Unsolved Problem w CRD Grand Cherokee - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > Unsolved Problem w CRD Grand Cherokee

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineFS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectSavvy Aluminum Gas Tank Skid

Unread 08-20-2014, 10:44 AM   #1
matt0135
2008 WK 

Unsolved Problem w CRD Grand Cherokee

Hi there,

This is my first post on jeep forums and I'm looking for some help with my jeep. Its a 2008 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo with the CRD 3.0L Diesel Engine. Love this SUV to death and desperately need to solve this problem!

Description:

For about 2 weeks the engine has been acting up, I'll be driving at any speed (high or low RPM's, even when parked and idling) and the engine will sound like it jumps, the engine starts sounding rough and the temperature gauge starts to rise abnormally, even if the engine is cold. This will happen for a few minutes or seconds then stop. Very random and does not happen every time I drive the car, but malfunctions at least once per day. I don't necessarily loose power when it happens but I worry about the engine overheating and nothing I've done seems to fix it.

The computer told us to change the EGR valve and Coolant temperature sensor. Still the same problem. We also replaced the fuel filter, air filter, and oil filter.

The computer no longer shows any fault codes, except for 4 glow plugs which need replacement. I do not think this is relevant to the problem since they've needed replacement for a year now and will be replaced today.

Anyone experience the same problem with their Jeep and have a potential solution for me?

Thanks for you time!

matt0135 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-20-2014, 10:51 AM   #2
BAH101
2008 WK 

You said the temp begins to rise, does it go back down once the 'roughness' ends?
Do you have a way to check your voltage? Maybe check when it happens, maybe the alternator is screwing up, or seizing, causing your belt to slip. That might cause the water pump to slow, or stop causing your temps to increase during the session.
Unread 08-20-2014, 10:58 AM   #3
matt0135
2008 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BAH101 View Post
You said the temp begins to rise, does it go back down once the 'roughness' ends?
Do you have a way to check your voltage? Maybe check when it happens, maybe the alternator is screwing up, or seizing, causing your belt to slip. That might cause the water pump to slow, or stop causing your temps to increase during the session.
Hi,

Yes the temps go back to normal when the roughness ends. I wish I could describe it better. It sounds like it could be miss firing but that's just a shot in the dark.

Im sure I have a way to measure voltage at the shop but 9/10 the issue happens when driving the vehicle. Only once did it do this during idle. I'll give it a try though thanks!
matt0135 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-20-2014, 11:14 AM   #4
TangoTango
2008 WK 

Hook up a good scanner to it while driving and see what is going on. (you may need to get the dealer to do this). I had a similar problem on another diesel and what was happening was the PCM thought the car was going 135mph and would limit switch-off the engine. Was a bad wire in the harness.
TangoTango is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-20-2014, 02:25 PM   #5
BAH101
2008 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt0135
Hi, Yes the temps go back to normal when the roughness ends. I wish I could describe it better. It sounds like it could be miss firing but that's just a shot in the dark. Im sure I have a way to measure voltage at the shop but 9/10 the issue happens when driving the vehicle. Only once did it do this during idle. I'll give it a try though thanks!
You could pull your serpentine belt and check for roughness in the water pump, alternator, idler wheel and belt tensioner.
Unread 08-20-2014, 04:11 PM   #6
Chirpz

2007 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BAH101 View Post
You could pull your serpentine belt and check for roughness in the water pump, alternator, idler wheel and belt tensioner.
This sound like a good thing to check. I was going to ask.... How many miles is on the Jeep and How old is the belt?
EHM MOD, Garmin Mechanic EcoHD, K&N Filter (Deleted)
Chirpz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-20-2014, 08:16 PM   #7
tnadanzig

2007 WK 

I would agree with checking the serpentine belt and pulleys. You could also have a problem with your thermostat. I would also check your injection system. Does the rail pressure fluctuate when this happens? If you have any kind of OBD 2 monitor you can see if some basic systems are giving you a problem. Does the boost pressure change as well?
2007 3.0L CRD WK LTD - Stage 2 Custom Spooling Tune, Go Fast Parts
Pro-lite Build
2003 F250 6.0L CCLB - Gearhead Tunes
tnadanzig is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-20-2014, 08:18 PM   #8
ttusqrl
WK Supporter
2005 WK 

Air in the cooling system can cause the temperature flux as well.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.