Upgrading MyGIG Bluetooth - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > Upgrading MyGIG Bluetooth

Savvy/Currie Aluminum Control ArmsRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4w

Unread 12-05-2014, 02:34 PM   #1
clemsonscj
2009 WK 

Upgrading MyGIG Bluetooth

What would I need to do to get my current MyGIG radio in my 09 Overland to stream Bluetooth music through the radio? I heard the 2012's can do it. Will those model radios fit in our Jeeps?

Black WK Club #134
clemsonscj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-05-2014, 05:27 PM   #2
scootter82
2009 WK 

There's a thread somewhere here that addresses this issue. Yes, the 2011+ radio streams audio through Bluetooth and should fit. But unless you can find a replacement at a junkyard, paying $600+ for one additional feature really isn't worth it.
Unread 12-05-2014, 06:24 PM   #3
ggrassmid

This is what I got. Works pretty good so far.
http://www.amazon.com/BestDealUSA-Bl...Music+Receiver
Unread 12-05-2014, 09:24 PM   #4
ChrisWK
2005 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggrassmid View Post
This is what I got. Works pretty good so far.
http://www.amazon.com/BestDealUSA-Bl...Music+Receiver
I got one too it works good.
Limited HEMI Dark Khaki Pearl SRT8 Full Body Kit, Roof Rails,SRT8 Engine Strut Bar, Lund Rear Spoiler, MYGIG INSTALLED with LOCKPICK, Kenwood Sub,AFE Intake, Taylor Spark Plug Wires,G2 Silver Painted Brake Calipers, Billet Tech Catch Can, Addco Sway Bars Front and Rear, Eibach Lowering Springs,Xenon Volt HID Lows 6k,Chrome SRT Reps
ChrisWK is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-07-2014, 05:18 PM   #5
clemsonscj
2009 WK 

Yeah I saw something like that at BestBuy from iSimple but I like being able to control my music through the radio and display artist info and all that good stuff like other vehicles do. I'd rather not have to mess with my phone while driving. I just don't understand what could have possibly been so difficult about adding music integration if they were already putting Bluetooth technology in the cars.
Black WK Club #134
Unread 12-07-2014, 06:07 PM   #6
ggrassmid

Quote:
Originally Posted by clemsonscj View Post
Yeah I saw something like that at BestBuy from iSimple but I like being able to control my music through the radio and display artist info and all that good stuff like other vehicles do. I'd rather not have to mess with my phone while driving. I just don't understand what could have possibly been so difficult about adding music integration if they were already putting Bluetooth technology in the cars.
Bluetooth streaming (A2DP protocol) had just come out in 2009, and had not been adopted in stereos and phones. iPhone 4 in 2011 was the first iPhone to have Bluetooth with A2DP on it. Bluetooth was just something you used to talk on your phone and not stream music with by 08-09. They might have been able to put in USB ipod control; but it probably became more of a price issue to add that function.
Unread 12-07-2014, 07:28 PM   #7
clemsonscj
2009 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggrassmid View Post
Bluetooth streaming (A2DP protocol) had just come out in 2009, and had not been adopted in stereos and phones. iPhone 4 in 2011 was the first iPhone to have Bluetooth with A2DP on it. Bluetooth was just something you used to talk on your phone and not stream music with by 08-09. They might have been able to put in USB ipod control; but it probably became more of a price issue to add that function.
Well the thing that makes me even more ill is that my jeep came with the adapter to play an iPod through the radio, but mine just gives an error message, I'm guessing because it can't handle the amount of music I have. I've got about 27GB of music on my phone.
Black WK Club #134
Unread 12-08-2014, 04:07 AM   #8
ggrassmid

Apple may have stop supporting the old connection devices. That stuff takes up room in iOS. The storage is on the ipod itself, but if the radio is trying to index it all, that may be where the problem lies.
Find an ipod from 2009 and use that.
Unread 12-08-2014, 05:37 PM   #9
eastwoodla
2009 WK 

Or get a my gig lock pick air
http://www.coastaletech.com/mygigair.htm
eastwoodla is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-09-2014, 06:53 AM   #10
chevra
2008 WK 

The lock pick air looks like an awesome device. But the price tag on it steers me away... The couple features I want from it like streaming music isnt worth that money. I will stick to using an AUX cord for now.
chevra is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-09-2014, 01:47 PM   #11
clemsonscj
2009 WK 

I think what I'm gonna do is save up for a bit and just get a Kenwood Nav/DVD unit. That way I can get the Bluetooth streaming, Garmin nav, and all the other bells and whistles for not much more than the lockpick and less than an upgraded MyGIG with more features.
Black WK Club #134
Unread 12-09-2014, 02:25 PM   #12
eastwoodla
2009 WK 

I had a double din pioneer in my other jeep with bluetooth and all the whistles, granted no GPS, but I could stream maps on my phone to it and it had apps that you could use for navigation on the system but I like the idea of upgrading the mygig better than replacing it for aftermarket.

When I used bluetooth calling everyone would complain that they couldn't hear me and the microphone was set on the odometer shelf. Now with mygig bluetooth calling I'm told the sound is crystal clear. I also like the naviagtion with the mygig.

I had the harness that kept the factory steering controls but they didn't always work correctly, and that was annoying.

I also added a backup camera to the pioneer HU and it was a huge pain. and I never could figure out how to make it come on automatically. The mygig makes adding backup cameras very simple. it has the power video in and ground all right there. Not to mention the whole thing is plug and play. no wires to splice or any of that mess. If you're not electronically savvy you'll be paying some money for someone to install your kenwood.

Personally i'd just rather update the factory stuff than get an aftermarket, but that's just my opinion.
Unread 12-14-2014, 12:19 PM   #13
clemsonscj
2009 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastwoodla View Post
I had a double din pioneer in my other jeep with bluetooth and all the whistles, granted no GPS, but I could stream maps on my phone to it and it had apps that you could use for navigation on the system but I like the idea of upgrading the mygig better than replacing it for aftermarket.

When I used bluetooth calling everyone would complain that they couldn't hear me and the microphone was set on the odometer shelf. Now with mygig bluetooth calling I'm told the sound is crystal clear. I also like the naviagtion with the mygig.

I had the harness that kept the factory steering controls but they didn't always work correctly, and that was annoying.

I also added a backup camera to the pioneer HU and it was a huge pain. and I never could figure out how to make it come on automatically. The mygig makes adding backup cameras very simple. it has the power video in and ground all right there. Not to mention the whole thing is plug and play. no wires to splice or any of that mess. If you're not electronically savvy you'll be paying some money for someone to install your kenwood.

Personally i'd just rather update the factory stuff than get an aftermarket, but that's just my opinion.
12V electronics are my thing actually. I've installed remote starts and all kinds of aftermarket head units in cars. And you should have seen all the bells and whistles I added to my F250 when I had my remote start in that. That I'm not worried about. I also look forward to a different backup camera because my factory one is trash! The picture looks like the camera is full of dirty water.
Black WK Club #134

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.