JeepForum.com

JeepForum.com (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/)
-   WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f67/)
-   -   Unusual CRD problem (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f67/unusual-crd-problem-513268/)

Jeeptheone 01-28-2008 02:08 PM

Unusual CRD problem

The dealer and I are trying to solve an issue with my CRD. What happens is the engine fault light comes on, the engine runs rough for a diesel and I get a very pungent smell similar to H2S (rotten egg gas) from the exhaust and the OBD2 fault code P2A00 - O2 sensor circ/Perf Bank1/Sens 1 comes up. Fuel economy goes out the window as fell.

To date injectors, O2 sensor etc have been changed but the fault still comes up intermittently. Has anyone else had the same fault code come up or have a similar smell from the exhaust who has a CRD? One train of though is the Exhaust Gas Recirculation Valve sticking?

Any thoughts????

JTO

merlinTec 01-28-2008 03:03 PM

Hi
The 05 had a lot of wiring issues, I would look where it bends around the back of the head towards the turbo and where it drops down at the front of the head. But no not had that fault.
Regards,
Merlin

Jeeptheone 01-28-2008 08:39 PM

merlinTec,

I have been told by DC in Aust that this is a one of a kind issue that no one else in the world has experienced to date. The wiring harness has been changed to the PCM, PCM x 2, Injectors twice and the 02 sensor twice just to let you know the effort thye have gone to.

Thanks for the advice.

JTO

menoche 01-28-2008 09:00 PM

1-What kind of Diesel are you using?
2-Have you decontaminated your Fuel tank?
3-H2S usually happens when combustion is not complete
4-was a compression test done? (valve clearance)
5-Was the catalitic converter checked?
6-did you check air flow? air filter clogged, boost pressure, back pressure.

One thing I would also check is the computer readings of O2 sensor vs load vs boost pressure. One possibility is the feedback loop isn't receiving O2 info properly.

Before replacing anymore parts, log data from the ECU to make sure information is properly fed to the computer. the culprit will be outstanding and you can work the culprit from there.

A good tech should be able to diagnose this with a starscan or advanced obdII reader in half an hour. After that, its fiddling with the wires to find out where the problem is.

From what you said, I would suspect two things

A-your ECU needs a reflash and reset to get rid of any bad event that might have dephase your timing tables or a bug in the code

B-you have a faulty ground on one of the sensors.

Hope this gives you and your tech some more insight to debug your problem.

I'm sorry if my vocabulary doesn't exactly match the chrysler terms but I am way more advanced in the subaru world of problem solving ;)

Phil

Jeeptheone 01-28-2008 09:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by menoche
1-What kind of Diesel are you using?
2-Have you decontaminated your Fuel tank?
3-H2S usually happens when combustion is not complete
4-was a compression test done? (valve clearance)
5-Was the catalitic converter checked?
6-did you check air flow? air filter clogged, boost pressure, back pressure.

Phil

1. The diesel has always been Caltex from the first fill as it was a lease vehicle (we do have crap diesel in Australia)
2. Fuel system was flushed at 26000KM's

Not sure what else the dealer did, we had the experts up from Head Office to take a look but have not heard anything in return yet.

JTO

merlinTec 01-29-2008 11:09 AM

Hi
What are the environmental data when the fault is there? Do you have star mobile on so you can have it in fight recorder mode when the fault is there so it can record more data? How often does it happen and is there anything you are doing when it does or can you make it happen?
Regards,
Merlin

Jeeptheone 01-30-2008 12:36 AM

Merlin,

The dealer mentioned that all the right readings were coming out the back at the time of the fault and they had the Grand for 5 days and also the Chrysler Jeep guys came from Head Office. Vibration in the car makes no difference on or offroad and the fault light does not flicker on and off so I would rule out a floating earth/short. It will happen at any time from initial startup to driving along and it comes on. They are going to change the Exhaust Gas Recirc Valve Friday and see what happens from there. I have now had this ongoing for close to 12 months and its starting to wear thin.

