Unserviceable main shaft u-joints? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > Unserviceable main shaft u-joints?

FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineFS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options!

Unread 12-16-2015, 09:48 PM   #1
Curlybandit

Unserviceable main shaft u-joints?

Hey everyone.

I have an earlier thread on here regarding an odd vibration I was getting in my 2008 JGCO CRD.

I've heard back from the dealer that we bought it from and their technician has diagnosed the problem as a seized main shaft u-joint. I spoke with them again and apparently the main shaft and u-joints is an unserviceable unit and requires a complete replacement part from Jeep. The cost is in the range of $1700.00 for the replacement part. I've been told that the component is rather unique in comparison to others the technician has seen.

The option I've been given is to have the main shaft sent to be rebuilt to replace the u-joints and to make the component serviceable in the future should one d them fail again.

Sorry for the newbish inquiry but I'm very new to this vehicle and have only ever owned FWD.

Has anyone heard of this?

Curlybandit is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-17-2015, 06:51 AM   #2
Curlybandit

I did a little digging this morning and think a clearer picture is starting to form:

- http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f67/w...shaft-1316405/

- OEM Part: 52853003AF
Unread 12-17-2015, 07:40 AM   #3
Nejeep

I have not heard of any shops that can "rebuild" the OEM rear u-joints, but maybe someone figured out a way.

Here is a little newer thread on replacement drive shafts and u-joints. Some are reportably being sold on ebay now. http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f67/g...views-3483658/

97 Laredo - 4.0 4x4 Daily driver for 8 years then relocated to Arizona for 6 more years with the relatives
Nejeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-17-2015, 12:34 PM   #4
Walt
2008 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curlybandit View Post
Hey everyone.

I have an earlier thread on here regarding an odd vibration I was getting in my 2008 JGCO CRD.

I've heard back from the dealer that we bought it from and their technician has diagnosed the problem as a seized main shaft u-joint. I spoke with them again and apparently the main shaft and u-joints is an unserviceable unit and requires a complete replacement part from Jeep. The cost is in the range of $1700.00 for the replacement part. I've been told that the component is rather unique in comparison to others the technician has seen.

The option I've been given is to have the main shaft sent to be rebuilt to replace the u-joints and to make the component serviceable in the future should one d them fail again.

Sorry for the newbish inquiry but I'm very new to this vehicle and have only ever owned FWD.

Has anyone heard of this?
MOPAR does not sell servicing components for these driveshafts. When mine went bad, the entire rear driveshaft was replaced at ~$1,200. It also ruined the output seal on the transfer case, so that was replaced also. Luckily, powertrain warranty covered everything.
Have seen some posts in other threads that aftermarket suppliers now produce driveshafts with replaceable U-joints. You'll have to do a search on this forum for more specifics.
HEMI CLUB MEMBER #45; SILVER WK CLUB MEMBER #13
'08 WK GC Limited. 5.7L HEMI. Quadra-Trac II. Bright Silver Metallic. Class IV hitch.
Michelin LTX M/S tires. Fumoto oil drain valve. Billet Technology oil catch can.
Walt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-17-2015, 01:36 PM   #5
hearld5000
2011 WK 

You would be crazy to get a new one.
http://spaldings.hollanderstores.com/PartSearch Go for a low mileage used one for under $100.
hearld5000 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-17-2015, 01:40 PM   #6
Curlybandit

This is all great info.

Thanks everyone.

I heard back from my dealer. The shop that is rebuilding/building the driveshaft should have it completed by later this afternoon. By the sounds of it I believe it will be a newly built aftermarket component that will be serviceable in the future. It will come with a warranty as well.

I'll post more details as I get them.
Unread 12-18-2015, 04:29 PM   #7
Curlybandit

Just heard back from my dealer.

The original shaft is unserviceable and was not rebuilt. A local shop that specializes in driveline parts built a custom piece with grease fittings and serviceable components. I'm going to assume it's probably identical to the one in the link I attached in a previous post on this thread.

The part came out to $760 CAD taxes in. I'll get the information of the shop and post it on this forum for anyone looking to have the same part built.
Unread 12-19-2015, 08:33 AM   #8
Curlybandit

So here it is.

I snapped a pic of the underside of the Jeep this morning. Looks essentially the same as the custom built one in the link I posted earlier.

Here's the contact info of the location. They're located in Oshawa, Ontario Canada (just east of Toronto).

Unread 12-19-2015, 09:45 AM   #9
LouC
2007 WK 

Looks good. How is it in terms of noise and freedom from vibrations?
Unread 12-19-2015, 01:05 PM   #10
Curlybandit

Quote:
Originally Posted by LouC View Post
Looks good. How is it in terms of noise and freedom from vibrations?
I drove it 70km on the highway home. Under hard and gradual acceleration it stayed smooth. The vibration during deceleration is gone completely. There weren't any noticeable uncharacteristic sounds during the drive home. Just the sweet sound of the diesel at an unreasonably high RPM at cruising speeds (common' Jeep! At least one more gear!).
Unread 12-20-2015, 09:41 AM   #11
LouC
2007 WK 

Thanks for the feed back. There are a number of driveline shops here so if I needed one made I could get it done locally. BTW our old '98 ZJ still has the original non greaseable (but serviceable ) joints in both the front and rear driveshafts. These models also used the same U joints in the front axle half shafts. Those are original too. 17 years old and 163,000 miles...
Unread 12-20-2015, 03:59 PM   #12
Whitbread
2008 WK 

I just went through this on mine as well. What an idiotic piece of engineering. After some calling around, Indy Driveshaft in Indianapolis has a shaft in their catalog just for WK crd's. $395 and it was on my doorstep two days later. It's steel with normal U joints.
Whitbread is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-02-2016, 02:36 PM   #13
MladenD
2007 WK 

U joint replacement

Hi, I'm new to the forum. I just wanted to share with everyone another option in Toronto area. I took my drive shaft to a shop called Cardanic, they replaced the original u joint with a greasable one. This is good option since they remove very little metal so it keeps the strength. I've been driving the jeep since november and its worked great. They charge $250 CAD per u joint, I did both ends . Here is their info if anyone needs it

CARDANIC
175 Toryork Drive, Unit 61, Weston, ON
Tel: 416-743-6500
dsc_0156.jpg   dsc_0157.jpg  
MladenD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.