMI. Quadra-Trac II. Bright Silver Metallic. Class IV hitch.
Michelin LTX M/S tires. Fumoto oil drain valve. Billet Technology oil catch can.
Walt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-11-2013, 05:53 PM   #4
TangoTango
2008 WK 

it will work its way out ... you can drive it around until it gets a little warm and then add fluid when it cools off.
TangoTango is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-11-2013, 08:44 PM   #5
WieSeL

Unscrew the bleeder screw a little and let the air out and then close it back up. Run it during this process and not when hot or pressurized
WieSeL is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-11-2013, 11:44 PM   #6
colinzj
2006 WK 

The 3.7 and 4.7 have a bleeder plug at the upper hose inlet. With a stone cold engine, completely remove it (you'll need an allen key), fill the system until fluid starts coming out of that hole, replace the plug (again with the allen key), and then fill the overflow tank until it's full. Don't touch the bleeder plug again.

Start up the Jeep and let it run with the heater on full heat. After you reach the middle of the temp gauge, shut down, let the vehicle cool off, and add whatever makeup fluid you need. Repeat this part of the process two more times. Have a beer. Air should be gone and fluid level should be stable.
Unread 08-12-2013, 12:18 PM   #7
bigpav7

anyone know where the bleed screw is on the hemi?
bigpav7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-12-2013, 06:44 PM   #8
WieSeL

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigpav7 View Post
anyone know where the bleed screw is on the hemi?
By the upper hose underneath the intake tube area
Unread 08-13-2013, 11:24 AM   #9
bigpav7

Quote:
Originally Posted by WieSeL View Post
By the upper hose underneath the intake tube area
Is it the one you need an allen key to open?
bigpav7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-13-2013, 01:28 PM   #10
WieSeL

Yes

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.