"Unintended acceleration" 2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > "Unintended acceleration" 2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo

SPARTAN LOCKERS are on sale BIG TIME at ROCKRIDGE 4WD!Jeep Grand Cherokee Mirror - Side ViewJeep Grand Cherokee Headlight Assemblies

Unread 06-08-2006, 03:55 PM   #1
mknight

"Unintended acceleration" 2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo

A friend of mine has a 2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo that decided to climb some stairs after she parked. She is convinced that the gas pedal stuck when she removed her foot to apply the brake to put in Park.

Has anybody else heard anything like this for this year/make/model? Kind of suspicious as Chrysler sent a representative out to "investigate" the problem. Hmmmmmm...............

I know they Jeep Grand Cherokee's had "unintended acceleration" problems in the past.

Please e-mail me at melissaknight1969@yahoo.com with any imput/opinions, etc.

Thank you!

mknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-08-2006, 03:56 PM   #2
FPKites
ZJjazzyJim

1996 ZJ 

I think there's a recall on that, but not sure. Make sure to tell your friend to check with the dealership.
Best customer service in the states:

Best mod you'll ever do on ANY vehicle!!!!

FPKites is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-08-2006, 04:07 PM   #3
drewman141
Gas Guzzler

1994 ZJ 

Part of the problem is that the pedals are too close together. So if you step on the edge of the brake pedal you will depress the accelerator and the accelerator responds way before the brakes do. I know it sounds stupid but it is very true. I did this once during the first couple of days I owned the WK and went straight through a red light and almost soiled myself and dropped a few f-bombs. Needless to say I now use my entire foot centered on the pedals. Not to mention I have heard of other complaining about this same issue.

MUST GO! 1994 Limited ZJ 5.2L V8 - Light Driftwood Satin Glow
It's a 94 5.2L Limited - trxus 33's on 15x7 steelies, 4.56s w/ front OX and rear trutrac, NP242 swap, novak shift kit, Kevin's ultimate 4.5" lift + ACOS, ARB front bumper w/warn M8000, rear tomkin machine bumper w/ tire carrier, kevin's hardore railz, kevin's ultimate tc skid, kevin's trackbar conversion, rusty's gas skid, flexalite efan, Kolak's performance ignition and brake upgrades. ViAir OBA, custom storage/sub box and I'm sure there's a bunch of other things I'm missing. Everything is a little over 3 years old with less than 10K miles. Looking to get around $4k.

drewman141 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-08-2006, 04:08 PM   #4
FPKites
ZJjazzyJim

1996 ZJ 

Thanks Drew, I remembered reading about it, but didn't remember if it was a dealer corrected item or not.
Best customer service in the states:

Best mod you'll ever do on ANY vehicle!!!!

FPKites is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-08-2006, 04:15 PM   #5
drewman141
Gas Guzzler

1994 ZJ 

Yeah there's nothing listed on Wkjeeps.com about it and I never got any response from the dealer about it. It's just something you need to be conscious about when stepping on the pedals until you retrain yourself.

MUST GO! 1994 Limited ZJ 5.2L V8 - Light Driftwood Satin Glow
It's a 94 5.2L Limited - trxus 33's on 15x7 steelies, 4.56s w/ front OX and rear trutrac, NP242 swap, novak shift kit, Kevin's ultimate 4.5" lift + ACOS, ARB front bumper w/warn M8000, rear tomkin machine bumper w/ tire carrier, kevin's hardore railz, kevin's ultimate tc skid, kevin's trackbar conversion, rusty's gas skid, flexalite efan, Kolak's performance ignition and brake upgrades. ViAir OBA, custom storage/sub box and I'm sure there's a bunch of other things I'm missing. Everything is a little over 3 years old with less than 10K miles. Looking to get around $4k.

drewman141 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-08-2006, 09:26 PM   #6
Jetjock16

That had happened to me more then once off roading in my 94 GC..... try to hit break and both pedals get pressed.... the engine wins.... almost crashed both times...(was off road situations thank goodness)... It can happen very easily... there has been recalls for last 10 years on this... they still have them pedals too close!
Jetjock16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-09-2006, 12:08 AM   #7
reneveah
2003 WJ 

I alwasy thought they were too close, but from the time I started to drive, about 3 years now, I use my right foot for gas and left for brake, always have done this. For me its easier, and I have a faster responce time and, I dont hit the gas. I have aftermarket pedals in my jeep and that brings them closer yet, but I dont have a problem, bu I did notice that they are very close
Unread 02-22-2010, 12:19 PM   #8
charlope
2008 JK Wrangler 

The V8 jeeps are not allowed at our octopus car washes due to the death of multple people caused by unintetional acceleration
charlope is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-23-2010, 06:01 AM   #9
ratmonkey
R.I.P.

1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlope View Post
The V8 jeeps are not allowed at our octopus car washes due to the death of multple people caused by unintetional acceleration
ok....that'd be ALL over the news if it were true.

99% of the problems are with people unsure of the pedal placement in jeeps. they're pretty much all like that. .5% can be attributed to stuck throttle cables and another .5% to the newest drive by wire systems failing.
i will not own a drive by wire vehicle until all normal cars are off the road completely.

ratmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-23-2010, 01:33 PM   #10
comptiger5000
1998 ZJ 

I hate drive by wire as well, but mostly because the pedals don't have the same feel, they're almost mushy in some cars. Not only that, but they tend to have a longer travel, and they lag, so you don't have the nice instant response.
comptiger5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-23-2010, 01:40 PM   #11
ezflip
Theme Park Dinosaur Head

2002 WJ 

4 year old thread (in the wrong forum no less) being resurrected for.....

2002 Overland - 4.7 HO, "Select-Drive", 4" RC long arms, TAG front winch bumper, 32" BFG KM's, Kolak 3" exhaust, Flowmaster 50 series

Build Thread

KCCO
ezflip is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-23-2010, 01:43 PM   #12
Texas WJ
Web Wheeler

2005 WK 

Quote:

What nonsense.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.