I will ask the dealer what data the CJ boys took away with them but seems to be a one in a million issue!

JTO

menoche 01-31-2008 07:20 AM

1- If it's being going on for 12 months, ask for a replacement vehicle until they fix this as it might become a security issue
2-swapping parts until you get the right one might not solve the problem at all.
3-Have they checks the fuel rail pressure? the injectors might jam open....

Jeeptheone 01-31-2008 03:34 PM

Australian does not have any lemon laws and as such the issue needs to be taken up with the dealer and then Chysler Jeep and how they see the problem from there point of view. At this stage the fault code seems to be non associated with the symptoms and this is what is stumping all of us. The fuel rail pressures are ok as when they changed the PCM the new injectors did not want to talk to it and then they reprogrammed them to do so with some issues.

- Fuel system is ok with no issues including injectors
- No blockages in the intake, turbo and intercooler etc
- No other fault codes appear apart from the P2A00
- O2 sensor is in fine working order
- Correct exhaust gasses and within the emmision limits exist
- All wiring is ok as the wiring harness was changed due to the battery acid eating through it at 10000Km's (dont ask!)
- I have the scangauge II and monitor constantly the manifold pressure, temps, etc and all are in order and can see what code exists when the light comes on. No other abnormalities.

Its in today at Jeep getting the 50K service and they will be looking at it again. If any fix occurs I will keep you posted.

JTO

merlinTec 01-31-2008 03:54 PM

Hi
With your scan gauge will it show actual fuel pressure and set point fuel pressure? Or does it have this in the environmental data set with the DTC.
Funny you said the injectors didn’t want to talk, I see this almost daily with dealer not knowing they have to program the injectors in to get it to start after ECM replacement and most still have problems doing it with reading the injector codes as a 1 could be an I or l.
If you are limited to what info you can see / record I would push for star mobile, even get technical to lend you one if the dealer doesn’t have one as it’s not a must have tool and only the US got a half price deal on the price of it.
Please keep us up to date how you get on.
Regards,
Merlin

Jeeptheone 02-01-2008 12:03 AM

They did the 50K service and a few other bits and pieces but the replacement EGR valve was not in the counrty yet so it was not changed. Intrestingly enough the engine light has no come on again which is good but only time will tell.

It will be in again in a week or so for the EGR valve replacement and we will see if that changes anything?

JTO

miles85 06-15-2013 12:35 PM

I have had a similar experience. I purchased my 2008 CRD at a used dealership in February. The next day the CEL light comes on. Take it back to them. They say they can change the oxygen sensor as it is the culprit (no charge for part or labour). A month down the road CEL comes back on. They scan it and say no problem, probably just fuel filler cap (that's what they all say).

Now in the second month the CEL has come back on. I scan with my new ODB code read and get P2A00. I clear the code yet CEL is still on. Re-scan, no codes. WTF?

I get a smell of sulphur once in a while too. I thought it was a diesel thing (first diesel I've owned).

Now I have a CEL and no codes what gives?

did you ever get yours sorted out?

TurboDiesel 06-15-2013 01:17 PM

try taking the negative off ur battery for 5 min

suzieque 06-15-2013 01:44 PM

You may need to go to an authorized dealer with the starscan. The generic code reader may not understand the jeep or crd specific code.
I wonder if you have a clogged diesel particulate filter (dpf). A clogged dpf is the result of short duration driving and maybe even the incorrect motor oil. The crd, like all diesel engines perform best when taken out and occasionally driven hard. The only way to clean the dpf is to physically remove it and flush with chemicals. Some owners have cleaned it with a pressure washer. The there is also after market programming to disable he dpf entirely, then you just have an exhaust shop remove it and replace with a piece of straight pipe.

miles85 06-16-2013 04:42 PM

No more CEL. When I started it up to go get beer yesterday it was gone.

The time now is 01:14 AM.