Upper Radiator Hose During Operation - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > Upper Radiator Hose During Operation

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineCount Down to KOH Sale!The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!

Unread 01-09-2015, 06:35 PM   #1
tooshort85
2005 WK 

Upper Radiator Hose During Operation

4.7 guys and gals. I'd like to ask a big favor, can everyone chime in on how tight their upper radiator hose is after your engine has reached operating temperature and been driving for a bit?

Is it very squishy between your fingers (easily compressed), or is it somewhat tight (you can squeeze it but not much).

I asked this question because I have two radiator caps, one is brand new and with it on I notice my upper radiator hose is much stiffer than the old one. Both are rated at 18 psi. Which is normal operation for our Jeeps?

With either one and with the engine cold, it is pretty soft, even if it idles up to operating temperature but gets stiffer after driving.

Thanks

tooshort85 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-09-2015, 07:40 PM   #2
90grandoneer
2006 WK 

The old cap is no good. There are testers that can check cap pressure rating and bleed down, which it shouldn't have until above the rated pressure. You might see if Auto Zone can test it for you. When hot the hose should be stiff.
06 GCO, Dk Khaki, QDII, Flshing Hi 3rd Bk Lt, MDS "ON" Lt, Airtab Vortex Gens, Debadged, Fumoto Drain Valve, BT Catch Can, Chopped EGR Tube, SRT8 CAI, K&N Filter, Sonnax Trans Line Press Booster, SC Tuner W/Adv Trans Tune App, DS Tuner, Cust tubular hdrs w/3 in Magnaflow/Xlerator AP Exh Sys, Bilsteins, SRT Springs/Sways, Cust Eng Cvr, SRT8 frt/rear bumpers, FRI Sidewinder Cam/6.1 valvetrain, SLP 25% UD Pulley, BBK true 90mm T-Body, SOS Ign Coils w/.060 spark plug gaps, SRT Reps with 265/45&295/40X20's.
90grandoneer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-10-2015, 11:37 AM   #3
tooshort85
2005 WK 

So the hose should be stiff to the point where it can be very slightly pinched when putting pressure on it between the fingers. This would be normal operation for 18 psi?

Mine doesn't look bloated or swollen or anything like that.

The reason I ask about the psi is, for instance, a bicycle tire at 18 psi will be very easily squeezed in between the fingers.

Also another question I have, when I remove the radiator cap, if I don't replace it quickly with a cold not running engine, it will fairly quickly start to overflow from the radiator fill. Is this draining down from the overflow tank and is this also normal?
tooshort85 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-10-2015, 01:53 PM   #4
90grandoneer
2006 WK 

Normally you shouldn't ever have to remove the cap, unless you suspect there is a problem, and then only to check the pressure to verify it's within the prescribed range. You'll get overflow from the coolant recovery tank if you remove it. The tank is where you check/add coolant. The only time you'd add coolant directly to the radiator is on initial filling after some maintenance action requiring it to be drained.

If any of your coolant hoses are bloated"or swollen, they're starting to fail internally and should be replaced immediately. On your other questions, bicycle tires are a lot smaller, made of a different type rubber compound, and don't have coolant flowing through them. Just make sure your cap pressure checks to the correct specs., make sure it and all hoses are tight, and call it good. Coolant level in the recovery tank should never go below the "Add" mark on the recovery tank. I run mine about 1/4-3/8 in. below the full mark when cold. When the coolant heats up and expands, it runs right at the full mark. If I fill it to the "Full" mark when the engine is cold, it'll start puking it out the overflow when the engine heats up. If you're losing fluid (the level in the recovery tank changes when cold), you've obviously got a leak somewhere. Just recently on mine, the level in the recovery tank would be about 1/8 in. lower than my mark on the tank, when I checked cold after about a week. I found that tightening the top radiator hose clamps and the thermostat housing bolts cured what was a very small leak that I couldn't even see.
06 GCO, Dk Khaki, QDII, Flshing Hi 3rd Bk Lt, MDS "ON" Lt, Airtab Vortex Gens, Debadged, Fumoto Drain Valve, BT Catch Can, Chopped EGR Tube, SRT8 CAI, K&N Filter, Sonnax Trans Line Press Booster, SC Tuner W/Adv Trans Tune App, DS Tuner, Cust tubular hdrs w/3 in Magnaflow/Xlerator AP Exh Sys, Bilsteins, SRT Springs/Sways, Cust Eng Cvr, SRT8 frt/rear bumpers, FRI Sidewinder Cam/6.1 valvetrain, SLP 25% UD Pulley, BBK true 90mm T-Body, SOS Ign Coils w/.060 spark plug gaps, SRT Reps with 265/45&295/40X20's.
90grandoneer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.